Grant Newell............Transfer From Cal

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I hope we are bigger than 6'8" at the center position.

Greatest center I ever saw here.....was maybe 6'7" ....Kenny Williams. 

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Greatest center I ever saw here.....was maybe 6'7" ....Kenny Williams. 

I'd take Kenny Williams again in a heartbeat.  He was definitely an exception.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

"Memphis, UAB and @MeanGreenMBB have all been battling to see not only which team had the best offseason, but which will be the king of the #AACBB "

I am pretty happy with what Hodge and staff have done.  But, Memphis is kicking butt. Last I heard, they had a top 10 transfer class in the country. UAB looks great also.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, akriesman said:

"Memphis, UAB and @MeanGreenMBB have all been battling to see not only which team had the best offseason, but which will be the king of the #AACBB "

I am pretty happy with what Hodge and staff have done.  But, Memphis is kicking butt. Last I heard, they had a top 10 transfer class in the country. UAB looks great also.

Memphis did the same last year, correct?  That team was mentally weak, and played a game reflective of their coach’s NBA background. No defense and a bunch of one on one offense. UAB, because of Kennedy, worries me much more than a Hardaway led Memphis.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Wrote about it a little on the site -- I like his versatility. He can step out and shoot it, he can drive, etc. Reminds me of some of what A Scott did for NT in his 2022 season. GN is not a supreme athlete -- not going to sky over dudes -- but he can run the floor and finish at the rim. There's a ton to like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

Wrote about it a little on the site -- I like his versatility. He can step out and shoot it, he can drive, etc. Reminds me of some of what A Scott did for NT in his 2022 season. GN is not a supreme athlete -- not going to sky over dudes -- but he can run the floor and finish at the rim. There's a ton to like. 

Sounds like he’s already better than AScott. I thought AScott underperformed from all the hype he got. Soft when finishing. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

Sounds like he’s already better than AScott. I thought AScott underperformed from all the hype he got. Soft when finishing. 

Aaron was great when he was in a defined role: attack close-outs, catch-and-shoot, and backdoor cuts to go with his hustle points. When we asked him to go one-on-one and expand his game, he struggled. Scott was a winner though, and made some huge plays in huge moments (thinking about Vegas) and if Newell can live up to that, we can have that discussion. 

In the limited looks we have of Newell, we see he is a little more smooth with the ball. I imagine we will ask him to do the defined-role type stuff but if he looks like he can create his own looks then why not? All that will be evident in summer and fall though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Aaron was great when he was in a defined role: attack close-outs, catch-and-shoot, and backdoor cuts to go with his hustle points. When we asked him to go one-on-one and expand his game, he struggled. Scott was a winner though, and made some huge plays in huge moments (thinking about Vegas) and if Newell can live up to that, we can have that discussion. 

In the limited looks we have of Newell, we see he is a little more smooth with the ball. I imagine we will ask him to do the defined-role type stuff but if he looks like he can create his own looks then why not? All that will be evident in summer and fall though. 

AScott was great for us defensively, I’m not denying that. However, my issue with him was offensively. We needed him to really step up, but that just wasn’t in his bag. I also thought he went up soft down low. Just my 2 cents

• Lovely Take 2