My Question for Jared Mosley

El Paso Eagle

1 hour ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

So you now want to cut other programs that lose less money for a start up program that will generate a bigger negative… 

Absolutely!   Cut a non-spectator sport to add another spectator sport.  If we have softball we should also have baseball.  Do you have issues with men's sports??  lol.

• Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Absolutely!   Cut a non-spectator sport to add another spectator sport.  If we have softball we should also have baseball.  Do you have issues with men's sports??  lol.

I have issues with us adding sports that are massive negatives in terms of net income… we have other programs, department upgrades, and staffing improvements that need to be made over creating another sport that generates a multi-million dollar L…

i would rather instead of the school/boosters making up that million(s) dollar deficit, that money would be spent on sctually getting our facilities up to AAC standards… we still don’t have a football only weight room, we still have staff in the ADs office working out of office closets lol but ya let’s keep add baseball spend 3M a year to make 200k in tickets 😂 

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

We are not financially unable to have baseball… the reason we do not have baseball now is that the AD is putting the money they get into the current programs, adding baseball you are adding multiple other sports for Title 9, increasing coaches across the board.. if people can’t even come up for a football game, why would people drive up to Denton on a Thursday night for a baseball game -_-

I will also point this out there… one of the biggest issues with UNT is also the % of the student body that commutes up to UNT. If only 40-50% of the university stays on campus/in Denton you then have to realize an even smaller % of that student body is even around to go to a game on a Thursday night (if that student isn’t working.)

Aren't there programs all over the country that straight up ignore Title9? I believe there are, at least I have read that on other platforms over the years. Not saying we should do that, but I'm still not saying money or title9 is an excuse. Take what you will from that. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I have issues with us adding sports that are massive negatives in terms of net income… we have other programs, department upgrades, and staffing improvements that need to be made over creating another sport that generates a multi-million dollar L…

i would rather instead of the school/boosters making up that million(s) dollar deficit, that money would be spent on sctually getting our facilities up to AAC standards… we still don’t have a football only weight room, we still have staff in the ADs office working out of office closets lol but ya let’s keep add baseball spend 3M a year to make 200k in tickets 😂 

Goalposts are always going to he moving. We either want to be a serious athletic department ornwe don't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Aren't there programs all over the country that straight up ignore Title9? I believe there are, at least I have read that on other platforms over the years. Not saying we should do that, but I'm still not saying money or title9 is an excuse. Take what you will from that. 

We can want UNT to ignore it, but if they aren’t now, and haven’t in the past I would assume it’s not likely to start up…

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Goalposts are always going to he moving. We either want to be a serious athletic department ornwe don't. 

It’s not moving the goalposts when the AD office has repeatedly talked about improving and expanding the AD offices. Hell Navy has a 28M dollar complex that the lobby smokes our entire complex. 

Put money and improve what we have, and then once those are successful, then you can expand into new sports 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

It’s not moving the goalposts when the AD office has repeatedly talked about improving and expanding the AD offices. Hell Navy has a 28M dollar complex that the lobby smokes our entire complex. 

Put money and improve what we have, and then once those are successful, then you can expand into new sports 

I understand what you're saying. It's just hard to play chess without all the pieces. 

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I understand what you're saying. It's just hard to play chess without all the pieces. 

Athletics is in a much better position today than it was when SL/WB got here. Continue to improve what we have, once we have on par facilities with the AAC then you can expand and put money into other projects. 

there is a reason why the AAC was so much higher rated as a conference than CUSA.. we went from having great facilities but now we are middle of the road at best in some facilities.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ADLER said:

We are a huge Division 1 sports playing university. We should strive to make our most visible sports facilities at least on par with the Big XII institutions.

We don’t need to be like OU or UT… but for us to be losing say 2-3M a year on baseball let’s invest in what we actually need now to be on par with our peers in the AAC… here is Navy from 2 days ago…look at the differences

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

We are a huge Division 1 sports playing university. We should strive to make our most visible sports facilities at least on par with the Big XII institutions.

