Ranking the G5 Conferences

Cerebus

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Based on ESPN's FPI, The American is the top rated G5 conference.

Conf. Avg. Med. Top Lowest
1 American -4.4 -4.3 4.7 -10.9
2 Sun Belt -6.3 -5.7 -0.9 -15.2
3 MWC -7.5 -8.3 1.7 -14.6
4 MAC -9.8 -9.5 -3.8 -16.0
5 CUSA -12.1 -13.8 -5.3 -16.5

The top is better in the American but surprisingly the bottom five in the AAC are worse than the Belt. Not sure how many head to heads there are but wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up close to even on the field depending on the matchups. We better win both of ours. 

51 minutes ago, meanrob said:

The top is better in the American but surprisingly the bottom five in the AAC are worse than the Belt. Not sure how many head to heads there are but wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up close to even on the field depending on the matchups. We better win both of ours. 

Trying to understand how you measured the "bottom 5". Their "best" bottom 5 is higher rated, but
They have three -10 or lower, we have one
Our average is 9.46, and theirs 10.24

image.png.874500be6b0d079f6c9855c651e007c7.pngimage.png.9f810d596e2a834aebcb895d1d3b3ad3.png

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Some of y'all need to reconsider how you view the Belt.

Pretty amazing to think about their ascent the last 10 years.

Not that they (CUSA) will, but they (Sun Belt) are an excellent example of how a league can improve. Many people thought it would fade away when we all left the Sun Belt. Step one for CUSA; say goodbye to Judy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Trying to understand how you measured the "bottom 5". Their "best" bottom 5 is higher rated, but
They have three -10 or lower, we have one
Our average is 9.46, and theirs 10.24

image.png.874500be6b0d079f6c9855c651e007c7.pngimage.png.9f810d596e2a834aebcb895d1d3b3ad3.png

I went by how many teams each league had ranked in the 100s. All of this is subjective but trying to pinpoint exactly where an individual team should be ranked is REALLY subjective. Plus one team (ULM) shouldn’t matter so much. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Adrian Williams Thank You GIF by Peloton

What I liked about what the belt did after we left was go get the best programs regardless of market. They went and got app state and Georgia southern 2 of the top fcs programs, then coastal Carolina, then jmu. 

Basically the plan we were all asking for back in our Sun belt days.  So instead of focusing on markets and instead focusing on quality of programs, they have passed up most of the G5’s. 

Now it hasn’t converted into dollars yet, but we will see what the future holds.  

I was personally super disappointed when we moved to cusa and ulala didn’t come with us because they have done a hell of a job with their program in multiple areas. 

I also liked the  series we had going with them every year   

Looking back I think it was good to move on from SL.  I am not sure about Morris yet.  CUSA is one of the weakest conference in the country (not just this year) and we could not win a championship. Best of luck to SL at OU.   This year will be interesting for sure.  I am worried about the defense again, with a three man front you have strong lb play.  Seems to be a big hole for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Looking back I think it was good to move on from SL.  I am not sure about Morris yet.  CUSA is one of the weakest conference in the country (not just this year) and we could not win a championship. Best of luck to SL at OU.   This year will be interesting for sure.  I am worried about the defense again, with a three man front you have strong lb play.  Seems to be a big hole for us.

Seems like UTSA had the same quarterback about half the time we were in CUSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1