2023 NET Rankings

What do we have to do to work ourselves into "Bubble Watch"?

Do we have any chance of getting into the Tourney if we were to win out until the final? That would place us at 28-6, compared to 24-6 last year after the conference tournament.

If we win out until the conference final, will losing to FAU make a difference compared to losing to UAB? If UAB were to beat us in the final, and we finished 28-7, and FAU ~29-3, how many of us would be going to the tournament?

Does program's history ever come into consideration? Grant would likely have six straight 20-win seasons had we had a full 20-21 season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Do we have any chance of getting into the Tourney if we were to win out until the final? That would place us at 28-6, compared to 24-6 last year after the conference tournament.

If we win out until the conference final, will losing to FAU make a difference compared to losing to UAB? If UAB were to beat us in the final, and we finished 28-7, and FAU ~29-3, how many of us would be going to the tournament?

Does program's history ever come into consideration? Grant would likely have six straight 20-win seasons had we had a full 20-21 season.

I think we're going to have to beat UAB and FAU every time we see them AND UAB stay in the Q1 range (top 75 when at home). The one constant knock on the mid-majors is lack of Q1 wins. Doesn't help that we have no OOC Q1 wins.

I personally don't think we have a chance at an at-large but I'd gladly be proven wrong.

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I wouldn't say its impossible... UNT would need to win out, win every game by at least 10 points, and a few other schools would need to completely fall apart, and suffer bad losses in the first round of their tournaments. 

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How does the MWC get 4-5 bids?

They have 5 schools in the top 40 in NET, now most bracketologists probably dont take into account any kind of upsets in the conference tournaments.  For example in Memphis or UCF were to win the AAC tournament, then the AAC would be a 2 bid conference (Houston would be an at large) and that would likely effect how many MW schools get bids.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dml7007 said:

Stayed at 56 with the win - UAB dropped to 75, so it still counted as a Q1 win. 

Records by Quad.

Quad 1 - 1-3

Quad 2 - 2-0

Quad 3 - 8-2 Quad 4 - 7-0

UNT was a 2.5 point favorite in this game, and won by 3.... but it took 2 overtimes. It was a great game and I have no idea how the overtimes effected the NET rankings. I'm just glad we squeaked out the win. Like others have noted. UNT has to win the C-USA tournament title to get an invitation to the Big Dance.

• Upvote 3

One of my favorite sites:

https://bracketologists.com/visualizations/net-kenpom-scatter

Before we lost to FAU the first time, we were about where A&M is now in Net and they were about where we are now (although KenPom has consistently favored them). Since the second FAU loss, we have stayed about steady despite the loss to Rice.

In other words it wasn't specifically the Rice loss that has hurt us. We had 2 chances to beat FAU and move into the conversation. Beyond that, there isn't a whole lot of opportunity to stay in front of teams that have more opportunities for wins against great teams.

28 minutes ago, CMJ said:

We can probably control an NIT invite with the rest of the conference season should we win lose one or no games.  That's what I'm focused on for now.  Once Frisco happens a new goal will be in mind.

I'm concerned about our game with Charlotte tomorrow. I'm worried the 2 overtimes may have left our guys in need of more rest than they will get. Charlotte is a fairly good team. If we are playing on shaky legs, it could be a trap game. Hope the bench is ready to contribute some meaningful minutes if needed. 

23 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I'm concerned about our game with Charlotte tomorrow. I'm worried the 2 overtimes may have left our guys in need of more rest than they will get. Charlotte is a fairly good team. If we are playing on shaky legs, it could be a trap game. Hope the bench is ready to contribute some meaningful minutes if needed. 

I’m with you…this is a tough turnaround. Looking forward to seeing how the squad responds. 

28 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m with you…this is a tough turnaround. Looking forward to seeing how the squad responds. 

Charlotte had a long road trip to El Paso, but a pretty easy game.  They are still on the road and think the jet lag will catch up to them tomorrow.  I expect our guys to have a lot of confidence after the UAB win!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

A Florida win many moons ago, and a recent UAB loss...and they are this loved.

I mean, good for them and CUSA, but I am trying to wrap my mind around this.  Florida is barely sharing the room with us in bubble converstations.  Seems like a bit of history is at work here.

Would we get the same treatment?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

I honestly don't care if FAU is overrated or why they're so loved by bracketologists. I want them in the big dance as an at-large because I don't think they'll win the conference tourney. The future of the (new) AAC depends on it.  Would really be great for CUSA to send two future AAC teams and the AAC to send Memphis. Can't keep being in single-bid conferences.

• Upvote 4

On 2/7/2023 at 2:41 PM, Matt from A700 said:

The NCAA is going to have to take notice of us soon. I'f we don't get an invite, then the NIT is a shoe in.

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2023 at 3:58 PM, greenminer said:

A Florida win many moons ago, and a recent UAB loss...and they are this loved.

I mean, good for them and CUSA, but I am trying to wrap my mind around this.  Florida is barely sharing the room with us in bubble converstations.  Seems like a bit of history is at work here.

Would we get the same treatment?

Just win, baby!

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1