Is no news good news?

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Washington State just formed an Athletics Advisory Committee....

...."as we explore the opportunities presented by potential new conference affiliations"......

This is important wording.  Not "potential new conference members", but "affiliations", as in possibly merging with another conference (AAC?).

• Upvote 2

This is a big deal for all concerned, any agreement has to be written with the appropriate media partners and then approved by all the schools administrations. It is a time consuming process with lots of details and numerous participants, some of them rather persnickety. If everybody is reasonable I believe it will happen.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cooke County Kid said:

If everybody is reasonable I believe it will happen.

With SMU in the mix, the chance for "everybody" is slim. SMU is desperate(they couldn't even pay the ACC to take them). What I keep finding hilarious is the SMU fans talking about how they bring something to a conference and how much they have to offer. At the same time, it would not surprise me to see SMU pick up the buyout fees for three other teams to go with them and join the PAC. It seems that belonging to a conference that is called a Power 5 conference means a lot to them, enough that they've made a laughing stock of themselves around college football by offering to go to the conference with no payouts.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's a wild thought for OSU, WSU, and Cal - you should band together and join the AAC. You know, good and well, if Stanford gets an opportunity, they would leave you behind in a second. So the three of you should join together and decide, and if Stanford wants to follow you, okay? If not, so be it. Don't let Stanford dictate your path. 

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I imagine the PAC 4 is trying everything behind the scenes to get four teams to join them.

Don't trust SMU not to be trying to gather three others and bolt.

Oh you know those douchebags are trying to gather three teams and offering to pay their exit fees and give them their media money 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The complicating factor in all of this is media. As I’ve said before, Fox got what they want and they’re not coming to the table. CBS by all accounts has no interest. ESPN is not going to enter into a new contract that devalues one of its properties (AAC). 

That really just leaves Apple and the question of whether or not they’d be interested in a rebuilt Pac. Even if you have four schools who will jump, if Apple isn’t interested, a rebuilt Pac is out of the question. 

• Upvote 1

I am trying not to get too excited. But, the pros and cons I have heard from most "experts" would seem to indicate that the AAC is in the best position to add or somehow merge with the Pac 4.  That ESPN contact that Aresco already has in place could be huge, especially if it gets adjusted to pay the PAC 4 teams more initially (15mil/year).

Pac expansion - No good media deal in place to expand and draw in other schools.
Big 10 - Stanford would love this. But, this option seems to be dead right now.
ACC expansion - Talk seems dead.  But, could flare up again.
MWC expansion - Media contract is not as good as AAC to add PAC 4. Stanford not interested.
PAC adding from MWC/AAC - Exit fees too much to move to a PAC with no good media deal in place.
AAC/PAC merger - Seems like the best option by default.  18 teams, 9 in west zone. Private schools in west to keep Stanford happy. Stable media deal (flexible ?) at least in place.

Stanford seems to be the key player here. SMU could also do something stupid just to get out of the AAC. regardless of whether or not it is the right decision for them long term.

I just hope this gets resolved fairly quickly.  The realignment talk is really taking away from the coming football season for me. This could be a HUGE boost for UNT if the PAC-4 joins the AAC. Or, it could send us back to a CUSA similar situation.

I think we will be good as long as Aresco stays with the AAC (heard some possible retirement talk ?).

Just my thoughts based on what I have heard/read online.  No facts to back it up.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 5

Hopefully no news is good news and the principals are just working out the details.  While this is a distraction to the upcoming season, it's just one season.  What happens with this realignment situation will set the course for UNT athletics for the foreseeable future (at least the next decade and probably much longer). 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, keith said:

Hopefully no news is good news and the principals are just working out the details.  While this is a distraction to the upcoming season, it's just one season.  What happens with this realignment situation will set the course for UNT athletics for the foreseeable future (at least the next decade and probably much longer). 

I am afraid, given tv contracts and all, we are more talking like 5-6 years of calm. maybe less if teams start finding ways to get out of the ACC early (doubt anyone can, but it keeps getting brought up)

Edited by outoftown