NIT Note - Utah Valley Coach takes the Cal Job

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Some Tech millionaire will offer him use of a private jet to jet off to DFW for dinner. It would be like a 30 minute flight.

It's about 1 hour and 20 minutes one way. Not exactly pop over on a school night type of flight.

I know everything points to him leaving but I'll still be surprised if it becomes official. Everything about them says they want to be close to family. They have that here. Guess we'll find out in a day or two.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Cash is great but it doesn't mean he, his wife, and their kids can hop in the car and meet family at a restaurant in DFW for dinner on a random Tuesday night. Or randomly plan to go see a movie together. Or go bowling together. Or anything else. Yeah, here's a second house for you to come stay in when you have time off work twice a year. Alright, see you at Thanksgiving in 3 months. Hey dad, when can we go see our cousins who we haven't hung out with since summer?

There are three major D1 programs in DFW (not counting UTA) and he has one of them. While being from DFW. With a wife from DFW. With both of their families here.

Grant: "Hey family, come stay in Lubbock for the week, in the house I bought you.  We will sneak in bowling and a movie on Tuesday night.  Maybe make dinner together on Friday."

Does that seem more reasonable?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Grant: "Hey family, come stay in Lubbock for the week, in the house I bought you.  We will sneak in bowling and a movie on Tuesday night.  Maybe make dinner together on Friday."

Does that seem more reasonable?

I'd like to think you know that's not the same as living nearby. What? Is his family going to take a week off work any time they want to spend time together? Same with his wife's family? Is he going to pay their bills too so they can take a bunch of time of work to hang out? Is he going to fly his family in every hone game? Again, I'd like to think you know it's not the same. 

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'd like to think you know that's not the same as living nearby. What? Is his family going to take a week off work any time they want to spend time together? Same with his wife's family? Is he going to pay their bills too so they can take a bunch of time of work to hang out? Is he going to fly his family in every hone game? Again, I'd like to think you know it's not the same. 

If that's a big deal to him, that's fine.  My family did not base where we lived on extended family.  We lived in El Paso my entire life, while everyone else was in PA, FL, or VA.  We'd visit them occasionally for anywhere from 3 days to a couple weeks.  Some days - during the visits - we'd go to the park or local movie theater because none of our extende family was available that day (work, whatever).  We'd all agree to meet the following day, or for dinner.

So obviously, I am speaking from personal experience here, while some families think a lot about living close to as much family as possible.  My family visits were not very often.  Depending on who you talk to (and what your Lubbock pay would be), it may or may not be that big of a deal to travel to/from DFW.  Compared to El Paso - Eerie, PA, it's far but it's not THAT far.

My impression of Grant, from the conference/announcement, was that it was his Dad that was the priority.  I know he grew up in Irving, so he will know a ton of people here.  I don't know how big his extended family is.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

If that's a big deal to him, that's fine.  My family did not base where we lived on extended family.  We lived in El Paso my entire life, while everyone else was in PA, FL, or VA.  We'd visit them occasionally for anywhere from 3 days to a couple weeks.  Some days - during the visits - we'd go to the park or local movie theater because none of our extende family was available that day (work, whatever).  We'd all agree to meet the following day, or for dinner.

So obviously, I am speaking from personal experience here, while some families think a lot about living close to as much family as possible.  My family visits were not very often.  Depending on who you talk to (and what your Lubbock pay would be), it may or may not be that big of a deal to travel to/from DFW.  Compared to El Paso - Eerie, PA, it's far but it's not THAT far.

My impression of Grant, from the conference/announcement, was that it was his Dad that was the priority.  I know he grew up in Irving, so he will know a ton of people here.  I don't know how big his extended family is.

the red flags.  Grant is gone, y'all.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think GMG_Dallas is in the first stage of the 5 stages of grief -- denial.  Once it becomes official in the the next few days, we might start seeing some "anger" posts from him (Stage 2) .  It will be OK y'all.  Ross Hodge is a capable replacement and Grant will go down a legend at UNT just like Hayden Fry. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

I think GMG_Dallas is in the first stage of the 5 stages of grief -- denial.  Once it becomes official in the the next few days, we might start seeing some "anger" posts from him (Stage 2) .  It will be OK y'all.  Ross Hodge is a capable replacement and Grant will go down a legend at UNT just like Hayden Fry. 

I'm not in denial, nothing is official. I'm fine with Hodge taking over when it's official. All I'm saying is no amount of Jets replaces being a 40 minute drive from family.