NBA Draft Update: Mavs Sign UAB's Jordan 'Jelly' Walker to One-Year Contract

NT80

"...according to multiple reports, UAB's Jordan "Jelly" Walker has agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Mavs. The 5-foot-11 guard played in 33 games last season, averaging 22.3 points and 4.2 assists while shooting 37.8 percent from deep. He won the 2021-22 Conference USA Player of the Year award and made the All-CUSA team two times."

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-sign-uab-jordan-jelly-walker-one-year-contract-nba-draft-update

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Coltonw83 said:

Nowell from Kansas state got a 2 way too, maybe Tylor (I know he is elsewhere and “we” don’t care anymore) will get a shot after this last season for him as well.

Perry showed his true character… he won’t touch the NBA…. He is about him. Not the team. Maybe overseas one day….

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 14
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 6/24/2023 at 8:52 AM, BleedingGreen said:

Who do you like and respect?  Give me 3 basketball players. 

From? UNT? George King, Chris Davis, and Jordan Williams are near the top/topping my list. Would have been Jermey  Combs but we all saw what he did… 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

From? UNT? George King, Chris Davis, and Jordan Williams are near the top/topping my list. Would have been Jermey  Combs but we all saw what he did… 

I appreciate your passion for loyalty.  These days are a bit different then the past due to NIL. Chris and Jordan may have made the decision to move on due to NIL Please remember and have sensitivity to the need for players to help their families financially.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

did jelly have eligibility left at UAB?   I hope we are ready for a step up in competition in basketball and football.  The old guard does not seemed impressed with us showing up in the conference.  Hope we can prove them wrong.  I have no idea what to expect from football this season.

• 3 weeks later...

22 off the bench tonight. 7/12 from the field and 5/8 from 3. Also had 3 rebounds and 3 assists to 1 turnover. I believe he had 8 assists and 0 turnovers yesterday which gives him an 11/1 assist to turnover ratio which will definitely turn heads even though the sample size is small. He finished tonight with a +17 and was one of the main reasons the Mavs separated themselves from Atlanta. In my opinion, he's at least played himself onto a G league roster.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

22 off the bench tonight. 7/12 from the field and 5/8 from 3. Also had 3 rebounds and 3 assists to 1 turnover. I believe he had 8 assists and 0 turnovers yesterday which gives him an 11/1 assist to turnover ratio which will definitely turn heads even though the sample size is small. He finished tonight with a +17 and was one of the main reasons the Mavs separated themselves from Atlanta. In my opinion, he's at least played himself onto a G league roster.

He's been fun to watch during summer league. I'm curious if he'll get a two way. Maybe an Exhibit 10. He could be a cheaper THJ 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I believe he was signed to an Exhibit 10 already

I had to look up what an "Exhibit 10" contract was...

Here are a few more notes relating to Exhibit 10 contracts:

• A team can’t carry more than six Exhibit 10 contracts at a time.
  • An Exhibit 10 contract can only be converted to a two-way deal before the regular season begins.
  • An Exhibit 10 contract that gets converted to a two-way deal can later be converted into a standard NBA contract.
  • An Exhibit 10 bonus earned by a player who ends up in the G League or on a two-way contract isn’t counted toward the NBA team’s total salary.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract-2.html

10 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I think MIles got the last 2 way contract, but jelly should already have an E10.  I think both Jelly and Miles at times played better then Hardy.  The Mavs already have enough guards, but they need a center, so I can see Hardy being part of a trade.

They aren't trading Hardy. They specifically turned down deals when teams asked for him this summer. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

They aren't trading Hardy. They specifically turned down deals when teams asked for him this summer. 

I think for the right deal they would, though it may not happen until the trade deadline.  They are going to need a solid center to make a run and hardy is a piece that I think other teams will want.

• Upvote 1