UNT LED LIGHT

@SilverEagle had posted a link to a vendor who was selling LED lights on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1288870450/tcu-horned-frogs-light-up-led-sign?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tcu+light+projector&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1

They do not show one for UNT, but I reached out to them, and Preston responded quickly and said he would make one for UNT.

image.png.ec7987abd6f41ae047b257b406a5a622.png

Received this yesterday

image.png.12f40361c893f18381624484190b4306.png

I asked him if someone wanted a different design could he do it, and he replied - If they want to, just shoot me a message here on Etsy, and I can work with them on the design and get everything sorted out. Thanks for reaching out!  Here  is the link to contact them if you are interested -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/KC3WoodworksCompany?ref=shop-header-name&listing_id=1288870450

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

Could this possibly be copyright infringement?

If anything (I'm guessing, honestly) I think this would fall under licensing issues.

In this day and age, where you can copy/paste/download/create almost anything, it's nearly impossible to police.  Part of me thinks guys like Jared can only shrug their shoulders and celebrate the fact that more fans want to celebrate your brand.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You mean like UNT borrowing the SOW logo from the Aussie Air Force? 

I have heard this over and over and took everyone's word for it, but a quick Google search of their logos and symbols doesn't turn up anything.

https://www.google.com/search?q=royal+australian+air+force+logo&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjSsNf1htr_AhWWHd4AHTKIASwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=australian+air+force+logo&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgCMgUIABCABDIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAFEB5QnRhYyx1g4zloAHAAeACAATyIAfECkgEBN5gBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=v-iVZJLVJZa7-LYPspCG4AI&bih=1129&biw=1920&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS984US984

• Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

image.jpeg.eb271e350686be3ec8b872b2d717bd67.jpeg

SOW on the F18 tail, holding the bomb.  Other pics of other fighters available from around 2010-11 to more recent F-35.

Edited by NT80

On 6/23/2023 at 12:54 PM, NT80 said:

I believe the Flying Worm is NT's only true "original" logo.  Bring it back!

First cartoon Scrappy from the 50's-60's  ORIGINAL

Image result for UNT Mascot Logo

From the Corkey Nelson era......ORIGINAL

image.jpeg.24fcd5ae9b0f9f03878e9323072c4577.jpeg

And not original but one of the few times that we used clip art and pretty much got it right.

image.jpeg.92d846cfb6b790f5d1d4f8c61df65996.jpeg

From 1942

[North Texas Mascot, 1942] - The Portal to Texas History

Also from the WW-2 era..

Vintage North Texas State Decal U.S. Army Eagle WWII - Members Gallery ...

I too like the "Worm" best, but the Scrappy from the 50-60's comes in a pretty close second.

Addendum: I would like to get this on a t-shirt for my granddaughter.

image.png.47b4bb7db2ce18c4722365c51af3d2c2.png

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I believe the Flying Worm is NT's only true "original" logo.  Bring it back!

Considering I know the person who created the "SOW" that's a pretty surprising assertion.  

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

First cartoon Scrappy from the 50's-60's  ORIGINAL

Image result for UNT Mascot Logo

From the Corkey Nelson era......ORIGINAL

image.jpeg.24fcd5ae9b0f9f03878e9323072c4577.jpeg

And not original but one of the few times that we used clip art and pretty much got it right.

image.jpeg.92d846cfb6b790f5d1d4f8c61df65996.jpeg

From 1942

[North Texas Mascot, 1942] - The Portal to Texas History

Also from the WW-2 era..

Vintage North Texas State Decal U.S. Army Eagle WWII - Members Gallery ...

I too like the "Worm" best, but the Scrappy from the 50-60's comes in a pretty close second.

I’ve never seen the WW2 Scrappys. I’m loving the last one!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Considering I know the person who created the "SOW" that's a pretty surprising assertion.  

I think it is a pretty wild idea.  They are not identical but it seems to be a hot issue with some on here.

• Eye Roll 1

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think it is a pretty wild idea.  They are not identical but it seems to be a hot issue with some on here.

Just making sure: we're all talking about the SOW, right, and not the original Flying Worm?

