Still 38th in NET Rankings

SUMG

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Here is where the “big school” versus “small school” argument will never be truly fair.  

If I put the NBA Western Conference All-Star team in North Texas jerseys and had them play our current schedule, they would go 34-0 and win every game by a minimum of 30 points.   And the selection committee would put them in the NCAA tournament with a worse seed than the champion of several “power 5” leagues.  

Granted, we’d pull off a couple “upsets” on our way to the title, but the rankings/seedings would be a joke.  

In an alternate universe where we had an NBA all-star roster wearing our jerseys, we would be destroying teams and the media would come like a magnet as the first 10-20 games unfolded.  At some point, it would be impossible to ignore.

I don't believe your scenario for a second lol

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The unsaid, overseen, and never said metric is TV obligations and filing those obligations during selection time. 

If that were true, UNC would have made it in.  They have one of the biggest followings in all of College Basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Of the Last Four In, First Four Out....we had better NET rankings than 7 of the 8. BTW...I think the Big XII has been way overrated this year. But when their double digit loss teams....get single digit seeds....it's hard for them not to do well. Okie State.....first team out....went 18-15 this year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 2

47 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm just  saying the NET was never the only metric.

Yet we followed it all year like Dorothy followed the yellow brick road. Guess we should have done better covering the spreads. 
I am disappointed but I also never really thought they would give us/CUSA a second team. Same ol’ same Ol’. I just want to hear the justification for those picked with a higher NET than us. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yet we followed it all year like Dorothy followed the yellow brick road. Guess we should have done better covering the spreads. 
I am disappointed but I also never really thought they would give us/CUSA a second team. Same ol’ same Ol’. I just want to hear the justification for those picked with a higher NET than us. 

And you won't get a justification, because the little guys usually don't have the right people in the right place to ask those questions. Nor are we a large enough fan base to rattle the cage. 

3 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Higher NETs than us

Iowa 39

N'western 41

Missouri 42

N C State 45

Penn State 48

Miss. State 49

USC 50

Providence 56

Arizona State 66

Pitt 67

VCU 53 (not sure....they might have been a AQ) 

VCU was an AQ.

58 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm just  saying the NET was never the only metric.

You're right. Other metrics include good Quad 1/2 records. Quads are used to define the strength of a win/loss based on the opposing team's NET ranking. A team's NET ranking represents a team's quality based on that teams' wins and defensive/offensive efficiency ratings. NET ranking is not the only metric used to establish at-large bids. Other metrics include good Quad 1/2 records. *Repeat*

• Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

If that were true, UNC would have made it in.  They have one of the biggest followings in all of College Basketball.

Couldn't have happened to a better program. Can't be bothered with the NIT. Very nice for their seniors who played their last game of college basketball without knowing it would be their last.

• Puking Eagle 3

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Which are a factor in a team’s NET rankings. Basically, NET, KenPom, Quad wins, Lunardi, etc… are just tools to drive interest and have little bearing on the committee’s decision. Just like football rankings. Means nothing, just a tool to quiet the fans of up and coming programs. “Elite” programs won’t schedule you and then won’t include you in their tournaments. F’ all of them. Let’s go win the NIT. 

Clapping Applause GIF

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Never forget how NCAA logic works.

Why is Team A ranked despite their losses? 

“Because they play in such a tough conference”

And what makes that conference so tough? 

“Because it’s filled with ranked teams”

I've said this before but I've seen similar discussions regarding Notre Dame/Michigan/etc. football ranking when the teams were all around 7-5.

• Upvote 1