Aune better not see the field again this season

peanuts104

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it felt like the coaches just kept doing the same running play over and over? Hand off and run it up the middle. No screen pass or bubble? Or something else they could try instead of doing the same thing all game. 

Those plays require a QB who understands a playbook not written in crayon.

Either hand off and rundown the middle or toss a long pass into coverage and pray. That's all we got outside that one tightend play

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

45 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I did not state Aune was a good QB, I stated it was one of his better games.  So I have no idea what season team stats have to do with the comment (it was one of his better games).

Let me break it down to you in math.

Season Avg 54.1 % > 48.4 % vs UTSA

That is his lowest completion percentage this year.   He missed more wide open receivers for big plays than he hit.  He also didn't take good opportunities to scramble for first downs.   Also he threw in an INT that took points off the field.   Maybe without the interception I could see how you believe it was one of his better games even if they did lose the game. (That is omitting and just giving him the lucky credit of UTSA dropping two balls that should have been intercepted).  

And QBR his rating was 60 for this game only his QBR of 29 vs Memphis this season was worse.  The only metric that was good was yardage.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it felt like the coaches just kept doing the same running play over and over? Hand off and run it up the middle. No screen pass or bubble? Or something else they could try instead of doing the same thing all game. 

It was as if our coaches were defiantly saying, “We are North Texas and we will run the ball down your throats whether you like it or not”. 

Obviously they had not prepared for the possibility UTSA would smother our running game. 

This is all on the coaches. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Those plays require a QB who understands a playbook not written in crayon.

Either hand off and rundown the middle or toss a long pass into coverage and pray. That's all we got outside that one tightend play

Oh Aune probably knows the playbook just as well as any coach on staff, he just can’t make the throws or tuck it and run. He is becoming a liability. This offense is limited tremendously by his inaccuracy and lack of mobility. Our offense would be scary good with a Riley Dodge type quarterback running it. A durable version of Riley would be required of course. I’m hoping Stone or Ruder could be that guy. If we somehow were able to get Lewis and he played to his potential you could book your AAC champ game tickets for next year already.

Edited by Cr1028

If I am SL, I would tell the qbs we don't have starting qb for our next game.  Give ever qb a good look and how they complete passes.  Everyone now will stack the box.  We will need to complete 60 plus % to win the remaining games. The other teams have to respect our passing and not how we hand the ball off.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

If I am SL, I would tell the qbs we don't have starting qb for our next game.  Give ever qb a good look and how they complete passes.  Everyone now will stack the box.  We will need to complete 60 plus % to win the remaining games. The other teams have to respect our passing and not how we hand the ball off.

Yup. Less than ideal, but we can't get to a conference championship if WKU loads the box like UTSA did, and that is exactly what WKU did against UAB. I don't think WKU can contain the run as well as UTSA did, but they certainly did a good job against UAB. Aune can't win us the game through the air. The UNLV, SMU, Memphis, and UTSA games have proven that. I think we have to make a switch.

That said, SL isn't pulling Aune for WKU. If we lose that game, I think SL pulls him. Not playing for a championship at that point and a mediocre bowl appearance doesn't save your job.

We also saw this exact same thing last year, except Ruder was worse than Aune has been this year. Seth stuck with Ruder for two games too long. IMO, we've stuck with Aune at least 3 games too long. Aune has proven he can't get it done.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

No NT lost because they were outplayed.  

I am curious what are you going to do when Aune starts the next game which he will.  You stated he better not, you must have some dire consequences in mind. 

Oh no, you caught me, my title was a bit dramatic. Not an argument for why he should start.

• Haha 2