Agreed. And for me that starts with the Athletic Center and new basketball arena. If Mosley gets those two pieces done, I’ll be ecstatic about where this program is headed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

We don’t need to be like OU or UT… but for us to be losing say 2-3M a year on baseball let’s invest in what we actually need now to be on par with our peers in the AAC… here is Navy from 2 days ago…look at the differences

Those are all cute ideas for after we get our necessary infrastructure built. Until then, we need to look at what the big schools that are elevating out of the AAC (Cincy, UCF, and Houston) and what current teams that will be competing with us for dominance (Memphis, UTSA) have. After that's complete we can jack with all the Martha Stewart amenities that athletic department employees would like to have.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ADLER said:

Please explain how this is not the exact same "wait and see approach" that kept Fouts from being replaced for 60 years and eventually resulted in us being banished to 1AA purgatory. This is appropriately called the "Al Hurley approach". We really need our student side to be about 30 rows taller. It's going to be a huge black eye for the university if it's not completed by the 2027 game hosting Texas Tech. We need the necessary infrastructure to be able to host our peers.

We're not a tiny university any more. We shouldn't be thinking of ourselves as one or projecting ourselves as one. Can you name any other college in the nation who's stadium capacity is 50% lower than it's student enrollment? Anyone? I'll hang up and listen.

The reason we were banished to 1AA is we had no money. It was either the Southland or nothing. We now are a 40,000 student university with an athletic fee which we only recently established. [ attendance numbers are worse if we are at 60,000] However our 30,000 seat football stadium has never sold out and only averages 20,000. of which about half are students. We have a basketball venue that seats 10,000 with average attendance of only 4,000, and it looks like only about 1,000 or so students attend. I am not saying don't expand the stadium, but we should create a need first. Regarding Texas Tech, athletic contracts between schools are broken all the time, and I believe the Red Raiders will come to Denton when their horse is ridden onto the field.

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Those are all cute ideas for after we get our necessary infrastructure built. Until then, we need to look at what the big schools that are elevating out of the AAC (Cincy, UCF, and Houston) and what current teams that will be competing with us for dominance (Memphis, UTSA) have. After that's complete we can jack with all the Martha Stewart amenities that athletic department employees would like to have.

Idk what infrastructure was presented was a cute idea, but this just shows what kind of facilities we are going up against and another reason that we need to invest large amounts of money into into before a cash burn pill of money for baseball

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Navy probably gets federal dollars so they have no constraints.  They could done that with build back America money 😉 

Navy, Army, Air Force are schools we have battled against in recruiting battles and seeing AD offices like this draws players.. not because it looks nice but because they see the history and what those colleges have produced after football… UNT has a slide show on a TV that freezes 75% of the time in the lobby of the AD center lol… 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

Idk what infrastructure was presented was a cute idea, but this just shows what kind of facilities we are going up against and another reason that we need to invest large amounts of money into into before a cash burn pill of money for baseball

Navy, Army, Air Force are schools we have battled against in recruiting battles and seeing AD offices like this draws players.. not because it looks nice but because they see the history and what those colleges have produced after football… UNT has a slide show on a TV that freezes 75% of the time in the lobby of the AD center lol… 

Well if they can't do something as simple as call IT then we have bigger problems lol...

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

The reason we were banished to 1AA is we had no money. It was either the Southland or nothing. We now are a 40,000 student university with an athletic fee which we only recently established. [ attendance numbers are worse if we are at 60,000] However our 30,000 seat football stadium has never sold out and only averages 20,000. of which about half are students. We have a basketball venue that seats 10,000 with average attendance of only 4,000, and it looks like only about 1,000 or so students attend. I am not saying don't expand the stadium, but we should create a need first. Regarding Texas Tech, athletic contracts between schools are broken all the time, and I believe the Red Raiders will come to Denton when their horse is ridden onto the field.

Not true.

• Lovely Take 1

His priorities should be....

1. Getting more donors and increasing the donations from our current donors. 

2. Continuing improvement of our current facilities and moving forward with new facilities when the resources are there.

3. Increasing attendance to football and basketball. Students and alum need to show up in much higher quantities. One of the ways to do this is by continuing to improve game day experience. 

If he can continue the improvement to these things like Wren did (attendance not so much) , then I will consider it a successful hire. A Baseball program would put this guy in the HOF for me.

I'm so down on our students/fan base though that I'd be shocked if any of them happen.  Our fans are fair weather at best. Even this board who a lot consider as "die hard" are or were bailing because of .500 coach, that's not die hard.  And this is the best we got?  I hope for the best for this school but don't expect much.

Edited by Green Crazy