Who Should Start At Quarterback This Week

Eagle-96

His downfield passing is certainly an issue.

It is an issue, but our total inability to give him time or establish the run and a terrible performance in the play-calling dept. are what's forcing him into a position where he NEEDS to pass downfield. Let's stick with the guy who has a little experience now, and let's see if he can lead.

ESPECIALLY this week, with a DEFINATE LOSS, keep him in an get him the reps and experience.

Ask me this question AFTER a loss to Troy, and I'll be feeling different about it.

Edited by yyz28

If Daniel gets some confidence in his arm this week, I'd say start him. Both of his INTs were on underthrown passes, and right now, there's too much invested in him to pull the plug. I'd definitely get Phillips a series or two, just to see what he's got up his sleeve.

If Daniel still struggles with the deep ball and his confidence in the pocket... well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Too early to change? I don't remember too many people saying that in 2003 when Andrew wasn't tearing up the big boys.

I say put Korey Washington in there. Add a new dimension to the game that the defense has to think about.

If we continue to let the opposing defense to successfully follow the game plan of S. Miss., put the QB (I prefer Haynes) in the gun on virtually every play. One/two seconds is not enough time for any quarterback to setup for a pass downfield from under center.

If not, just snap the ball directly to PC/JT. From what I've seen so far, PC probably has a better arm than Meagher and that formation worked pretty well for us in grade school. smile.gif

Since i was unable to view the game, (the live video feed did not pan out as I had hoped) I'd like some feedbackon this. DD use to run a play from time to time that had Hall immediatly roll out of the pocket and look downfield. I think it's called a "waggle". This seemed to buy him some time. Did he run this at all with Meager? It seems whatever QB we have will get pressured early and this play seems like a good way of buying a little extra time. I'm no coach, so tell me if I'm wrong, or if this is a difficult manuver to learn for a young QB?

How can he take "Forever", when the line couldn't give him enough time to even set up in the pocket?

I saw at least 2 or three plays where he had plenty of time, at least 5 seconds to make the play. Maybe the recievers were covered but I heard several times people around me commenting on him missing wide open recievers time after time.

Since i was unable to view the game, (the live video feed did not pan out as I had hoped) I'd like some feedbackon this.  DD use to run a play from time to time that had Hall immediatly roll out of the pocket and look downfield.   I think it's called a "waggle".  This seemed to buy him some time.  Did he run this at all with Meager?  It seems whatever QB we have will get pressured early and this play seems like a good way of buying a little extra time.  I'm no coach, so tell me if I'm wrong, or if this is a difficult manuver to learn for a young QB?

Not many designed rollouts from DD on Saturday. The problem was that Tulsa was bringing linebackers and safeties off the corners all night long. The line wasn't truely staked as much as it was 8-9 guys lined up almost single file along the line. The pocket collapsed too quick to allow PC, and J-Mo to take advantage of the zone blocking scheme we employ. For that to really work, the rb has to have time to see where the hole opens up and then hit essetially the best hole in any number of gaps. Any time we ran the zone block, PC and J-Mo would wait for the hole but they would get hit in the backfield or get bottled up in the pocket and go for 1-2 yards. Mitchell is just not big enough to pick up 250 lb linebackers on the blitz protection. We either need to start using our younger and bigger fullbacks or place some tight ends back there as H-backs to provide some protection. I know you guys don't want to hear this but DD needed to employ some short handoffs to the up backs, quick draws, and QB draws to get Tulsa to quit bringing their defenders outside. He needed to allow Meager to check-off and call the hot route. He needed to allow the receivers the flexibility to cut their routes into slants and skinny posts instead of the same old go route.

Edited by Eagle-96

Guest JohnDenver

Since i was unable to view the game, (the live video feed did not pan out as I had hoped) I'd like some feedbackon this.  DD use to run a play from time to time that had Hall immediatly roll out of the pocket and look downfield.  I think it's called a "waggle".  This seemed to buy him some time.  Did he run this at all with Meager?  It seems whatever QB we have will get pressured early and this play seems like a good way of buying a little extra time.  I'm no coach, so tell me if I'm wrong, or if this is a difficult manuver to learn for a young QB?

Yes, this play was run *many times. It results in many sacks. Meager had the time on these rollouts, but didn't detect the pressure and got caught from behind. I counted every time he went back to pass and more often than not he had plenty of time to mke a decision. However, me watching and counting prevented me from watching the coverage downfield. Perhaps they were "coverage sacks?" I can't really say. I can say that the OL is protecting the QB, there are plenty of blockers back there covering him. PC does an awesome job blocking the LB or DB coming in on a blitz.

Edit: When I say *many, I mean more than once. It wasn't every pass play in this formation -- as it appeared to be with Hall.

Edited by JohnDenver

seriously, until Maydayger can throw deep and is healthy play Phillips...

"Maydayger"...Havent heard him called that before... pretty freakin funny. Danny is a good kid, and plays smart. There just seems to be something wrong with his arm strength. We need Meager at 100%, so I say give Phillips a start and lets get the stronger arm in untill Meager is ready. I know arm strength doesnt equate to wins, but we need to try something to spark the passing game.

Of course, I will be okay with whatever the Ole Ball Coach does. This week has become the test of many of our levels of confidence. I have become a Darrell Dickey L&A, and think he has earned that after four Conference Championships.

GMG!!!