What I'm Looking For in the Navy Game

MeanGreenGlory

There's a lot of doom and gloom around here right now, but I just glanced at the scores of the first four games and noticed a positive trend line worth noting:

Points Scored:

• Game 1: 21
  • Game 2: 39
  • Game 3: 40
  • Game 4: 45

Points Allowed:

• Game 1: 58
  • Game 2: 46
  • Game 3: 37
  • Game 4: 31

Each game, the offense has scored more points and the defense has allowed fewer points. You can argue that the last game against an FCS opponent should have been a bigger spread, and there's truth to that, but overall it looks like the players are getting more comfortable with the new schemes.

Regarding Navy, I'm less concerned about our offense and more concerned about our run defense. If we can score 35+ and keep them to 28 or under, I think it'll be an indicator that we'll be competitive in the rest of conference play.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

There's a lot of doom and gloom around here right now, but I just glanced at the scores of the first four games and noticed a positive trend line worth noting:

Points Scored:

Points Allowed:

Each game, the offense has scored more points and the defense has allowed fewer points. You can argue that the last game against an FCS opponent should have been a bigger spread, and there's truth to that, but overall it looks like the players are getting more comfortable with the new schemes.

Regarding Navy, I'm less concerned about our offense and more concerned about our run defense. If we can score 35+ and keep them to 28 or under, I think it'll be an indicator that we'll be competitive in the rest of conference play.

The quality of opponents declined with each of those games too.  If Navy is worse than ACU, then the pattern should continue. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

And if Chandler Rogers had been our quarterback, we would have too. 

Debatable. So even after spotting Rogers three points , we still lost the game from that second half with Rogers under center. Rogers is the guy at QB but let’s not forget we had the lead when he took over at FIU and then we lost it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, MeanGreenGlory said:

Points Scored:

Points Allowed:

that may be what you are looking for, but all you are going to find is...

Seamen... Seamen EVERYWHERE!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

It blows my mind we don't have a Wishbone formation. So many options on every single play. 

Probably for the same reason(s) coaches don't want to play against it, and want extra time to prepare: you have to execute it at an extremely high/polished level, or you fail miserably.

• Eye Roll 1

50 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Probably for the same reason(s) coaches don't want to play against it, and want extra time to prepare: you have to execute it at an extremely high/polished level, or you fail miserably.

Then you should implement it during the off season, so you can learn it.  

11 hours ago, Travis said:

Debatable. So even after spotting Rogers three points , we still lost the game from that second half with Rogers under center. Rogers is the guy at QB but let’s not forget we had the lead when he took over at FIU and then we lost it. 

Really? And what would we have held if Earle hadn’t thrown two INTs and completed 50 percent of passes?? Rogers was 11/15 with 2 TDs. The defense blew that game - we can all agree on that - but can we at consider that the game might have been out of reach without the first half turnovers and ineptitude??

On 10/6/2023 at 3:06 PM, 97and03 said:

Really? And what would we have held if Earle hadn’t thrown two INTs and completed 50 percent of passes?? Rogers was 11/15 with 2 TDs. The defense blew that game - we can all agree on that - but can we at consider that the game might have been out of reach without the first half turnovers and ineptitude??

Doesn’t matter. And also kinda my point. It is a large assumption that Rogers would have won the game at FIU. Earl still left the game with a lead and Rogers was spotted three points and we lost the game. To assume that somehow he would have won it largely ignores that simple fact. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2