New Years Resolutions for UNT Athletics

Dannymacfan

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

RECRUIT!!!!!

1. TXHSFB Connections  2. Relentless Recruiters  3. Emphasis on all 3 Phases

The roster has been 90 percent Texan for the past 80 years... How could we be any stronger in Texas recruiting?

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

45 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

The roster has been 90 percent Texan for the past 80 years... How could we be any stronger in Texas recruiting?

The question is not what is the percentage who are from Texas, but what is the quality. And for that to improve Texas HS coaches need to be willing to send kids who could also go to in conference competition or even P5, no matter if out of state or in state. It would be ok if it were only 75% Texas kids, provided the overall talent gets better.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

RECRUIT!!!!!

1. TXHSFB Connections  2. Relentless Recruiters  3. Emphasis on all 3 Phases

All you said may be correct. But... I just can nooooooot hear that sentence on point 3 anymore. I expect that will last for about the next two years.

Some places have swear jars. Can we get a coach speak jar into this forum?

marge simpson earthquake GIF

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Texas HS coaches need to be willing to send kids ........

High school coaches do not pick colleges for their kids.  This does not happen.  High school coaches open the doors to any college coach that wants to recruit their kids.  They do NOT influence where the kids go. 

This whole "high school connections" thing is WAY over rated.   High school coaches do not choose the colleges for their players.  I have been involved in recruiting for athletes in 3 different sports for a number of high schools where I worked.  Never, never, never had influence over where a kid went.  That is totally between the college, the kid, and the parents.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

High school coaches do not pick colleges for their kids.  This does not happen.  High school coaches open the doors to any college coach that wants to recruit their kids.  They do NOT influence where the kids go. 

This whole "high school connections" thing is WAY over rated.   High school coaches do not choose the colleges for their players.  I have been involved in recruiting for athletes in 3 different sports for a number of high schools where I worked.  Never, never, never had influence over where a kid went.  That is totally between the college, the kid, and the parents.

Hard disagree. Sure the coaches don’t make the decision, but if you don’t think a lot of kids are asking their HS coaches for advice, or those coaches aren’t pushing their alma mater or a big time P5 offer you’re crazy. How many times have we seen a big time recruit go to a school and the HS head coach is put on the staff as an analyst? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Hard disagree. Sure the coaches don’t make the decision, but if you don’t think a lot of kids are asking their HS coaches for advice, or those coaches aren’t pushing their alma mater or a big time P5 offer you’re crazy. How many times have we seen a big time recruit go to a school and the HS head coach is put on the staff as an analyst? 

They may ask, but more often than not the coaches alma mater does not offer.  I don't know of a single coach that pushed a kid to play in a certain school.  Not one in 27 years.  I did encourage NT not to offer a kid once.  He was a poor character individual and I didn't want him at NT.  The coaches at NT decided not to offer and he want to another school where he did exactly what I predicted. But I never spoke to the kid about where to go or not go.

My advice to the kids was 1) Don't worry about the size of the school or the conference 2) Do you like the coaches and think you will have a good experience there? and 3) Do they offer the degree you want? Will you get a good education there?

I also asked "Do you think you are their #5 recruit or their #25 recruit?" If you are #25, perhaps you should consider some of the other offers, even if they are smaller.  Go where you are wanted the most.

Again, not one coach I worked with in 27 years tried to influence a kid to go to the same school they did.

• Upvote 2