SMU raises 100 million in a week?

4 hours ago, rcade said:

SMU bought itself a place in a P5 that will be a P3 in 10 years. Or maybe even a P2.

I really think that is only a 50/50 proposition at best for SMU, especially if there is a P2.   Programs like Vanderbilt, Northwestern and other rich private school already in the P5 but irrelevant when it comes to TV viewership in those conferences aren’t safe.  The media partners are going to limit purchasing dead weight inventory games in their next deals.  They aren’t stupid and with streaming they have the most accurate data they have ever had on viewership.  So if/when those SMU games vs Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, Boston College, Cal and Syracuse come in with low numbers the bid to add them to a P3 conference will be low if they are included at all.  If they aren’t winning and getting viewership that averages out to midrange in ACC viewership ratings it doesn’t make a lot of sense to a distributor to add them.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Ok.  I keep hearing we have roughly 200K alumni in the DFW area alone. At $500 a pop, we raise $100M. 

no problem….get it done.  $500 should not be an issue. 

Glad you wrote that.  The numbers are here, leadership lacks the vision.  Raising $100M is probably too lofty.  But it is clear that to me that the leadership here doesn’t think they can approach half of that figure.  If they did I think in this round of realignment you would have to beat down Coach Sanders’ door after losing to Miami Ohio at the end of 2021 or during the regular season 2022.  Of all the G5 teams he could have come to, his local coaching and playing ties here would have made it the best fit.  Colorado’s assistant coaches make under 5 million collectively and Sanders makes under 6 million.  You raise just an additional 25 million here, you have more than paid for coaches salaries and a very healthy NIL program.  The excitement that Sanders being the lead candidate here (between December 2021 to when he was announced as CU next head coach) generate at least 25 million pledged donations.  This place in a G5 juggernaut if Sanders just brings 1/2 the talent he took to CU we lose 2 regular season games max.

Then there are several other high profile coaches you could have pursue and brought on a top flight assistant coach staff with for less than the CU Sanders package without needing to raise 25 million.   Just a short list would include: Major Applewhite and Doug Belk.  

42 minutes ago, Green Light said:

I’ll be glad when they are gone. We should not schedule them in any sports. Forget smu. 

Not so fast, I would welcome them coming to Denton to get their ass kick every 3 years or so and never playing them there.  They still won’t have Big 12 teams coming to their place to play them like they really want.   The will be lucky to get TCU regularly.

On 9/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, rcade said:

If SMU can afford $100 million to forego all ACC revenue until 2034, Florida State and Clemson can afford the $120 million it would take to buy themselves out of the ACC.

SMU bought itself a place in a P5 that will be a P3 in 10 years. Or maybe even a P2.

I totally understand why SMU would do this, but it's one hell of a risky bet. So far, what SMU has done is to buy an upgrade to first class on the Titanic, but after all the lifeboats have already left. There's still two stages left in this realignment until it settles down - first a final few pickups out of the ACC, and then either a P2 with one Fox and one ESPN, or a 32-team premiership with the Big 10 and SEC dropping some deadweight. 

What SMU is betting on is that the ACC without its major teams will still be a step above the other conferences, but I think that's a risky bet, and their value is suspect. After the ACC's raided, there will be a further, titanic shakeout into regionals or into the pro-rel system the Mountain Pacific is considering. 

In either case, if I'm a conference I have an easy ask for SMU - why not pay us $400 million to take you? SMU's set a precedent that they're willing to throw money, and while that can get you into the ACC for $200 million, it also means that with the new endzone facility, $350 million that could have been spent elsewhere on campus or on athletics is off the board, and that you could end up being in back in the American for $400 million a few years later. 

Good luck to the Ponies, but I think it's telling that other teams with private money haven't even suggested doing this (hi Temple or BYU pre-XII). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Legend500 said:

I totally understand why SMU would do this, but it's one hell of a risky bet. So far, what SMU has done is to buy an upgrade to first class on the Titanic, but after all the lifeboats have already left. There's still two stages left in this realignment until it settles down - first a final few pickups out of the ACC, and then either a P2 with one Fox and one ESPN, or a 32-team premiership with the Big 10 and SEC dropping some deadweight. 

What SMU is betting on is that the ACC without its major teams will still be a step above the other conferences, but I think that's a risky bet, and their value is suspect. After the ACC's raided, there will be a further, titanic shakeout into regionals or into the pro-rel system the Mountain Pacific is considering. 

In either case, if I'm a conference I have an easy ask for SMU - why not pay us $400 million to take you? SMU's set a precedent that they're willing to throw money, and while that can get you into the ACC for $200 million, it also means that with the new endzone facility, $350 million that could have been spent elsewhere on campus or on athletics is off the board, and that you could end up being in back in the American for $400 million a few years later. 

Good luck to the Ponies, but I think it's telling that other teams with private money haven't even suggested doing this (hi Temple or BYU pre-XII). 

Wonder if Liberty tries this down the road. 

I don't think BYU would offer money this brazenly as it comes out of LDS's coffers....

• Upvote 1