They look nearly identical, down to the feathered segments: 5 total feathers/segments on the wings, 3 front and 2 back, and 3 segments on the tail.  It's really just a matter of color.

I am not throwing a dog in this who-created-it first fight, but man! It's not wild at all to claim one is a copy of the other.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just making sure: we're all talking about the SOW, right, and not the original Flying Worm?

They look nearly identical, down to the feathered segments: 5 total feathers/segments on the wings, 3 front and 2 back, and 3 segments on the tail.  It's really just a matter of color.

I am not throwing a dog in this who-created-it first fight, but man! It's not wild at all to claim one is a copy of the other.

They are exactly the same, except for the bomb, lol.  Better images are on google.  I don't really care who borrowed from who, but if someone reports to have proof of usage first, lets see and hear it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

They are exactly the same, except for the bomb, lol.  Better images are on google.  I don't really care who borrowed from who, but if someone reports to have proof of usage first, lets see and hear it.  

Not exactly.  Close, but I could see how the guy got "inspired" by it. 

Screenshot_20230623_210336_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230623_210509_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

Not exactly.  Close, but I could see how the guy got "inspired" by it. 

Screenshot_20230623_210336_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230623_210509_Chrome.jpg

Lol.  Good catch!   So, who inspired who is now the question. 

Did UNT pay someone for this SOW logo design (or re-design)?

Emmitt?

.................................................................................................

DFW Airport had a similar situation.  They paid a company for a new logo several years ago.   Later it was found to be very similar to SFO's logo in color and style.  Someone probably sued someone for copyright infringement and soon after DFW then changed their logo to the current kindengarten font and orange lettering.

DFW Airport Logo PNG Vector (EPS) Free Download

San Francisco International Airport (SFO) | 511.org

Dallas Fort Worth International Airport - Airport Suppliers

Edited by NT80

To be more exact the stars weren't copied, there was no bomb in the talon's grasp and the eagle is diving in a different direction.  '

My question are copyrights international or only good for one nation?  It seems to me that the same logo would have to be registered in each nation to be called infringement.  I would think that the trademark would be checked in the U.S. for duplication.

• Confused 1

My HS class was the first to graduate from a (then) new campus in my hometown.

Fun story here: in 8th grade, the administration gave us the power to vote on our future school colors and mascot, and they brought in a guy who worked in the branding field to talk to us about the options that were on the ballot.  Coincidentally, one of the options was an eagle.  you know what he said?

Don't do it.  Bird mascots do not offer much variance.  you cannot do much with them without looking like you copied somebody else.

I think this may be at play here with the SOW and Aussie AF.  Even if one did not copy the other, or was not even aware of the other, it's possible (IMO) that this striking similarity is just coincidence.

Also, thank god we were not the Green and Gold Platypus.  #gratitude

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

Lol.  Good catch!   So, who inspired who is now the question. 

Did UNT pay someone for this SOW logo design (or re-design)?

Emmitt?

.................................................................................................

DFW Airport had a similar situation.  They paid a company for a new logo several years ago.   Later it was found to be very similar to SFO's logo in color and style.  Someone probably sued someone for copyright infringement and soon after DFW then changed their logo to the current kindengarten font and orange lettering.

DFW Airport Logo PNG Vector (EPS) Free Download

San Francisco International Airport (SFO) | 511.org

Dallas Fort Worth International Airport - Airport Suppliers

I always heard that the slight curl at the ends of the SoW wings were a nod to the flying worm, which had the same wing tip curl. 

image.png.f3c0f38ff4237ef8b2e6db31d5e99f2a.png

28 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I always heard that the slight curl at the ends of the SoW wings were a nod to the flying worm, which had the same wing tip curl. 

image.png.f3c0f38ff4237ef8b2e6db31d5e99f2a.png

Yes, I heard the same when it came out.  It was supposed to be a modernized version.  It doesn't fit as well on a helmet.  Then someone else posted soon after it came out that it was a knockoff of the Aussie AF version, and showed the online photos.  We never could get a straight answer from Athletics, when RV was there, about where the design came from.

• Upvote 1