NIT Note - Utah Valley Coach takes the Cal Job

Why should we expect something similar? Madsen went to high school 35 minutes away from the Cal Berkeley campus. Him leaving Utah Valley for Cal is him going home. It's McCasland leaving Arkansas State to come to UNT. Grant ain't going to Lubbock.

I'm not in denial. I really think this Texas Tech deal is overblown.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why should we expect something similar? Madsen went to high school 35 minutes away from the Cal Berkeley campus. Him leaving Utah Valley for Cal is him going home. It's McCasland leaving Arkansas State to come to UNT. Grant ain't going to Lubbock.

prayer GIF

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

52 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Sadly, probably announce Friday and introduce Monday.   Very quiet in Lubbock and no denials from Mac = trouble.

I agree. If you listen to the way he describes the team in the PCs lately he talks about the totality of accomplishments as if he is putting a bow on his time here. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Grant did his MM in Lubbock and met his wife there.  If you knew that, I think you're underestimating it

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Grant did his MM in Lubbock and met his wife there.  If you knew that, I think you're underestimating it

I knew that but I don't see why that's relevant. It's a school they both went to at some point and that's it. I've got friends who went to schools all over the country and that doesn't mean they automatically want to move back to their college towns for work. It's one thing to commit to living away from family for 4 years while a young adult with no kids of your own. It's another to theoretically commit to the rest of your childrens' childhood in a secluded town 4 hours away from your entire immediate family.

Grant and his wife are both from DFW. His wife has her parents, her brother, his wife, and his 3 kids all in DFW. She stated in an interview while at Arkansas State that being close to family was the most important thing to her. Everything they have is here. If it happens it's because of money and the dream of being a B12 HC. That's it. Not because they met on a dirt road in Lubbock.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I knew that but I don't see why that's relevant. It's a school they both went to at some point and that's it. I've got friends who went to schools all over the country and that doesn't mean they automatically want to move back to their college towns for work. It's one thing to commit to living away from family for 4 years while a young adult with no kids of your own. It's another to theoretically commit to the rest of your childrens' childhood in a secluded town 4 hours away from your entire immediate family.

Grant and his wife are both from DFW. His wife has her parents, her brother, his wife, and his 3 kids all in DFW. She stated in an interview while at Arkansas State that being close to family was the most important thing to her. Everything they have is here. If it happens it's because of money and the dream of being a B12 HC. That's it. Not because they met on a dirt road in Lubbock.

A lot of assumptions being made about how Grant should feel about Lubbock.  I am not making any.  I've read what we all think about Lubbock - I feel pretty much the same way - but that doesn't mean Grant has to hate it, too.

All that Lubbock money and he could buy a second home in DFW with cash to spare.  How about a second home next door in Lubbock for his DFW family to visit?  I don't understand why people think this is an either-or thing (regarding travel/location).  That kind of cash gives him tons of travel resources.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

A lot of assumptions being made about how Grant should feel about Lubbock.  I am not making any.  I've read what we all think about Lubbock - I feel pretty much the same way - but that doesn't mean Grant has to hate it, too.

All that Lubbock money and he could buy a second home in DFW with cash to spare.  How about a second home next door in Lubbock for his DFW family to visit?  I don't understand why people think this is an either-or thing (regarding travel/location).  That kind of cash gives him tons of travel resources.

Cash is great but it doesn't mean he, his wife, and their kids can hop in the car and meet family at a restaurant in DFW for dinner on a random Tuesday night. Or randomly plan to go see a movie together. Or go bowling together. Or anything else. Yeah, here's a second house for you to come stay in when you have time off work twice a year. Alright, see you at Thanksgiving in 3 months. Hey dad, when can we go see our cousins who we haven't hung out with since summer?

There are three major D1 programs in DFW (not counting UTA) and he has one of them. While being from DFW. With a wife from DFW. With both of their families here.

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I’ve never wanted a post to be more true than this one.

15 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I’ve never wanted a post to be more true than this one.

SMU’s athletic program has gone broke, the NCAA has leveled multiple major allegations against them, and the Dallas police just arrested their AD.  

How bout now?  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Cash is great but it doesn't mean he, his wife, and their kids can hop in the car and meet family at a restaurant in DFW for dinner on a random Tuesday night. Or randomly plan to go see a movie together. Or go bowling together. Or anything else. Yeah, here's a second house for you to come stay in when you have time off work twice a year. Alright, see you at Thanksgiving in 3 months. Hey dad, when can we go see our cousins who we haven't hung out with since summer?

There are three major D1 programs in DFW (not counting UTA) and he has one of them. While being from DFW. With a wife from DFW. With both of their families here.

Some Tech millionaire will offer him use of a private jet to jet off to DFW for dinner. It would be like a 30 minute flight.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1