Portal Possibilities???

Now that we know we have at least 2 open slots, please list realistic UNT portal possibilities. Recent history has shown that the team will go Juco in its search. However, some notable local names to ponder: 

Cameron Barnes - Slim 6-10 kid just entered the portal from Ole Miss. Still raw but started at center for powerhouse Duncanville the last 3 years. Should be a redshirt                                              freshman

Drew Steffe -  Never played his freshman season at Tech. Family issues caused him to withdraw from the program. Big time 6-5 recruit out of Frisco Memorial. Great shooter.

Davion Sykes - Texas State transfer and another former Duncanville Panther. Good wing prospect that may have undersigned

Eddie Lampkin Jr - Colorado & TCU transfer. 6-11, 265 from Morton Ranch HS in Houston. Would move right into the starting center position.

Ashton Smith - 6-9, 270 from Oral Roberts. Played with Aaron Smith in HS. Not great but a big body

Duncan Powell - Sacramento State & NC State transfer from DeSoto, TX. Played one year with Chris Morgan. 

Micah Peevy - TCU & Texas Tech - Excellent player out of Duncanville HS where he played for father David. Will more than likely stay P5 or enter the draft

Jakobe Coles - TCU & Oklahoma - 6-7 C/F that played on a very good Denton Guyer team

Alex Anamekwe - UT transfer. Very good HS player out of McKinney HS. 6-5

Lee Dort - Vanderbilt transfer. 6-10, 245. May have little interest since he was arrested for aggravated assault of his ex girlfriend. From McKinney, TX

Abou Ousmane - 6-10 big transfer from Xavier. Former Mean Green starting center  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Shark84 said:
  • Central Oklahoma (Division II) guard Jaden Wells: Wells was named a Division II All-American this season with averages of 21.5 points and 4.2 rebounds. He has also heard from programs such as North Texas, Oral Roberts and UT Arlington, per PDT Scouting.

don't love this one...Wells basically has the exact same build and exact same stat line last year as Jason Edwards, but at the D2 level

Wells - 207/503, 41% FG ; 82/237, 35% 3pt FG
Edwards - 214/504, 42.5% ; 84/240. 35% 3pt FG

gotta assume that would regress at the D1 level

29 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

don't love this one...Wells basically has the exact same build and exact same stat line last year as Jason Edwards, but at the D2 level

Wells - 207/503, 41% FG ; 82/237, 35% 3pt FG
Edwards - 214/504, 42.5% ; 84/240. 35% 3pt FG

gotta assume that would regress at the D1 level

Kai was a D2 guy and that worked out well. The fact that OU is interested in him makes me think he may be worth the risk. He is also went to HS in Hurst so he is a local kid. Definitely have to do our research on him. 

1 hour ago, Shark84 said:

Kai was a D2 guy and that worked out well. The fact that OU is interested in him makes me think he may be worth the risk. He is also went to HS in Hurst so he is a local kid. Definitely have to do our research on him. 

I'm not knocking going the D2 route...more that Wells appears to just be an off-brand Jason Edwards based on those shockingly similar stat lines. 

at UM, Kai shot almost 50% from the floor, 42% from 3pt and averaged 19.6ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.3 apg
at UNT Kai shot around 40% from the floor, 31% from 3pt and averaged 12.3ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.2 apg

I think that is a pretty reasonable expectation of regression in production stepping up to the D1 level. Kai was also 6'4" and contributed a ton on the defensive end. 

I guess if Wells is the 6th man Edwards was meant to be, there's value added...I just see another undersized, inefficient volume shooter and get nervous about fit here

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm not knocking going the D2 route...more that Wells appears to just be an off-brand Jason Edwards based on those shockingly similar stat lines. 

at UM, Kai shot almost 50% from the floor, 42% from 3pt and averaged 19.6ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.3 apg
at UNT Kai shot around 40% from the floor, 31% from 3pt and averaged 12.3ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.2 apg

I think that is a pretty reasonable expectation of regression in production stepping up to the D1 level. Kai was also 6'4" and contributed a ton on the defensive end. 

I guess if Wells is the 6th man Edwards was meant to be, there's value added...I just see another undersized, inefficient volume shooter and get nervous about fit here

I don't have a problem with a D2 AA, if we're not having to rely on him as the go-to guy right away.   Certainly can be a scoring option for us, but yeah, with the deliberate pace we play offensively, it's tough to drain shot clock, then kick to a guy like Wells with 3-5 seconds left & expect him to hit with the same efficiency he was hitting at Central OK.   

I don't think it would be a wasted scholarship though.   Kai was great in his role here.

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2024 at 2:34 PM, Cooley said:

Now that we know we have at least 2 open slots, please list realistic UNT portal possibilities. Recent history has shown that the team will go Juco in its search. However, some notable local names to ponder: 

Cameron Barnes - Slim 6-10 kid just entered the portal from Ole Miss. Still raw but started at center for powerhouse Duncanville the last 3 years. Should be a redshirt                                              freshman

Drew Steffe -  Never played his freshman season at Tech. Family issues caused him to withdraw from the program. Big time 6-5 recruit out of Frisco Memorial. Great shooter.

Davion Sykes - Texas State transfer and another former Duncanville Panther. Good wing prospect that may have undersigned

Eddie Lampkin Jr - Colorado & TCU transfer. 6-11, 265 from Morton Ranch HS in Houston. Would move right into the starting center position.

Ashton Smith - 6-9, 270 from Oral Roberts. Played with Aaron Smith in HS. Not great but a big body

Duncan Powell - Sacramento State & NC State transfer from DeSoto, TX. Played one year with Chris Morgan. 

Micah Peevy - TCU & Texas Tech - Excellent player out of Duncanville HS where he played for father David. Will more than likely stay P5 or enter the draft

Jakobe Coles - TCU & Oklahoma - 6-7 C/F that played on a very good Denton Guyer team

Alex Anamekwe - UT transfer. Very good HS player out of McKinney HS. 6-5

Lee Dort - Vanderbilt transfer. 6-10, 245. May have little interest since he was arrested for aggravated assault of his ex girlfriend. From McKinney, TX

Abou Ousmane - 6-10 big transfer from Xavier. Former Mean Green starting center  

Ashton Hardaway, 6-8 Memphis. Penny's son. Played his junior year at Duncanville HS

Wishful thinking but this kid would be a home run:

https://butlersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/finley-bizjack/11340

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cooley said:

Ashton Hardaway, 6-8 Memphis. Penny's son. Played his junior year at Duncanville HS

Wishful thinking but this kid would be a home run:

https://butlersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/finley-bizjack/11340

why would he Bizjack only be wishful thinking? 3-star...TCU/Wisconsin/Butler were his top offers, but everyone else is a pier program or beneath...contributed as a freshman in the Big East, but 4.2ppg, 27% 3pt shooter, didn't exactly light it up. this looks like the ideal candidate...take a small step down a level in order to come back home

On 4/9/2024 at 4:15 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

why would he Bizjack only be wishful thinking? 3-star...TCU/Wisconsin/Butler were his top offers, but everyone else is a pier program or beneath...contributed as a freshman in the Big East, but 4.2ppg, 27% 3pt shooter, didn't exactly light it up. this looks like the ideal candidate...take a small step down a level in order to come back home

Almost certain we offered him out of high school.

• 2 weeks later...