NMSU get former Denton/TAMU QB

El Paso Eagle

24 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not sure the story here, but it sure seems like a lot of Denton high schoolers want to stay out of Denton.

I think some people, like me, want(ed) to get out of town ASAP.  Make the world smaller.  Establish some space between themselves and their family.  And want to keep that space.

I think other kinds of people like the idea of staying home and don't relate to the above.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Having grown up in Denton around the Fred Moore Park area, part of the problem is that a lot of people, or at least people in that area always felt that UNT students looked down on us because we were from Denton. It built a lot of animosity. It's not the athletics departments fault. Some of you old enough may remember when Bernard Jackson was killed years ago. I know the guy who shot him. I was young then, but one of the reasons he did it was because he felt like "those guys think they are better than us" and he wanted to prove a point. Unfortunately, some of the Denton kids are children or grandchildren of them or related in someway and kind of grew up looking at UNT sideways. I am not saying any of that is the only reason, but it is a big part. UNT and Denton need to partner together to make Denton feel like UNT is their school and to make UNT feel like Denton is their city. Maybe the Athletics Department has to do more outreach in the Denton communities. I don't know the answer, but we have to start somewhere. I ran into Denton Ryan's HC at an event at Fred Moore park one day because he wanted it to be known that he supports his players and what's important to them. Maybe UNT needs to do stuff like that to let those boys know that they care about them outside of athletics.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think some people, like me, want(ed) to get out of town ASAP.  Make the world smaller.  Establish some space between themselves and their family.  And want to keep that space.

I think other kinds of people like the idea of staying home and don't relate to the above.

Understandable, but it has always seemed odd that occasionaly a highly recruited player does not stay home or at least come back as a transfer. 

5 minutes ago, Venson said:

UNT and Denton need to partner together to make Denton feel like UNT is their school and to make UNT feel like Denton is their city. Maybe the Athletics Department has to do more outreach in the Denton communities.

I have thought this for a long time. In years past UH did a good job keeping locals, and now UTSA is doing a better job.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Venson said:

Having grown up in Denton around the Fred Moore Park area, part of the problem is that a lot of people, or at least people in that area always felt that UNT students looked down on us because we were from Denton. It built a lot of animosity. It's not the athletics departments fault. Some of you old enough may remember when Bernard Jackson was killed years ago. I know the guy who shot him. I was young then, but one of the reasons he did it was because he felt like "those guys think they are better than us" and he wanted to prove a point. Unfortunately, some of the Denton kids are children or grandchildren of them or related in someway and kind of grew up looking at UNT sideways. I am not saying any of that is the only reason, but it is a big part. UNT and Denton need to partner together to make Denton feel like UNT is their school and to make UNT feel like Denton is their city. Maybe the Athletics Department has to do more outreach in the Denton communities. I don't know the answer, but we have to start somewhere. I ran into Denton Ryan's HC at an event at Fred Moore park one day because he wanted it to be known that he supports his players and what's important to them. Maybe UNT needs to do stuff like that to let those boys know that they care about them outside of athletics.

Interesting.  I grew up in Denton and honestly, never felt that way.  Not saying you are wrong, just a different perspective.  I agree 100% about UNT and Denton needing to get together.

I never heard who shot him.  Can you share?

Edited by UNTLifer

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I grew up in Denton and honestly, never felt that way.

I can agree to that. That's why I said "at least the people living around the Fred Moore Park area." As you probably are well aware, Denton was fairly segregated back then. Most Black people lived within a couple of miles of Fred Moore park. It was pretty rare that you found any who lived outside that area. We all called it Southeast Denton.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Venson said:

I can agree to that. That's why I said "at least the people living around the Fred Moore Park area." As you probably are well aware, Denton was fairly segregated back then. Most Black people lived within a couple of miles of Fred Moore park. It was pretty rare that you found any who lived outside that area. We all called it Southeast Denton.

Know the area well.

37 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's a thing everywhere. Growing up in El Paso, you couldn't have given me a full ride to attend UTEP. I just wanted to get out

• Upvote 2

Me and lots of my friends looked at North Texas as our “default” college.  We always assumed NT was next.  I had a NTSU decal in my back window before I graduated. 

The site of the shooting by the way was the old Mean Green Inn (not a hotel but a disco).  I never went in the club but I remember the incident well.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Venson said:

Tried the messenger thing, but it said you could not receive messages. Trigger man was Terry Williams.

I remember the killing while hearing about it at breakfast at Mac Hall. Made me sick. I guess those guys are out of prison. Do they still live in Denton?

38 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

I remember the killing while hearing about it at breakfast at Mac Hall. Made me sick. I guess those guys are out of prison. Do they still live in Denton?

I have not seen them in a while. Spent what was supposed to be 3 years in the Army that turned into 23. My oldest brother probably could tell me if they are still around. They definitely got out of prison.

• Thanks 1

I am from San Antonio and for many reasons UT-San Antonio Texas State (Southwest Texas State at the time) and even UT-Austin were a little too close for me to feel anything like I was going away for college. That was one of the reasons North Texas appealed to me. It was away from what I knew (but still close to civilization -- looking at you Lubbock, Waco, etc) 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1