UNT TRANSFER PORTAL ACTIVITY

El Paso Eagle

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

This is not the current idea at most schools. TP is still in the infancy stage. Their could be opportunity with HS players, because everybody is going after transfer players. You just need to figure out how you keep them once they develop. QB is a position I would not recruit out of HS. We could be in a great position with EM and players wanting to play coming from the P5 level.GMG

P5 transfers don’t excite me. Good P5 players transfer to other P5s. The P5s we get are 3rd stringers who have almost no experience and couldn’t cut it at the P5 level. Sometimes they can contribute, but for the most part they just aren’t good college football players. For example at receiver, there’s a reason Neville (Nebraska), Bryson Jackson (TCU), and Tommy Bush (Georgia) couldn’t get on the field and the guys we signed from high school were the ones making plays..

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

P5 transfers don’t excite me. Good P5 players transfer to other P5s. The P5s we get are 3rd stringers who have almost no experience and couldn’t cut it at the P5 level. Sometimes they can contribute, but for the most part they just aren’t good college football players. For example at receiver, there’s a reason Neville (Nebraska), Bryson Jackson (TCU), and Tommy Bush (Georgia) couldn’t get on the field and the guys we signed from high school were the ones making plays..

How many HS kids never made past the 3rd string at UNT? Maybe 1/2 of the 85 roster?  A player that has had 2 years of P5 weight training and nutrition can be a better option than a kid out of HS. If you can foresee a HS kid that can contribute quickly than great, now worry how you are going to keep him after his Sophomore season.  Long term development of a player is out the window.  Tulane coaches aren’t better the HS recruits aren’t better, the transfers are much better this year.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

54 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

smu and utsa say different 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

A player that has had 2 years of P5 weight training and nutrition can be a better option than a kid out of HS.

I don't share this view.  I don't believe it's as simple as S&C and nutrition.  I'm skeptical of a kid that could never crack a two deep, and hasn't seen the field in 1 or 2 years.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

How many HS kids never made past the 3rd string at UNT? Maybe 1/2 of the 85 roster?  A player that has had 2 years of P5 weight training and nutrition can be a better option than a kid out of HS. If you can foresee a HS kid that can contribute quickly than great, now worry how you are going to keep him after his Sophomore season.  Long term development of a player is out the window.  Tulane coaches aren’t better the HS recruits aren’t better, the transfers are much better this year.

Right, but in a way when you get these P5 bottom of the depth chart transfers you are just about guaranteeing that you are getting an average at best but likely subpar player. They have proven to not be good college football players. They aren’t going to go from P5 3rd stringer to suddenly be all conference guys in the AAC.

This is the 5th offseason of the transfer portal. We have a sample size now. I’m fine getting P5 guys here and there who at least pushed for some playing time even if not as starters, but mainly I’d rather get FCS and DII all conference guys.

You aren’t going to get a KD Davis or Jyaire Shorter type player from a P5 portal because if a player of their caliber had ended up at a P5 out of high school, they wouldn’t be riding the bench at a P5. They’d be on the field there too and even if they did hit the portal they’d have P5 suitors.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Right, but in a way when you get these P5 bottom of the depth chart transfers you are just about guaranteeing that you are getting an average at best but likely subpar player. They have proven to not be good college football players. They aren’t going to go from P5 3rd stringer to suddenly be all conference guys in the AAC.

This is the 5th offseason of the transfer portal. We have a sample size now. I’m fine getting P5 guys here and there who at least pushed for some playing time even if not as starters, but mainly I’d rather get FCS and DII all conference guys.

You aren’t going to get a KD Davis or Jyaire Shorter type player from a P5 portal because if a player of their caliber had ended up at a P5 out of high school, they wouldn’t be riding the bench at a P5. They’d be on the field there too and even if they did hit the portal they’d have P5 suitors.

I’ve been saying this for years.

Marcus Trice.    

That’s the list.  He’s the only difference-making P5 transfer we’ve had since I’ve been following this program.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

smu and utsa say different 

When we pay our players as much as SMU does, then we can have a different conversation.

And for UTSA, they brought in a few P5 transfers but I don’t think anyone would earnestly say they built their roster around them. Sure seemed like they built that thing around Sincere McCormick, Frank Harris, Franklin, Cephus, Jamal Ligon, and some of the other really good HS recruits that Frank Wilson and Traylor signed.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’ve been saying this for years.

Marcus Trice.    

That’s the list.  He’s the only difference-making P5 transfer we’ve had since I’ve been following this program.

And Trice was pushing for playing time as an underclassmen. Didn’t redshirt. Pegram pushed for playing time at Purdue. Enoch Jackson appeared to have pushed for playing time at Arkansas.

Latrell Neville, Tommy Bush, Cam Feldt (transferred from Arkansas same time as Trice) all did not push for playing time at all. Completely buried at their P5s, pretty much fared the same here.

