Gameday Observation

MeanGreen22

31 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

To provide a chaser to the recent recruiting news: I’ve been extremely impressed with the number of high school visitors this staff/Coach O has been getting out to the games. It’s obviously too early to tell if that translates into big recruiting wins but I like seeing local kids at our games. 

Agree they seem to be having a good time as well.

• Upvote 3

We don’t have the money to compete in the Portal. We have to go the high school route. It is what it is. Why? Because we are North Texas. Don’t fight it. Accept it. 
Many of these high school kids that sign, mature and excel will be purchased by the so called P5’s leaving us constantly trying to keep our heads above water as we yearly seek help again from high school recruits. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 9

3 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

We don’t have the money to compete in the Portal. We have to go the high school route. It is what it is. Why? Because we are North Texas. Don’t fight it. Accept it. 
Many of these high school kids that sign, mature and excel will be purchased by the so called P5’s leaving us constantly trying to keep our heads above water as we yearly seek help again from high school recruits. 

I appreciate you as a poster but this seems to be a very defeatist attitude to me.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

Not all kids in the portal are looking for a payday.  Many just want opportunity to play at a larger program or more reps.

• Upvote 1

Always sign the best athlete. I don’t care if they’re high school, transfer, or didn’t touch a football until last week. I’m all in for anyone who makes this team better. If they make next year’s team better, I don’t care if they transfer at the end of next season. That’s just going to be part of life in today’s college football. You just have to have a pipeline ready to go so you have the next guy ready.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Yea Rodger’s would be an example! What bunch of crap! NIL qb’s and d lineman! GMG 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

We ought to be able to get people from bigger $ programs who are not getting playing time or focus but who could excel against the teams we typically play. I saw Toledo beating the devil out of Buffalo tonight with a big running back they got from Maryland.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493boel6cvaqgv4lzeycuhk

This has been a pervasive thought here as long as I can remember.
It RARELY works.   
Marcus Trice, and now JaMori Maclin, are the only two players I can recall over the past 2 decades that we pulled from a P5 school and played at an all-conference level with UNT.  There is a laundry list of others, who either didn't help at all, or simply work in as 'also-contributing'.
What USUALLY works, is getting guys like Chandler Rogers & Riley Mayfield, who has proven to be very, very good at their previous level, and is ready to step up.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493boel6cvaqgv4lzeycuhk

This has been a pervasive thought here as long as I can remember.
It RARELY works.   
Marcus Trice, and now JaMori Maclin, are the only two players I can recall over the past 2 decades that we pulled from a P5 school and played at an all-conference level with UNT.  There is a laundry list of others, who either didn't help at all, or simply work in as 'also-contributing'.
What USUALLY works, is getting guys like Chandler Rogers & Riley Mayfield, who has proven to be very, very good at their previous level, and is ready to step up.

Also Mazin Richards (Eastern NM), Jordan Smart (UTPB), Kaylon Horton (Tarleton) Ridge Texada (McNeese)

My all-time favorite who transferred from a small school was Jorden Case (78-79 starter) who transferred from Sul Ross U.

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2023 at 8:54 PM, UNTLifer said:

It’s who he has become. If I were as miserable as he seems, I think I would move along. 

Not miserable at all. I’m just not going to pretend anymore that we are something we are not. If you want to that’s your prerogative.  

I’ve heard all the rhetoric and witnessed the results for decades.

Actions speak louder than words.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Not miserable at all. I’m just not going to pretend anymore that we are something we are not. If you want to that’s your prerogative.  

I’ve heard all the rhetoric and witnessed the results for decades.

Actions speak louder than words.  

Another champion of truth.  Another individual who stopped pretending.  Sports world needs more of you sir.

• Puking Eagle 1