ROLL CALL - TULANE - 10/21

bstnsportsfan3

Dear MeanGreen Fans,

I see that many of you plan to attend the game in New Orleans and follow-up with a bit of celebration.   Fans from other schools have been so kind to Tulanians for the last several years that I have prepared the following list of things to do to help you enjoy your stay:  

First off, don't feel that you have to stay in one of the expensive downtown hotels.  There are a number of cozy inns on Airline Dr. that have amenities lacking in the larger establishments. When you're ready to explore the French Quarter, don't bother with Lyft or Uber. Get the real New Orleans experience by hailing a cabbie.  Don't be tricked by having him take a lengthy route. Tell him you may be from out-of-town but you know your way around New Orleans (pronounced New Or-leens).  Impress him with your local knowledge and tell him to take the tunnel to save time.

Once you arrive, tourists are often surprised to discover the freedom one enjoys to walk about the French Quarter with an open drink.  It's an awful lot of fun and really helps you enjoy your New Orleans experience.  Make one of your first stops to purchase a couple of "Hand Grenades" on Bourbon St. They are dainty little things so try and chug the first and then purchase another for take out.  

In the quarter, a number of locals gamble on guessing where tourists purchased their footwear.  They're really not very good at it, and since you're from out of town anyway, the chances are slim they will have any idea where you bought yours.  Pick up an easy fifty dollar bill by going along with the fun. Don't be frustrated if no one offers you the bet.  Walk up to any local and tell him you'll bet fifty that he can't tell you where you got your shoes.

Locals in the French Quarter are always very impressed and eager to help wealthy out-of-towners... particularly after midnight.  Be sure and carry a large roll of bills and don't hesitate to peel off one or two as a tip if you need to ask directions back to your hotel.

Nothing is more romantic than taking a moonlight dip in the Mississippi.  One of the cozier spots is the Moonwalk near Jackson Square.  

Show the locals how well you can twerk. This is a great way to make new friends and you'll be amazed how easy it is to learn after a couple of those Hand Grenades.

Take time to learn New Orleans history.  You are probably aware that early New Orleanians buried their dead in vaults above ground. Only a few blocks from the French Quarter is New Orleans #1, probably our most storied cemetery and the burial spot of Paul Morphy and Marie LeVeau. Put a little adventure into your French Quarter experience and take a midnight stroll through #1.  You may be lucky to encounter locals who offer to show you the sights. Just pull out that wad of cash, and peel off a twenty and tell him you're in no hurry to get back to the hotel.

Enjoy the game and I know you'll love your New Orleans weekend.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 hours ago, The REAL Green Lantern said:

Dear MeanGreen Fans,

I see that many of you plan to attend the game in New Orleans and follow-up with a bit of celebration.   Fans from other schools have been so kind to Tulanians for the last several years that I have prepared the following list of things to do to help you enjoy your stay:  

First off, don't feel that you have to stay in one of the expensive downtown hotels.  There are a number of cozy inns on Airline Dr. that have amenities lacking in the larger establishments. When you're ready to explore the French Quarter, don't bother with Lyft or Uber. Get the real New Orleans experience by hailing a cabbie.  Don't be tricked by having him take a lengthy route. Tell him you may be from out-of-town but you know your way around New Orleans (pronounced New Or-leens).  Impress him with your local knowledge and tell him to take the tunnel to save time.

Once you arrive, tourists are often surprised to discover the freedom one enjoys to walk about the French Quarter with an open drink.  It's an awful lot of fun and really helps you enjoy your New Orleans experience.  Make one of your first stops to purchase a couple of "Hand Grenades" on Bourbon St. They are dainty little things so try and chug the first and then purchase another for take out.  

In the quarter, a number of locals gamble on guessing where tourists purchased their footwear.  They're really not very good at it, and since you're from out of town anyway, the chances are slim they will have any idea where you bought yours.  Pick up an easy fifty dollar bill by going along with the fun. Don't be frustrated if no one offers you the bet.  Walk up to any local and tell him you'll bet fifty that he can't tell you where you got your shoes.

Locals in the French Quarter are always very impressed and eager to help wealthy out-of-towners... particularly after midnight.  Be sure and carry a large roll of bills and don't hesitate to peel off one or two as a tip if you need to ask directions back to your hotel.

Nothing is more romantic than taking a moonlight dip in the Mississippi.  One of the cozier spots is the Moonwalk near Jackson Square.  

Show the locals how well you can twerk. This is a great way to make new friends and you'll be amazed how easy it is to learn after a couple of those Hand Grenades.

Take time to learn New Orleans history.  You are probably aware that early New Orleanians buried their dead in vaults above ground. Only a few blocks from the French Quarter is New Orleans #1, probably our most storied cemetery and the burial spot of Paul Morphy and Marie LeVeau. Put a little adventure into your French Quarter experience and take a midnight stroll through #1.  You may be lucky to encounter locals who offer to show you the sights. Just pull out that wad of cash, and peel off a twenty and tell him you're in no hurry to get back to the hotel.

Thanks.  We've been there many times for the NOLA Bowl.  Was back down there a couple of years ago post Katrina.  Bourbon Street has turned into a scammers heaven and is not near as fun as it used to be.  They even attempted to scam me out of some cash at a crap bar called "The Swamp".  Not sure if it is still there, but don't go.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The REAL Green Lantern said:

Dear MeanGreen Fans,

Thank you in advance for your hospitality. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this is an excellent guide on how to end up back at your hotel room short of any cash and other valuables you left with. That said, seeing as how you're only looking out for visitors, I'm sure this is all safe to follow. Considering how friendly the locals appear to be, particularly after midnight, would you mind suggesting how much cash to carry? I wouldn't want to misrepresent where I come from by not having enough on me. Thanks!

• Haha 5

On 10/16/2023 at 5:40 PM, The REAL Green Lantern said:

Impress him with your local knowledge and tell him to take the tunnel to save time.

A quick swing through the Belle Chasse tunnel and the West Bank on the way to the game.  I'm shocked you didn't recommend people enjoy the eclectic neighborhoods of beautiful New Orleans East!

The years I lived in the New Orleans metro were some of the most interesting of my life.  I wouldn't wish them or the insurance bill I paid on my shitty below-sea-level house on anyone.  It's a great place to visit, and a 3rd world country to live in. Don't drink the water. It may be a bit salty lately.

• Upvote 1