I’m fine bringing in P5s as long as there is some semblance of pushing for playing time and they aren’t being relied on to be the best players on the team. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And Trice was pushing for playing time as an underclassmen. Didn’t redshirt. Pegram pushed for playing time at Purdue. Enoch Jackson appeared to have pushed for playing time at Arkansas.

Latrell Neville, Tommy Bush, Cam Feldt (transferred from Arkansas same time as Trice) all did not push for playing time at all. Completely buried at their P5s, pretty much fared the same here.

I’m fine bringing in P5s as long as there is some semblance of pushing for playing time and they aren’t being relied on to be the best players on the team. 

I would add that Davis from TxTech was supposed to be our starting CB this year as was the CB from Purdue who opted out 2020. Bush has been injured so not sure how to evaluate him. Terrell was competent WR we got from UT but did not meet expectations (although still a good ambassador for UNT). 
Agreed that the recent lower level transfers have been pretty good.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I would add that Davis from TxTech was supposed to be our starting CB this year as was the CB from Purdue who opted out 2020. Bush has been injured so not sure how to evaluate him. Terrell was competent WR we got from UT but did not meet expectations (although still a good ambassador for UNT). 
Agreed that the recent lower level transfers have been pretty good.

Yeah I think we can get contributors from P5s. I just think that if we forego HS recruiting as our primary source of additions in favor of P5 transfers, you’re going to have a team without stars. A team of Enoch Jacksons, Latrell Nevilles, and John Davis type players is going to struggle. Add them, sure. But mix them in, not make them the primary type of signing

• Upvote 3

As the portal has taken speed and is sifting through the levels, I think that more and more of what used to be FBS level quality HS recruits end up at an FCS or even DII in their first stop. If they make it to all conference there, it is going to be more meaningful than it was 5 years ago. Getting those guys will get harder too though, as fewer HS recruits are taken across the entire FBS level.

If I was an FCS coach however, now would probably be the time to go heavier on high school kids than ever before. There is just more talent available than there used to be. You won't keep them, but you wouldn't keep transfers either and you also don't get first or second pick there anyway.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Players like KD , Shorter and the twins transfer. One of the big reasons for Seth's downfall was the twins transferring. I trust EM with evaluating talent (one of the main reason I wanted him), but didn't trust Seth's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Our luck with the portal is not the same as a lot of teams are experiencing. Could Seth evaluate talent? IMHO No! Tulane made the turn around in 1 year because of 10 transfers. It is my hope that being in the AAC will attract better options in the TP.

I would say Seth could evaluate offensive talent well aside from QB. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Players like KD , Shorter and the twins transfer. One of the big reasons for Seth's downfall was the twins transferring. I trust EM with evaluating talent (one of the main reason I wanted him), but didn't trust Seth's. 

Players like KD and Shorter just gave us 5 seasons in Green. Mose gave us 6. Brammer went P5 but only after he had given us 5 years and only had an extra year to go P5 because of the extra COVID year.

The twins are the only starters we have lost to P5s in this portal era who actually hadn’t already given us 4 seasons. We even saw KD hit the portal, get P5 interest, and come back. There just doesn’t seem to be evidence yet of this “P5 farm system” where the high school players we develop leave us after they become starters to go P5, unless there’s a coaching change or something drastic.

I will say, you bring guys in with connections and that increases our chances at hitting on P5 offers. Guys like Morris and Gilbert who have actually coached P5 guys hitting the portal, there is value there. Otherwise, I just don’t think the odds are good or the ceiling is higher than an average player when you go after these P5 third stringers.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Players like KD and Shorter just gave us 5 seasons in Green. Mose gave us 6. Brammer went P5 but only after he had given us 5 years and only had an extra year to go P5 because of the extra COVID year.

The twins are the only starters we have lost to P5s in this portal era who actually hadn’t already given us 4 seasons. We even saw KD hit the portal, get P5 interest, and come back. There just doesn’t seem to be evidence yet of this “P5 farm system” where the high school players we develop leave us after they become starters to go P5, unless there’s a coaching change or something drastic.

I will say, you bring guys in with connections and that increases our chances at hitting on P5 offers. Guys like Morris and Gilbert who have actually coached P5 guys hitting the portal, there is value there. Otherwise, I just don’t think the odds are good or the ceiling is higher than an average player when you go after these P5 third stringers.

You are mentioning players that are on the back end of pay for play. I think you could see players bail at the G5 level just to get a paycheck. It is going to be a hybrid system and unfortunately for coaches they will need to be prepared to flip the roster every season. I'm confident that EM can evaluate and develop talent. Yes I want to see the assistant coaches he hires, but really excited to see what qb he brings in.

Edited by Wag Tag

On 12/20/2022 at 11:07 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

I know we have this whole new commercial campaign, but let's not take it too far

The more I see that commercial, the less I want the giddy female narrator to be herself.

Why is part of our tier 1 research taking notes while a toddler walks on toys? Leave that kid alone.

• Downvote 1