Rice (1/19/2023)

greenminer

Mean Green vs. Owls  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• North Texas Mean Green
    • Rice Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2023 at 04:00 AM

I mean if you look at our scores, if we set our scoring cap at 60, we'd still have won almost all the games we actually have won.  

We'd still have defeated SNU, Fresno State, Paul Quinn,  SJSU, Long Beach State, Omaha, UTA, Grand Canyon, UMass, UTSA, FIU(x2), and MTSU, 

If we scored 60 points in all of our current losses, that would turn UNCW and FAU(first time) into victories.

Obviously there are games that we'd need to score above 60 to win, but with our style if we get to  60-65 we should be able to win most of the time.  It's just a fact. 

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We shot 37.5% from the floor (21 for 56) while Rice went 53.2% (25 for 47).

We shot 37% from distance (10 for 27!) while Rice shot 42.9% (only 3 for 7).

We shot 61.5% from the FT line (8 for 13) while Rice shot 90.5% from the FT line (19 for 21).

We chucked the ball at the rim 29 more times than Rice did and we lost by 12. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

We shot 37.5% from the floor (21 for 56) while Rice went 53.2% (25 for 47).

We shot 37% from distance (10 for 27!) while Rice shot 42.9% (only 3 for 7).

We shot 61.5% from the FT line (8 for 13) while Rice shot 90.5% from the FT line (19 for 21).

We chucked the ball at the rim 29 more times than Rice did and we lost by 12. 

Exactly, poor offense (shooting) was the main reason for this loss. 

Also, 13 turnovers = shot clock violations, poor passes and allowed 8 steals by Rice.

Several of those numbers keith posted tell me that our defense was subpar.  Shooting 37% from distance is like shooting over 50% from inside the arc. 

https://thatsportlife.com/what-is-a-good-3-point-percentage-with-examples/#:~:text=Basketball 3-Point Percentage&text=In most levels of basketball,above average or even elite.

That's actually pretty good.  We don't usually allow teams to shoot over 40% from behind the arc.

Allowing your opponent to shoot over 50% from the field is not what Coach Mac's teams are built on.  We're built on defense.  So when we give up that sorta shooting percentage, it's tough to win.  That's WHY they can have so many fewer possessions and still win.  Because we couldn't stop them.

(If we were built to be a scoring team, I'd agree that we have offensive issues, but we're really not.  And since we're built to dominate on D, those are the glaring weaknesses from Thursday)

Free throws have been an Achilles heel for us.

The other day on the radio broadcast they gave an insane stat on how often we win  under Mac when giving up under 65.  I can't recall exactly what it was, but it was damn near 90% of the time.  Defense is where our bread is buttered.  Giving up 72 is not how we generally are gonna win.

Edited by CMJ
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, CMJ said:

Several of those numbers keith posted tell me that our defense was subpar.  Shooting 37% from distance is like shooting over 50% from inside the arc. 

https://thatsportlife.com/what-is-a-good-3-point-percentage-with-examples/#:~:text=Basketball 3-Point Percentage&text=In most levels of basketball,above average or even elite.

That's actually pretty good.  We don't usually allow teams to shoot over 40% from behind the arc.

Allowing your opponent to shoot over 50% from the field is not what Coach Mac's teams are built on.  We're built on defense.  So when we give up that sorta shooting percentage, it's tough to win.  That's WHY they can have so many fewer possessions and still win.  Because we couldn't stop them.

(If we were built to be a scoring team, I'd agree that we have offensive issues, but we're really not.  And since we're built to dominate on D, those are the glaring weaknesses from Thursday)

Free throws have been an Achilles heel for us.

The other day on the radio broadcast they gave an insane stat on how often we win  under Mac when giving up under 65.  I can't recall exactly what it was, but it was damn near 90% of the time.  Defense is where our bread is buttered.  Giving up 72 is not how we generally are gonna win.

100%. The more I think about it. I feel like the guys really just mailed that one in and Rice had more energy. They wanted it more.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

100%. The more I think about it. I feel like the guys really just mailed that one in and Rice had more energy. They wanted it more.

Mac has talked a ton about togetherness since Thursday.  Cheering each other on after taking a charge.  High fives.  helping each out out.

All of these things have a strong correlation to energy.

• Upvote 1