OSU Day wants $13m

Wag Tag

Day at Ohio State says he needs $13m to be competitive in the NIL market. A qb will cost $2m and a offensive tackle and edge rusher would be $1m.

NIL money is the number 1 attraction on where kids will play and this will only get bigger now that agents are getting involved. Conference , school and coach are way down the list for a commitment.

The team with the most NIL money, in our conference is going to put the best talent on the field. To me, it looks like it will be SMU. No ,such thing as a level playing field.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

You know, if the kids cnn make this much money, do they really need scholarships anymore. They most certainly do not need to ask me to donate to the scholarship fund anymore. I can use that money for more important purposes now. 

Before, I felt I was helping a kid get an education in return for a good, solid effort in whatever sport.  They don’t need me or my money anymore. 

I think 🤔 will keep my money and use it for vacations instead. 

Edited by MeanGreen_MBA
  • Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You know, if the kids cnn make this much money, do they really need scholarships anymore. They most certainly do not need to ask me to donate to the scholarship fund anymore. I can use that money for more important purposes now. 

Before, I felt I was helping a kid get an education in return for a good, solid effort in whatever sport.  They don’t need me or my money anymore. 

I'm sure Wren will address this, but I imagine the official position will be to continue giving to the MGSF.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess the NCAA rather completely ruin sports than oppose the current interpretation of the courts rulings.

Make it against the rules punishable by immediately ineligibility for accepting any NIL funds and fight it out in the courts.  

The SEC will pull out of the NCAA and form their own league and governing body.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The SEC will pull out of the NCAA and form their own league and governing body.

I don't think so.

1.  Several in the SEC are less than thrilled with the NIL developments.  It's far from a consensus in the SEC.

2.  Losing OOC opponents and bowl games would certainly hurt every SEC school.  That would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If you were donating to Texas or Ohio State then I could understand the thought process.  Once UNT has players signing any 4+ figure NIL deals then maybe we can consider that, but as far as I know we basically have no significant NIL program going on outside of maybe $50-100 to post a tweet or something.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't think so.

1.  Several in the SEC are less than thrilled with the NIL developments.  It's far from a consensus in the SEC.

2.  Losing OOC opponents and bowl games would certainly hurt every SEC school.  That would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

The big bucks are in the playoffs, you could still have bowl associations. Salary cap has been mentioned, but I don't know how you control it, because the money is coming from outside sources. At the pro level you can't stop a player signing with NIKE.

15 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

The team with the most NIL money, in our conference is going to put the best talent on the field. To me, it looks like it will be SMU. No ,such thing as a level playing field.

smu has been buying players and coaches for years so I don’t really see NIL changing the landscape much there.  The Mustangs will occasionally have a flash in the pan season just as always, but they are still JUST smu and that will never change.  When the NIL money dust eventually settles after two or three seasons  UNT will still find itself grinding out wins and somehow staying in the hunt . The scholarship system couldn’t buy up ALL of the talent in the past and good coaches found a way to compete. That will continue.  Money has been influencing the game forever, it’s just shifting around now.  The majority of college student athletes will NEVER get to the next level and they know that, also, just as always. So I think we will still see some fantastic competitors at UNT because of individual’s personal desire and drive in spite of NIL. And yes, UNT will still  manage to dump on smu now and then.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Not strictly NIL related, but watching some of the Women's College World Series I started thinking about the college experience of the modern student-athlete and how it is so much different than it was in the past - even 10 years ago let alone 20 or 30.   During the games, the announcers would spend time introducing or highlighting individual players and it seemed like most of them (if they were not freshman) were on their third university.  Bouncing around not following an education but a softball (or other sports) "career."  Do they ever feel a sense of place or belonging related to the university or is it just to their teammates?  I get the, "I earned my degree and want to attend grad school and have a year of eligibility left" thing (sort of), but I doubt the decision on where to attend grad school is driven in any way by academics.  I guess I'm a traditionalist.  For me, going away to attend college (the same one) for four years was a great experience and can't really grasp how different that would have been if I was on a different campus every year.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, cogido said:

smu has been buying players and coaches for years so I don’t really see NIL changing the landscape much there.  The Mustangs will occasionally have a flash in the pan season just as always, but they are still JUST smu and that will never change.  When the NIL money dust eventually settles after two or three seasons  UNT will still find itself grinding out wins and somehow staying in the hunt . The scholarship system couldn’t buy up ALL of the talent in the past and good coaches found a way to compete. That will continue.  Money has been influencing the game forever, it’s just shifting around now.  The majority of college student athletes will NEVER get to the next level and they know that, also, just as always. So I think we will still see some fantastic competitors at UNT because of individual’s personal desire and drive in spite of NIL. And yes, UNT will still  manage to dump on smu now and then.

They are 25-10 the last 3 years. Top25 rankings. National attention and exposure paired with good recruiting classes and a transfer destination. The train doesn't appear to be slowing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, keith said:

Not strictly NIL related, but watching some of the Women's College World Series I started thinking about the college experience of the modern student-athlete and how it is so much different than it was in the past - even 10 years ago let alone 20 or 30.   During the games, the announcers would spend time introducing or highlighting individual players and it seemed like most of them (if they were not freshman) were on their third university.  Bouncing around not following an education but a softball (or other sports) "career."  Do they ever feel a sense of place or belonging related to the university or is it just to their teammates?  I get the, "I earned my degree and want to attend grad school and have a year of eligibility left" thing (sort of), but I doubt the decision on where to attend grad school is driven in any way by academics.  I guess I'm a traditionalist.  For me, going away to attend college (the same one) for four years was a great experience and can't really grasp how different that would have been if I was on a different campus every year.  

I think college sports have been ruined just like so many other American traditions. The NIL is just one reason I won’t be contributing any longer to the MGSF  

When I fill up at the gas pump I am so thankful I did not renew our season tickets. When I think of what certain individuals are making for their dismal performance and without any accountability as well it made it very easy, painless to walk away after 50+ years. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The NCAA can't really do anything about this as the Supreme Court made it the law that the players can make money from their NIL. Once they let that horse outta the barn, it is not stopping and turning back anytime soon for the bigger $$$ schools.

What needs to be looked at it the schools working together with those making the offers and the recruiting of players BEFORE the declare for the Portal

• Upvote 1