North Texas logo is gone?

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I would say the initials UNT are known Regionally but not Nationally.  I suspect Marketing or whoever made this decision promoting UNT is trying to increase the National recognition of it, like UCF.  My question is why?   Is UNT really better than North Texas on a National level?    

I think you’re right. If I had to guess, the UNT System is forcing this on athletics. They’re trying to grow the UNT system into a monster and they know athletics is the best way to promote the university. So instead of allowing athletics to keep the “North Texas” branding they are forcing it to adopt the UNT name. I’m sure some marketing consultant convinced UNT admins people are too stupid to make the simple connection between North Texas and UNT. 

Never mind schools like Oklahoma (OU), North Carolina (UNC), Texas State (TSU), Boise St (BSU), and San Jose St (SJSU) make it work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Ok this thread has killed me. Someone DM me if there are new commitments or something major. See you in fall camp, I can’t take this place anymore during the offseason. 

How about updates on people?  Would you like a DM for that?  I mean, some of those seem like something you wouldn’t want to miss.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't fully understand this thought.  Think about the next time you see an acronym on TV that you are unfamiliar with.  it takes 10 seconds for the curious mind to pull up the phone and google it.  This generation of sports fans, and audiences across any industry, do not need to guess about things anymore.  If they are wondering about something, they Google.

I think the acronym is great, I think the script North Texas is great, but I don't feel like we have some obligation to educate the uninformed.  But maybe there is some benefit I'm not thinking of.

EDIT: Maybe I'd feel different if there were a ton of obvious possibilities for UNT to stand for, but there are not.

16 hours ago, NT80 said:

You missed his great RV sarcasm.  It took RV 10 years to finally agree to just a SOW logo on our helmets instead of school name.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Haha 2

I firmly hate the UNT branding. When you leave the Metroplex, there's a significant drop in the odds someone knows what you're referencing. As someone who now lives out of state, it's easier to explain that I went to North Texas instead of answering the follow-up question of "where's UNT?" 

Leave it to Central Florida and some of these other schools who are OCD about going by an acronym because they feel they've earned the right to be a brand. It's one of the dumbest things in college athletics. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

It is just a logo change.  We can chant North - Texas or whatever we want.  The announcers will continue to call us North Texas, we will refer to our teams as North Texas or Mean Green, etc... You will just no longer see North Texas on a helmet.  You guys are making mountains out of mole hills.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenATO said:

I firmly hate the UNT branding. When you leave the Metroplex, there's a significant drop in the odds someone knows what you're referencing. As someone who now lives out of state, it's easier to explain that I went to North Texas instead of answering the follow-up question of "where's UNT?"

Seems to me this is exactly the reason to market as UNT.  If people see us playing and the graphic on TV says “UNT” then people will begin to equate UNT with North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Are you sure about that? Because over the past few years there's been a quiet, yet obvious shift from "North Texas" to "UNT". And the past couple months I've noticed promo graphics reference UNT Football or UNT Athletics. Take a quick browse through MeanGreenSports.com and you'll notice there's hardly any mention of "North Texas." 

Of course, I don't think they'll stop the "North Texas" chant or block it from being on apparel, but this appears to be more than just a logo change. 

image.png.8c6637518a633125fda8883e1870c456.png

I agree.  It is a whole trashing of "North Texas" as a University and Athletics reference.  I believe it's coming from whatever that office of Branding or wordmarks is.

Here is the backdrop in 2016 with North Texas and Mean Green, vs 2021 with UNT as the wordmarks...

North Texas Athletics: Director of Athletics Wren Baker Introductory Press  Conference - YouTube

UNT athletic director secures contract extension into 2029 | Mean Green |  dentonrc.com

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I agree.  It is a whole trashing of "North Texas" as a University and Athletics reference.  I believe it's coming from whatever that office of Branding or wordmarks is.

Here is the backdrop in 2016 with North Texas and Mean Green, vs 2021 with UNT as the wordmarks...

North Texas Athletics: Director of Athletics Wren Baker Introductory Press  Conference - YouTube

UNT athletic director secures contract extension into 2029 | Mean Green |  dentonrc.com

What's funny is during our NIT run Ryan Peck confirmed the AD does not want the UNT Diving Eagle logo used on TV broadcasts, score bugs, ESPN App, etc. It should always just be the Diving Eagle. I totally agree with that. However, if that's the case, why do we use the UNT logo all the time??? That's going to make people think its okay to use as our primary logo. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/10/2023 at 3:59 PM, NT80 said:

Terrible idea.  WE ARE "NORTH TEXAS"!   Have been for over 100 years!   

I didn't graduate from UNT, and never use it to say where I went to college. 

Southern Cal, Southern Miss, East Carolina, South Florida, etc all have no issues with direction in their name.

Technically, you didn't graduate from North Texas either.  We've been The University of North Texas (UNT) for over thirty years.  That's a lot of graduates of UNT.  Those of us that graduated from North Texas State University (NTSU), me included, or some other former derivative are a smaller and smaller proportion of former students.  We are literally a dying breed.  

The diving eagle connected to UNT is a horrible logo and it deserves to die.  I think it's the right move to emphasize UNT as it unambiguously refers to The University of North Texas.  People can still say they went to North Texas and use in the fight song or cheers.  It's not that big of a deal.  We just need to stick with it and defend its use religiously everywhere.  Now if we can just settle on a color of green.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I agree with Jared the wordmark "UNT with SOW" works better on the ticker because the font is larger.  The small font of "North Texas with SOW" was too small to read it.  Actually SOW by itself would be best, but I guess they don't think it is recognized yet Nationally maybe?  

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2023 at 2:23 PM, Glory to the Green said:

I read articles all the time that state: “North Texas man accused of…” or

”Former North Texas man…”

I also see local youth sports team called:  North Texas Fury, or North Texas Renegades, etc  

Instead of trying to explain the nuance of the North Texas part, they seem to want to move on from it. I think it’s a solid move to lean into the Mean Green and the diving eagle. 

Must be hell for UT.  

Or for that matter, OU, Arizona, Nevada, South Carolina, etc.  

Go with North Texas, assume most fans have a little sense and can ascertain the usage of Texas by the context of the message.  Do not like and seldom use UNT, much prefer North Texas or NT.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

I agree with Jared the wordmark "UNT with SOW" works better on the ticker because the font is larger.  The small font of "North Texas with SOW" was too small to read it.  Actually SOW by itself would be best, but I guess they don't think it is recognized yet Nationally maybe?  

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. He’s referring to the score bug on TV broadcasts saying “UNT” instead of something like “N.Texas” 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

They're not going to use ONLY logos on a ticker.

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. He’s referring to the score bug on TV broadcasts saying “UNT” instead of something like “N.Texas” 

Maybe I'm confusing what a "score bug" is.  When I see game scores flashed or listed they usually have a small logo next to them, is that what this is referring to?  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1