Billboard Coverage

MeanGreen2019

So SMU's total fall enrollment in 2020 was 12,373 vs our 40,796 and they had more fans in the stands than we did. In addition they have to compete with the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and Rangers for the Dallas sports dollars. If we only win one game before I die I hope its against the mustangs, but given the large number of graduates we have in the metroplex they are doing a better job than we are both on and off the field. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

Talking attendance smack when you have 6x as many students and alumni and you still had 16k-20k in all your 2019 games except when Houston fans drove up?  You think this makes you look better? 

As if resorting to attendance smack wasn't embarrassing enough.  Come on man!  Is band and cheerleader smack next or campus architecture?  Maybe landscaping?

Nod Yes GIF by Captain Obvious

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, wardly said:

So SMU's total fall enrollment in 2020 was 12,373 vs our 40,796 and they had more fans in the stands than we did. In addition they have to compete with the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and Rangers for the Dallas sports dollars. If we only win one game before I die I hope its against the mustangs, but given the large number of graduates we have in the metroplex they are doing a better job than we are both on and off the field. 

Look you may be joking, but SMU has always announced a higher number in attendance  than are actually sitting in the stands. I’ve been to games there where we had more fans than they did.

• Ray 1

On 8/22/2021 at 10:04 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

083B411D-3722-4D33-A053-CD7BE80983B6.jpeg

What is stopping North Texas from doing the same thing. It would spice up the rivalry at least…..if they really had some stones they would have put Tre $iggers up on that billboard 😅

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, wardly said:

They proclaim to be Dallas's team, yet as the home team against NT they may outnumber NT fans by a couple of thousand.

A lot more telling is the few hundred that actually follow them to Denton.  

Yes, NT has a much greater student population to draw from, however that seldom offsets name recognition and a better conference affiliation.  

That adding to a seemingly unending amount of money to spend on athletics, makes SMU a formidable opponent for any G5.  They have the budget and don't keep poor coaches around long. 

I think it is a good series that benefits both schools.  

• Upvote 2

A huge public school trying to talk smack about attendance to a small private school is beyond a joke. You guys need to just stop.

And if you think UNT has only been announcing butts in the seats instead of a tickets distributed number, I’ve got some ocean-front property in North Denton I’d like to sell you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

What is stopping North Texas from doing the same thing. It would spice up the rivalry at least…..if they really had some stones they would have put Tre $iggers up on that billboard 😅

9 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

How do I contribute to the fund to get Wren Baker to put a North Texas Billboard on Mockingbird?  

The point of this forum are these quotes exactly. I have no idea what Billboards cost, but why can’t we (the fans/alumni) do something similar?

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Look you may be joking, but SMU has always announced a higher number in attendance  than are actually sitting in the stands. I’ve been to games there where we had more fans than they did.

I can't put my finger on the article but in memory serves[hey, I am 78] UNT was recently criticized for inflating attendance figures. Also considering the ten's of thousands of graduates we have in the metroplex its not surprising that we have more cheeks in the seats at FORD stadium. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

A huge public school trying to talk smack about attendance to a small private school is beyond a joke. You guys need to just stop.

And if you think UNT has only been announcing butts in the seats instead of a tickets distributed number, I’ve got some ocean-front property in North Denton I’d like to sell you.

Most universities do not announce tickets distributed.  What they do announce is an usually substantially higher estimate of attendances.  Suposefully tickets distributed inclusive of an estimate of students attending.  

They also announce one number and officially report another.  Both numbers are probably higher than actual attendance, but the official number is usually significantly lower. 

Marketing 101, the objective matters not the validity.  

My guess, some designated AD employees surveys the crowd and does a mental calculation based on previous announced attendance.   This school usually reports an average of X, this crowd compared to that average is slightly bigger, so my estimate is X plus 1000.

No more of that small private school excuse, SMU has proclaimed itself Dallas' Team.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I can't put my finger on the article but in memory serves[hey, I am 78] UNT was recently criticized for inflating attendance figures. Also considering the ten's of thousands of graduates we have in the metroplex its not surprising that we have more cheeks in the seats at FORD stadium. 

The only article like that I have read, compared most D1 schools actual versus reported attendance.  The problem I don't know how they got their actual numbers. 

Again you are greatly undervaluing SMU's advantages.   Number one, a better conference thus better schedules.  Number two, a much bigger metropolitan area to draw from.  Number three, a much better name identity forged when NT was not even a D1 school.  Number four, substantially greater financial backing. 

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The only article like that I have read, compared most D1 schools actual versus reported attendance.  The problem I don't know how they got their actual numbers. 

Again you are greatly undervaluing SMU's advantages.   Number one, a better conference thus better schedules.  Number two, a much bigger metropolitan area to draw from.  Number three, a much better name identity forged when NT was not even a D1 school.  Number four, substantially greater financial backing. 

I am not discounting those advantages, just trying to put them in perspective. I can understand their inability to draw football fans more easily than ours. With the number of UNT graduates in the metroplex you would think we could sell out our stadium at least once.