I am starting to have strong feelings towards Emmett

Jonnyeagle

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

He went to UNT(atleast thats what his wiki states) and the more i hear it sounds like he will probably be the new HC. Im not a huge fan of it but i would bet a lot on it right now with how much the media keeps talking about how its sounds like a dream job for him

This would be a disaster hire.

He’s fools gold. He’s the equivalent of that one guy on every basketball staff who is hired for his recruiting connections alone, and who switches jobs every other year to stay one step ahead of the law.

Although there is no law anymore…

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

This would be a disaster hire.

He’s fools gold. He’s the equivalent of that one guy on every basketball staff who is hired for his recruiting connections alone, and who switches jobs every other year to stay one step ahead of the law.

Although there is no law anymore…

You arent wrong i feel. Just seems to be the most popular option im seeing

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

You arent wrong i feel. Just seems to be the most popular option im seeing

From where? To me he’s one of the riskier candidates out there. Done nothing close to FBS head coach in scope of responsibilities yet. Might end up as a home run or complete crap out.

Hard for me to see UNT can Littrell, have the resources to make a much more qualified, splashier hire, and move up the food chain to the AAC with a hire like this.

• Upvote 2

On 12/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

He's only the WR coach & Pass-game coordinator at Tech.     
Maybe there's a way NT could pay him & give him a promotion to full-time OC.  He's one of us, as an Alum!  He might go for it.

EDIT:   He makes $450k now at Tech.   Offer him $550k and full-time OC!

I wouldn’t hire him as our OC much less as HC. Why the hell are North Texas alumni the biggest enemy of North Texas’ success?? He has ZERO experience as an OC at the college level almost all his college coaching experience is at Tech,where he played.  Never worked at a G5 or FCS.
(Ok would maybe - and only barely maybe - consider him for OC if under an experienced offensive-minded HC or as a co-OC. But only in that specific circumstance. And still probably not.) 

Why do you think that we should settle for hiring some P5 position coach? Please explain. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I wouldn’t hire him as our OC much less as HC. Why the hell are North Texas alumni the biggest enemy of North Texas’ success?? He has ZERO experience as an OC at the college level almost all his college coaching experience is at Tech,where he played.  Never worked at a G5 or FCS.
(Ok would maybe - and only barely maybe - consider him for OC if under an experienced offensive-minded HC or as a co-OC. But only in that specific circumstance. And still probably not.) 

Why do you think that we should settle for hiring some P5 position coach? Please explain. 

To clarify, I’m not advocating for him to be HC.  He’s already a “pass game coordinator“.  The next step would be to own the whole offense, right?   Jones is thought of by many coaches as a bright young mind, and he’s very personable as well.  He’d have to get a full OC opportunity at some point.   I recommended somewhere, in these myriad of Coach-search threads, that a great scenario would be a Fuente-HC/Jones-OC/Carthel-DC setup.   Seems like something you would be on board with based on your post?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

He went to UNT(atleast thats what his wiki states) and the more i hear it sounds like he will probably be the new HC. Im not a huge fan of it but i would bet a lot on it right now with how much the media keeps talking about how its sounds like a dream job for him

What media?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

To clarify, I’m not advocating for him to be HC.  He’s already a “pass game coordinator“.  The next step would be to own the whole offense, right?   Jones is thought of by many coaches as a bright young mind, and he’s very personable as well.  He’d have to get a full OC opportunity at some point.   I recommended somewhere, in these myriad of Coach-search threads, that a great scenario would be a Fuente-HC/Jones-OC/Carthel-DC setup.   Seems like something you would be on board with based on your post?

JD tweeted positively about Jones earlier today.  Not  sure if there’s anything to it, or if he’s just spreading positive press about UNT.  The DCTF guys were pretty high on him for us.  I’m not 100% why, though. He may be a stud, I just don’t know enough about him to know why. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Listen to podcasts or read stories from different outlets, like DCTF for example, and you’ll hear his name brought up as a top option

I think it is super important when reading/listening to these reports to be aware of whether they are speaking about their ideal HC, which is what this podcast is doing, vs. what they think they are hearing....insight into what our admins might do.

This episode on Republic of Texas football makes zero claims about who they think it will be.  They speak strictly about who they think would be a good fit.

@UNTLifer responded, because your above post makes it sound like they had inside information.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think it is super important when reading/listening to these reports to be aware of whether they are speaking about their ideal HC, which is what this podcast is doing, vs. what they think they are hearing....insight into what our admins might do.

This episode on Republic of Texas football makes zero claims about who they think it will be.  They speak strictly about who they think would be a good fit.

@UNTLifer responded, because your above post makes it sound like they had inside information.

Lol never claimed that they have inside info nor was that my intention. Just saying its a name im hearing more often than most which is surprising to me and the amount ive times ive seen him listed makes me think he must be getting some kind of interest from UNT. His connection to UNT and the area makes me think that there is atleast some mutual interest

Links:

https://footballscoop.com/.amp/news/north-texas-football-candidates-justin-fuente

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/12/04/potential-head-coaching-targets-for-north-texas-include-garrett-riley-graham-harrell?ref=related_thumb

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/where-does-unt-go-from-here-a-look-at-who-could-be-a-target-in/article_91b611cd-f36f-5959-9e4f-b56e955bbf20.html

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/12/06/the-rof-north-texas-head-coach-seth-littrell-will-not-return-for-another-season?ref=article_preview_img

These are just some of the links ive been going through

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sure, I know you weren’t. Mostly was adding to it. And I am not sure I would be ok with him as OC. Maybe under Fuentes or someone similar. But really only maybe. Ideally, I would prefer the HC and both coordinators (esp DC) to have college experience at their position. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Listen to podcasts or read stories from different outlets, like DCTF for example, and you’ll hear his name brought up as a top option

people include these P5 position coaches because they think it’s as good as little old UNT can get

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Sure, I know you weren’t. Mostly was adding to it. And I am not sure I would be ok with him as OC. Maybe under Fuentes or someone similar. But really only maybe. Ideally, I would prefer the HC and both coordinators (esp DC) to have college experience at their position. 

people include these P5 position coaches because they think it’s as good as little old UNT can get

Agree! Sadly the real draw is a connection to south Dallas. It’s time we break through color barriers. Smith is great position coach, but he’s not oc or HC ready. I’m still backing Carthel and behind him van Malone but definitely not FU

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Its my bad. Honestly just ready for this search to be over

Same.  I assumed there would be more portal movement from our guys. I’m glad they’re waiting to meet the new coach before making a decision. Hope the majority stick around. Would love to see this squad finish their collegiate careers at UNT. 

• Upvote 1