Morris’ assistants

Cr1028

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

He's at NC State to be closer to his father. I doubt he ends up down here.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34482741/ruffin-mcneill-long-road-back-father-homecoming-plan-for

Saw a story on McNeill on ESPN.  Dealing with parents and dementia is tough, frustrating and sad.  If Ruffin doesn't get himself in shape, he's going to end up there as well.  I don't say that as a joke, but he was way, way overweight and riding around in a golf cart, so big he had to sit in the passenger seat to steer.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I really believe the reason Coach Morris moved to WSU was to get an opportunity to coach at this level. You have to believe/hope he has a list of coaches he has had hypothetical conversations with. Maybe he is waiting until after the game to announce his moves.

He coached at tech already before going to iwu

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

What makes these attractive to you?

You all may think I am crazy, but I would give Gush and interview and a strong look if he is interested.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, UNTLifer said:

You all may think I am crazy, but I would give Gush and interview and a strong look if he is interested.

Carthel because he has had a few DCs hired away which means he is doing a good job training them.

The others were based on looking at the FBS and FCS stats for teams with the most turnovers gained and sacks. I tried to keep the list to folks from the ArkLaTex regions when possible. 

With the offense we are running, I expect quick scoring which means our defense will be on the field a lot which is why I ignored yards allowed because I expect the turnovers will be key to getting our D off the field.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Ok I'll throw a few names out there.  Here's a couple of stretches (since we like the sound of hiring somebody we can't get) Van Malone CB coach at K state and Lance Guidry (Marshall) I would be thrilled to take either

Realistically

Justin Deason   Morris' initial hire at IUW as DC.. Also the DC for Carthel's Natty team

Joe Cauthen  DC experience with Houston, Buffalo (Leopold) and surprise surprise is now the DC for Colby Carthel

So if we cherry pick Carthel like La Tech did we can get Cauthen, Caid Faske (natty champion d line) and Marcus Trice 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

In the interview JD posted about Morris' Vision for his program, he says he may want to hire a couple good Texas high school coaches.  This is a strategy several Texas college coaches have used to get connections to good programs and links to other HS coaches and athletes.

Maybe lure a Duncanville, Guyer, or DeSoto type HC?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On 12/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, GrandGreen said:

A new coach is going to bring in a new staff.  

It is rare that any coach from the previous staff is retained.  Sometimes one coach is retained to create a little continuity, very very rare for more than one to be kept. 

If the new coach was a head coach I'd say that's true.  But if he was a coordinator at a P5 going to a G5, I doubt that we could pay them enough to relocate.  Granted he could contact some coaches that he's worked with before who aren't making as much as we could pay him but I haven't heard what the amount of the assistant pool is.  He can likely retain most of the staff if he pleases; possibly give some small raises this year.  Next year, it may depend on the economy.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/14/2022 at 1:08 AM, BigWillie said:

I don't think we really need to worry about the offensive assistants, we need to focus heavily on what he is going to do for a DC.

I would like to see a DC that can recruit and build a strong staff so Morris can just let him handle it.

I don’t understand the infatuation with Emmett Jones. Followed the SOC program throughout his tenure. Was hired initially to TTech as someone to recruit SWDallas County (SOC, Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Carter and others) was able to bring SOC’s top defensive player to Tech and flipped him to KU when Jones was hired @ Kansas. Don’t see OC as an option.

An outside the box name as a possible position coach is SOC’s current DC, Kyle Ward. Should be a hot commodity within the next few years. I am aware of opportunities that he has turned down. He has repeatedly stated that he is not chasing jobs. He is primarily the reason for SOC’s defensive success. Their offense has been brutal due to key injuries so they have had to rely on the defense. Has been an asst at A&M and maybe 2 others. A product of Kimball HS with strong relationships with Dallas area coaches. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

I don’t understand the infatuation with Emmett Jones. Followed the SOC program throughout his tenure. Was hired initially to TTech as someone to recruit SWDallas County (SOC, Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Carter and others) was able to bring SOC’s top defensive player to Tech and flipped him to KU when Jones was hired @ Kansas. Don’t see OC as an option.

An outside the box name as a possible position coach is SOC’s current DC, Kyle Ward. Should be a hot commodity within the next few years. I am aware of opportunities that he has turned down. He has repeatedly stated that he is not chasing jobs. He is primarily the reason for SOC’s defensive success. Their offense has been brutal due to key injuries so they have had to rely on the defense. Has been an asst at A&M and maybe 2 others. A product of Kimball HS with strong relationships with Dallas area coaches. 

image.png

simon-cowell-thats-a-no.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

In the interview JD posted about Morris' Vision for his program, he says he may want to hire a couple good Texas high school coaches.  This is a strategy several Texas college coaches have used to get connections to good programs and links to other HS coaches and athletes.

Maybe lure a Duncanville, Guyer, or DeSoto type HC?

Coach Samples is not going anywhere.   
Coach Mathis has already walked away from Desoto to jump into the college ranks before, and I don't think he liked his decision.  Had to claw his way back to the Desoto HC job.  I don't think he's leaving again, but his son is committed to us, so maybe?
Coach Heim might do it.  But I'm not sure where you put him.  He's a defensive coach by trade.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:27 PM, Cr1028 said:

Looking at the WSU staff it seems almost a lock that this guy would follow. 
https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jordan-davis/4124

It’ll be interesting to see if he tries to bring Filani back or bring in Clay McGuire.

Who do you think?

I was right on the lock. I guess we will see if either of the other two make it to Denton.

• Upvote 1