Eric deserves the game ball

Jonnyeagle

Morris deserves credit for seeing in the FIU game that the real difference between Rogers and Earl was that Rogers is a "game day" QB and Earl was a great practice QB...and then correcting his decision about the starter. 

I made my assessment of Earl based on his spring practice performance in a couple of scrimmages. Rogers was good in the spring, but still not as good as either Earl or Ruder. "Pure-QB-skills-and-athleticism-wise",  Ruder is the best of the three.......but if only Morris could have figured out how to flip his "on" switch.  Oh well. 

Roger's "on switch" apparently is getting in the game and competing.

Perhaps Mr. Rogers has the same philosophy as the late Joe Kapp who used to say when describing his job as QB...."I just go out there and pass and kick ass". 

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Morris deserves credit for seeing in the FIU game that the real difference between Rogers and Earl was that Rogers is a "game day" QB and Earl was a great practice QB...and then correcting his decision about the starter. 

I made my assessment of Earl based on his spring practice performance in a couple of scrimmages. Rogers was good in the spring, but still not as good as either Earl or Ruder. "Pure-QB-skills-and-athleticism-wise",  Ruder is the best of the three.......but if only Morris could have figured out how to flip his "on" switch.  Oh well. 

Roger's "on switch" apparently is getting in the game and competing.

Perhaps Mr. Rogers has the same philosophy as the late Joe Kapp who used to say when describing his job as QB...."I just go out there and pass and kick ass". 

A smart coach knows that what you do in practice is entirely different than what you do when the “bright lights” are on.  

If only there had been game tape of both quarterbacks in actual games prior to this season…hmmm 🤔🤔

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

A smart coach knows that what you do in practice is entirely different than what you do when the “bright lights” are on.  

If only there had been game tape of both quarterbacks in actual games prior to this season…hmmm 🤔🤔

Game film like this when Earle was with ACU or are you speaking to Littrell’s limited use of Earle in the RedZone?

I agree that Rogers is the best fit, but we shouldn’t oversimplify the decision.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

11 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

He called a great game offensively.  Defense still stinks to high heaven but him sitting Earles butt on the bench took some gutz.

long live Eric Morris!!.  .  

Good game call but great?….  Wasn’t he the same guy who benched him?  Did he not call a totally unnecessary trick play on offense trying to protect a 3 score lead in the 4th quarter.  “Great” is flirting with perfection and  his leadership/decision was far from that.  I think things are definitely looking up for the offense and Morris deserves a ton of support and credit for that.  But you need to slow down throwing out the word “great”. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Game film like this when Earle was with ACU or are you speaking to Littrell’s limited use of Earle in the RedZone?

I agree that Rogers is the best fit, but we shouldn’t oversimplify the decision.

Oversimplify?  Okay let’s look at numbers.  Rogers before this season had 319 pass attempts against FBS opponents completing 67% passes with a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio.  Stone Earle had well under 200 pass attempts with the vast majority being against FCS, completing a lower percentage and only topping 200 yards in a game twice.  It was very clear that Rogers experience makes him better equipped to handle the speed of FBS defenses.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Oversimplify?  Okay let’s look at numbers.  Rogers before this season had 319 pass attempts against FBS opponents completing 67% passes with a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio.  Stone Earle had well under 200 pass attempts with the vast majority being against FCS, completing a lower percentage and only topping 200 yards in a game twice.  It was very clear that Rogers experience makes him better equipped to handle the speed of FBS defenses.  

My point was that more goes into who the starting quarterback should be for a new season than just looking at game film.  

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

My son’s high school coach said there’s no such thing as a “gamer.”Could explain why he’s no longer a head coach🤣🤣

On another note, QB issues are not unique to UNT.  Alabama and Ohio St., to name two schools, have played multiple QB’s so far this season and I think both of those schools have decent coaches who also got to judge their QB’s in the spring and in fall camp. 

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

Some have asked about Chandler Rogers deep throw ability?   Probably not as much since I posted (weeks ago) a YouTube video of his sophomore year at ULM vs the Texas Longhorns when he tossed a deep one on the money.

••• Here are some of our QB’s Sophomore numbers in 2022.

https://ulmwarhawks.com/sports/football/roster/chandler-rogers/5421

• Upvote 1

Some have asked about Chandler Rogers deep throw ability?   Probably not as much since I posted (weeks ago) a YouTube video of his sophomore year at ULM vs the Texas Longhorns when he tossed a deep one on the money.

••• Here are some of our QB’s Sophomore numbers in 2022.

https://ulmwarhawks.com/sports/football/roster/chandler-rogers/5421

Note:  ULM made $1.9 million to play UT-Austin in 2022. 

GMG!

I am happy coach got his 1st win.  The team really needed a positive outcome.  Starting 0-3 would have been disastrous. I hope they were able to enjoy their victory today.  

However, starting tomorrow I hope they are ready to figure out how they are going to fix the defense or they won't have many more wins to celebrate I'm afraid.  They should now have some tape to see the difference between the 3 and 4 man looks they were giving.  To the naked eye it seemed like the 4 man fronts were much more effective, but the tape will tell the true story.  The D pretty much fell apart in the 4th quarter and gave up about 50% of the total yards.  Definitely concerning that when they had a chance to put away the game the defense rolled over.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Are they redshirting Keith Smith? I think he could provide more pressure than what I saw Saturday

Possibly, no sign of him on participation report.  However, even redshirts can participate in up to 4 games so may be planning to get him some looks later in the year but if he has the ability to contribute, not sure now is the time to be holding anything back on D.