GMG Live: Post Game Reaction

TheReal_jayD

10 hours ago, UNT Family Man said:

The defense is crap— and major adjustments need to be made or the DC needs to go. If he is to survive there must be major change in personnel from juco and the portal.

Its not the DC fault, he knows the 3-3-5.  He's coached a position group for this defense, he doesn't have the experience to run any other.  The 3-3-5 will work but you must have the right personnel and safeties and linebackers that can tackle in the open field.  We have neither. And although we have excellent facilities good juco and portal entrants have better opportunities. 

1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

The 3-3-5 will work but you must have the right personnel and safeties and linebackers that can tackle in the open field.

…and a big time NT.

all of these are massive IFS. I wish more people would recognize how small this window of opportunity is (especially for G5) and simply not take the risk. It is a brutal, awful system if you don’t have those pieces.

1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

Its not the DC fault, he knows the 3-3-5.  He's coached a position group for this defense, he doesn't have the experience to run any other.  The 3-3-5 will work but you must have the right personnel and safeties and linebackers that can tackle in the open field.  We have neither. And although we have excellent facilities good juco and portal entrants have better opportunities. 

Thank you for emphasizing my point. 
1. not having enough experience. 

2. not being able to get the type of players needed. 

If you don’t have the experience to do something else or run what you know without a specific type of player, then maybe, just maybe, you weren’t the one for the job. I don’t have a problem with a position coach being given an opportunity to move up but experience required to adjust should be expected. Maybe he will get the type of player needed  but rolling the dice on a one trick pony hasn’t worked so far.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

Thank you for emphasizing my point. 
1. not having enough experience. 

2. not being able to get the type of players needed. 

If you don’t have the experience to do something else or run what you know without a specific type of player, then maybe, just maybe, you weren’t the one for the job. I don’t have a problem with a position coach being given an opportunity to move up but experience required to adjust should be expected. Maybe he will get the type of player needed  but rolling the dice on a one trick pony hasn’t worked so far.

Agreed  I understand giving FBS position coaches the opportunity to advance, but lets earn some stripes as a DC at the FCS level maybe make a few friends along the way (get an up on the portal entries) But we give Caponi the bus keys and he loads it with anyone willing to leave Ames for Denton as defensive staffers  All experienced with a defensive scheme we again don't have the personnel for  Then hire a UH assistant that's never ran a room to coach our front  So even if we axed or demoted our DC the remaining crew will be no different  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

Agreed  I understand giving FBS position coaches the opportunity to advance, but lets earn some stripes as a DC at the FCS level maybe make a few friends along the way (get an up on the portal entries) But we give Caponi the bus keys and he loads it with anyone willing to leave Ames for Denton as defensive staffers  All experienced with a defensive scheme we again don't have the personnel for  Then hire a UH assistant that's never ran a room to coach our front  So even if we axed or demoted our DC the remaining crew will be no different  

Agreed- but if it continues the HC has to step in and bring in a consultant— status quo will be difficult to overcome. If the personnel shift isn’t signed in the December period then he needs to be let go. 

16 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

Agreed- but if it continues the HC has to step in and bring in a consultant— status quo will be difficult to overcome. If the personnel shift isn’t signed in the December period then he needs to be let go. 

What's crazy about your suggestion is Gary Patterson left UT to return to Fort Worth to spend more time with family. My understanding is he's currently unemployed for that reason. What better time to need an experienced coach to come in and be a special assistant of some sort and that dude is sitting a short drive down 35.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1