LSU (3/19/24)

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

People who crap over the NIT are pretty lame.  It's TOUGH to make the NCAAs.  Even counting the NIT field, a much greater percentage of teams play in the postseason in basically every major North American sport.  The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all do.  Obviously college football now has 40 something bowl games. 

I don't think people realize how almost impossible it is to get in the Big Dance.  All but....8 or 9 leagues get in only a single team.  And for conference that get in multiple bids, sometimes it's only two or three (even the vaunted Big East only got 3 this year!).  Really only the top few leagues consistently get five or more. 

It really is an entitled mindset. I don't think I will ever understand.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, BigWillie said:

It really is an entitled mindset. I don't think I will ever understand.

Me neither. There's what, 80+ programs in the P6 conferences alone? They can't all be contenders. Mathematically many will have down years every year. Everyone should be excited for postseason ball.

Bringing back the NIT Final Four to MSG I think would be a good first step in regaining some prestige with the tournament. Doubt many "general basketball fans" watched the games in Vegas last year.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Bringing back the NIT Final Four to MSG I think would be a good first step in regaining some prestige with the tournament. Doubt many "general basketball fans" watched the games in Vegas last year.

I don't think returning it to MSG would matter.  In the NIT's history it only hasn't been held there twice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Was looking at some data for this game and found some interesting stats..

Robert Allen is statistically our most important player (ranking 1st in offense, 3rd on defense according to BPR). Buggs is 7th then there is a LARGE drop off to Stone/Sissoko. 

Best 5 man lineup? Edwards, Noland, Buggs, Jones, Allen. Worst? Edwards, Noland, Stone, Scott, Sissoko. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

47 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Was looking at some data for this game and found some interesting stats..

Robert Allen is statistically our most important player (ranking 1st in offense, 3rd on defense according to BPR). Buggs is 7th then there is a LARGE drop off to Stone/Sissoko. 

Best 5 man lineup? Edwards, Noland, Buggs, Jones, Allen. Worst? Edwards, Noland, Stone, Scott, Sissoko. 

Gee, maybe Allen should have been starting??

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

It’s not about who starts. It’s about who finishes and the minutes they get. 

I doubt Michael Jordan or Luka Doncic are starting on the bench.  You put your best players on the floor to begin the game to set the tone and hopefully make the other team get concerned and play from behind.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You put your best players on the floor to begin the game to set the tone and hopefully make the other team get concerned and play from behind.

Have you shared this with Coach Hodge, he needs to know.

In 2022 Tylor Perry came off the bench and was first team all CUSA.

Jelly Walker was POY, 1st team CUSA, and won the 6th man award which I thought meant he did not start.

2022 MBB Postseason Awards (PDF) - Conference USA

You may want to inform Andy Kennedy of this also.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Have you shared this with Coach Hodge, he needs to know.

In 2022 Tylor Perry came off the bench and was first team all CUSA.

Perry's new coach starts him.  Maybe that's why he left?  lol

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Big deal.  Perry's new coach starts him.  

He also started last year.

Selton Miguel from USF was 6th man and 2nd team all AAC this year. Only one teammate was all conference AAC (1st team). Multiple coaches would disagree with the opinion that teams should start all their best players. 

American Athletic Conference Announces Men’s Basketball Honors (theamerican.org)

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Multiple coaches would disagree with the opinion that teams should start all their best players. 

Sorry, far more coaches would say start your best players.  In all sports.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Both sides are correct...

Productivity has to be available off the bench. But it's hard to watch the productivity coming off the bench replace minimal productivity. 

I would love to see more out of Sissoko. But we wouldn't have NIT hardware in our case if it wasn't for Sissoko. So, it's easy for me to want more out of him, but it's hard for me to be upset with him. He took on a difficult challenge in the NIT last year and rose up and played exceptionally well for us. Then stayed to try and do it again. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1