some of you...

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

how douchebaged are y'all's lives that you can't just enjoy, again, the greatest moment in our school's athletic history? it's embarrassing. please stop.

Nice comments until the douchebag in you had to make an appearance. 💩

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Trust me, I'm aware. I just don't think like you that I am so much more knowledgeable than everyone else, and the world would be such a great place if only everyone would follow you.

aspire to more, I guess?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

TP’s eligibility isn’t up or he would be done. The portal allows him, or any other player, to go elsewhere. Sorry, I don’t like it. Woolridge went to Gonzaga and he will always be referenced as a Zag. What would everyone think if Joe Greene used up his eligibility and then transferred to UT, SMU, or elsewhere?  Would we still feel the same?  Sorry if you think that is douchebaggy of me but it is what it is. 

I love you, and I feel you Lifer.  Joe played in a very, very different world and the values and mechanics and economics of collegiate athletics have changed enormously.  I hate it too and I share your dream and vision of TP taking us on an NCAA run next year.  Sadly (for us fans) things don’t work that way anymore and it’s time to reload and trust Ross to do it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

TP’s eligibility isn’t up or he would be done. The portal allows him, or any other player, to go elsewhere. Sorry, I don’t like it. Woolridge went to Gonzaga and he will always be referenced as a Zag. What would everyone think if Joe Greene used up his eligibility and then transferred to UT, SMU, or elsewhere?  Would we still feel the same?  Sorry if you think that is douchebaggy of me but it is what it is. 

then you shouldn't like what Kai or Sissoko or Martinez or Eady or Deng Geu or Reese did here. the portal is a tool, not a detriment for a well-run program. 

who is constantly referencing Ryan Woolridge in your world? his choosing to play a season for a top 10 basketball program does nothing to lessen the CBI banner hanging at the Pit. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I trust Ross and will be cheering for our team. If TP goes elsewhere, sorry, won’t care and don’t really wish him much success.  I also don’t wish failure, but they have now tainted my memory of them being one of us.  Ok know it has all changed,  but I don’t like it. 

I don’t disagree with much of what you said other than that his success and being from here helps our brand.  That sucks I know. 

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Completely drawing a blank right now, but it reminds me of the receiver we have that left for Hawaii. The next season, when it was time for the draft, everyone was talking about the receiver from Hawaii, and all of his highlights were from North Texas.

Rico Bussey.  Never recovered from the knee injury at Cal and busted in Pittsburgh.

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Completely drawing a blank right now, but it reminds me of the receiver we have that left for Hawaii. The next season, when it was time for the draft, everyone was talking about the receiver from Hawaii, and all of his highlights were from North Texas.

Bussey.  Yep, loved him. Once he left, he tainted my memory of him. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Bussey.  Yep, loved him. Once he left, he tainted my memory of him. 

Felt/feel the same.  It’s all getting so complicated with all this for us fans.  The Drive would’ve never finished without him, but there’s still bitterness.  

I do feel TP is different bc he finished his original eligibility and won a very meaningful championship here so I don’t think it’s a fair comparison.  

One way or another, it sure is nice to have so much passion and hope and rabidness in our desire to compete around here.  Not that the folks involved thus far in this thread aren’t always those things…but we are hungrier and expect more and that’s a beautiful thing. 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

Since I figured he was gone, the fact that he won't be here doesn't bother me.  Of course I thought he was going to Europe or somewhere else overseas.  Now that he's transferring it does hurt some.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Felt/feel the same.  It’s all getting so complicated with all this for us fans.  The Drive would’ve never finished without him, but there’s still bitterness.  

Agree. Some might not agree, but for me, If TP ends up playing professionally or plays at another school, it makes a difference. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

It is hypocritical, and completely invalidates your argument.Kai, Eady, Martinez, etc., those guys weren't ours, we didn't develop them, but we took them from other schools. You can't have it both ways. 

It doesn’t invalidate anything. Preferably, I would like to see the old transfer rules put in place. You want to go, then sit a year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It doesn’t invalidate anything. Preferably, I would like to see the old transfer rules put in place. You want to go, then sit a year. 

What you prefer doesn't change things, because the reality is these players get free transfers. You can't be ok with NT poaching players while being upset when a player gets poached. UNT used the current portal rules to get players like Huntsberry, Martinez, Eady, and Sissoko. Again, you can't have it both ways. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

I think we we need to remind ourselves every so often that, when is all said or done, for coaches, ADs, staff, etc., this is just a job or stop along their desired career path.  Just like your job/career.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's unusual for people to work at the same company their entire careers.  With the new landscape of college sports it may be time to think about the athletes the same way.  It's not bad.  It's just the way it is.  How many of you even knew who Tylor Perry was 3 years ago?  There is a ton of talent out there.  Let's go get it.

In terms of timing, the old adage is you leave on a high note.  The best time to move on is when you leave them with tears instead of cheers.

• Upvote 5

If people are poaching our players and coaches it means we're doing something right. 

It feels a lot better when I hear the national media go "he built a winner at North Texas" versus  what I've heard far too often after the Dickey (don't tell me about those 4 NO Bowls, he was 42-64), Dodge, McCarney and Littrell (yes he was .500 but his teams got boring to watch) years. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

it's embarrassing. please stop.

Since you’re doling out advice, I’d advise you to use proper capitalization in your written communication. The lack of capitalization undercuts your argument and is embarrassing. Feels like we’re reading text messages from a 13 year old. Please stop. 

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2