New Helmet Logo

UNTfan915

18 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

When I saw this, the first person that popped into my mind was Red, from That 70's Show

996bd14c24676b87f19ffb90baa0ad91.gif

Good ol' Kurtwood Smith. There was never any lack of dumbass behavior going on in the 70's show, so he got to say that a lot.  I would love to have a cardboard fan on a stick that had "Red's" face on it.  And boldly printed along the bottom would be DUMBASS!  I would carry it in my car and hold it up when the occasion called for it.......which unfortunately would be a lot.

Maybe I could get some fans like that printed with the original Scrappy on it (mainly featuring his face) and the same message across the bottom. Instead of booing bad/poor play the fans could just hold up their Scrappy Fans. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

I was in Talons in the early 90s.  We were told the student body decided in the late 70s to change the name because it was too "warlike."  The costume wasn't great in the 80s and 90s, but there was NO support or budget from the athletic department during that era.

I was in that costume more than once, it was hot and smelly.  I imagine that the new one gets cleaned more often, now that there's money  🙂

I think it was the early 80s (some time between 81 and 85).  I recall the name change and the story about Scrappy being too aggressive/warlike.  Eppy won a student vote or something, but I don't ever remember getting the opportunity to vote on it.  Just remember how silly it was when the new name was introduced and the reason for it.

• Pissed 1

8 hours ago, keith said:

I think it was the early 80s (some time between 81 and 85).  I recall the name change and the story about Scrappy being too aggressive/warlike.  Eppy won a student vote or something, but I don't ever remember getting the opportunity to vote on it.  Just remember how silly it was when the new name was introduced and the reason for it.

As a student for most of the 80s, it was (is) really confusing when I returned to games after graduating that they were calling "Eppy" by a new name "Scrappy".