It’s going to be interesting…

meanrob

https://twitter.com/on3sports/status/1669137941057118208?s=46

Obviously I can’t embed tweets but these types of schedules are brutal. No chance to make the SEC champ game. Maybe the new playoff. 

Curious to see if the interest is there for a late season 5-4 UF vs 4-5 UT game even with the name recognition. How fast does the novelty wear off? 

8-4 would be a pretty good achievement. But not sure if that will be acceptable to these fan bases. Or donors shelling out NIL money. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5

I’ve said all along, there are going to be upset/disappointed fan bases because someone has to lose.  

I think they’re killing the game when they think they’re making it better.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

https://twitter.com/on3sports/status/1669137941057118208?s=46

Obviously I can’t embed tweets but these types of schedules are brutal. No chance to make the SEC champ game. Maybe the new playoff. 

Curious to see if the interest is there for a late season 5-4 UF vs 4-5 UT game even with the name recognition. How fast does the novelty wear off? 

8-4 would be a pretty good achievement. But not sure if that will be acceptable to these fan bases. Or donors shelling out NIL money. 

Florida v Tennessee yes, Florida v Texas not as much.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, NT93 said:

I’ve said all along, there are going to upset/disappointed fan bases because someone has to lose.  

This is the slippery-slope of Super Conferences.  All the best programs together = very tough schedules.

Fans will be screaming for a coaching change when they finish only 7-5 or 6-6, regardless of opponents.

• Upvote 4

A win?

An opponent vs another tough SEC/B10 foe?

We're about to find out which the fans want to see more.  It's bittersweet, because I'm getting the feeling that the SEC/B10 fanbases would rather see the latter, even if it means a likely loss.  Even if the former equates to a better chance at championships, sometimes the sports masses can be dumb and don't have that kind of foresight.

Edited by greenminer
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NT93 said:

I’ve said all along, there are going to upset/disappointed fan bases because someone has to lose.  

You really think “making the game better” has factored into any of the moves after the SEC went to 12 teams with divisions, and OT was created?   Nothing prevented the elite schools from scheduling other elite schools for their out of conference schedules before.  They want pro revenue from a non-professional league.  They also want all that pro-level revenue   without revenue sharing through the entirety of FBS.  I love the NFL but I love CFB because it’s DIFFERENT from the NFL.  

1. On Campus older stadiums, (the conference championships and playoff games take a lot of the best matchups to neutral field pro stadiums)

2. Storied Rivals play once a year maybe twice in an exceptional year for both teams. (With regular season, conference championships, and 12 playoffs teams will play each other 3 times the same year).

3. Some ANNUAL long standing rivalry games will no longer be annual because the conferences are too big.  (I have heard that if the SEC doesn’t go to a nine game conference schedule Auburn vs Georgia may not be guaranteed annually)

4. Less popular regional rivalries are being killed by coast to coast conferences (is a Maryland fan regularly running into a Wisconsin fan and talking smack? Probably not) 

My interest in late regular season CFB not involving UNT has drastically decreased with with UT vs A&M gone and the very little on the line when 2 undefeated highly ranked teams square off.   Now late season undefeated matchups of teams that are not long standing rivals will lack drama.  Both will be going to the 12 team playoff.   The 12 team playoff isn’t a total loser but losing some of that late season drama in the P5 conferences is high cost IMO.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

They are moving to a 12-team playoff.  Which sets the stage perfectly for inclusion of one (or more) teams from the revamped SEC or Big 10 with 4 losses….because they play such “brutal” schedules.  

I don't get the 12-team playoff.  If there were an 8-team playoff they could be done in three weeks. 8-4-2 done.  The SEC and Big 10 get two representatives; the Big XII, ACC, Pac12 and AAC get one each.

Increase the number of wins for bowl eligibility.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NT93 said:

100% this. The easiest place to see this happening is the way that each time the SEC has expanded, it has killed off several major historical rivalries. The last SEC expansion killed Florida's annual rivalry with Auburn, one of our oldest and most competitive rivals. This expansion will no doubt kill others, all in the name of TV marketshare and revenue generation.

Coming off a losing season this past year and not a lot of optimism for this coming year's Gator team, that 2024 schedule is going to be a brutal one for a head coach who is likely to be feeling a lot of heat. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, chomp said:

100% this. The easiest place to see this happening is the way that each time the SEC has expanded, it has killed off several major historical rivalries. The last SEC expansion killed Florida's annual rivalry with Auburn, one of our oldest and most competitive rivals. This expansion will no doubt kill others, all in the name of TV marketshare and revenue generation.

Coming off a losing season this past year and not a lot of optimism for this coming year's Gator team, that 2024 schedule is going to be a brutal one for a head coach who is likely to be feeling a lot of heat. 

I agree but it also is adding some huge rivalries as well.  Texas OU is a big one and A&M Texas is even bigger.   That Texas and A&M game will be one of the most watched TV games in the history of the NCAA.

• Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

36 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Increase the number of wins for bowl eligibility.

It would be interesting to see how many teams play in a bowl that did not finish at least .500 in their conferences last year. That would be a good place to start cutting some of the Bowls.

** Took a quick look. Teams that did not finish at least .500 in Conference and played in Bowls - 15

AAC - 1
ACC - 1
Big 12 - 4
Big 10 - 2
Pac 10 - 1
CUSA - 1
SEC - 4
Belt - 1

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1