Dartmouth hoops could vote to become first labor union for NCAA athletes

NT80

Pay them. Let them pay for their own classes and tutors. By the way, also take away all of the preferential scheduling and the cherry-picking of the classes and times they get to choose. Since they want to be "employees" can't wait to see someone fired at halftime of a game and asked to clear out their lockers.

P.S. - Maybe they will bargain to eliminate ALL mandated student fees that students get no say in.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

33 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

This will ultimately lead to a much better situation for a tiny sliver of athletes and destroy the opportunity of the vast majority entirely

I have to agree with DentonStank on this point.

• Haha 1

The Ivy League is a completely different situation from D1 athletics, so I fell to see any big issues coming from this.

The players are like the rest of the student body on academic scholarships.  I am not sure what they expect from collective bargaining, but I doubt it is going destroy anything for most college athletes.  

• Eye Roll 2

13 hours ago, DentonStang said:

This will ultimately lead to a much better situation for a tiny sliver of athletes and destroy the opportunity of the vast majority entirely

Excellent point. The problem is not many give a damn about the good of the game. It has become all about "ME." End of the day, it seems most schools and players could care less as long as they are benefiting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't hate the idea of contracts at this point point. You want to take my guy after a big freshman year? OK but you have to pay into my NIL to break his contract.

This is all a slippery slope.  Now they want to go back to defined commitment letters or contracts for periods of time to the school, lol.  Not all athletes in all sports warrant NIL contracts....unless you deem the scholarship a financial contract (which it is). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

This is all a slippery slope.  Now they want to go back to defined commitment letters or contracts for periods of time to the school, lol.  Not all athletes in all sports warrant NIL contracts....unless you deem the scholarship a financial contract (which it is). 

Of course not all athletes warrant an NIL contract but I still think you can sign that contract that requires them to be with you for a minimum amount of time. Say they're not worth it now but you're projecting they will develop into D1 talent, you give them 2 years with a 1 year "team" option that includes NIL money on that 3rd year and if you know P5 schools are sniffing around, you can offer to void that 3rd year for a buyout that goes towards your NIL. There's ways to make it work. All in all, contracts with buyouts are the only way to protect smaller programs with the direction things are going. If you're not familiar with the soccer system in Europe and around the world, look it up. Smaller teams will scout for cheap young talent and hope to develop them into a stud they can sell for tens of millions and then use the earnings to finance multiple positions of need. Take the Chandler Rogers situation, say we had signed him to a 2 year scholarship but then he realized he could earn 6 figures at a P5 school, we could have required a buyout, name our price, and then use the buyout towards NIL money for another young QB and/or some DL. The benefit to schools like UNT is you can turn non-NIL earning players into NIL money. It's not college football as we grew to love it but again, it's probably the only way to give us a chance moving forward.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Take the Chandler Rogers situation, say we had signed him to a 2 year scholarship but then he realized he could earn 6 figures at a P5 school, we could have required a buyout, name our price, and then use the buyout towards NIL money for another young QB and/or some DL. The benefit to schools like UNT is you can turn non-NIL earning players into NIL money. It's not college football as we grew to love it but again, it's probably the only way to give us a chance moving forward.

This is the problem.  The student?/athlete will say he is hostage at NT and being denied the right to earn a big payday.  He will sue to get early release from his commitment....and we're back to where we are now. 

Doesn't sound much like college football anymore.

• Thanks 1

In related NIL news today...

Judge keeps NCAA's restrictions on NIL in place for now

"A judge on Tuesday kept in place for now the NCAA's rules prohibiting name, image and likeness compensation from being used as a recruiting inducement, denying a request for a temporary restraining order by the states of Tennessee and Virginia.

The attorneys general of those states filed a federal antitrust lawsuit in the Eastern District of Tennessee last week that challenged the NCAA's NIL rules, after it was revealed the University of Tennessee was under investigation by the association for potential infractions." ...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39472872/judge-keeps-ncaa-restrictions-nil-place-now

Edited by NT80
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This is the problem.  The student?/athlete will say he is hostage at NT and being denied the right to earn a big payday.  He will sue to get early release from his commitment....and we're back to where we are now. 

Doesn't sound much like college football anymore.

I'm sure in that type of situation, it'll be in the contract that you can't sue to get out of your commitment.

Like I said, not college football as we grew to love but it's the best way for the UNTs to continue existing. You have to protect your investment which in this case is the ability to scout and develop unknown talents. The game is changing no matter what. The goal is for it to change in a way that we can remain a part of it.

And regarding the Twitter post I provided, Coach Pitino has also suggested the P5 conferences plus the Big East have basketball salary caps of $1.5 to $2 million. He added other conferences should get to set their own salary caps as well. He wants the playing field to remain as even as possible. He said every conference should maintain access to the March Madness tournament.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, GMoney said:

If this passes, get ready for the 2-year noncompete clause required by colleges.

Let's see how quickly players who are all about "business" start complaining that real-world-business-rules should not apply to their situations. 

• Upvote 4