About our next opponent: Army

NorthTexan95

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/349/army-black-knights

They are 8-2 though their schedule isn't exactly a power house.  The got blasted by Ohio St and lost a close one to Tulane.  The beat UTEP 35-21 which was a lot like our game with UTEP:  close at the half and then pull away. The difference is UTEP scored a late TD to make it look better.  They pounded Rice 49-12 who we have not played yet.  

Just looking at their schedule I'm definitely not scared by them.  If we don't bring our A game they could run us out of the building but I'd like to think we're better prepared for them this season.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

Army is not great at passing, but none of the Service Academies are. However, they can run the football. We need to put 8 in the box and play them man to man. Defensively, I think they will slow our run game down, but I don't think they can play with our receivers. I think this game is won or lost on the arm of Mason Fine. If our defense can slow their run game down, we can win. If not, they will control the clock and win. Reffett was the one who came up with the defensive plan to stop them last October in West Point. I think he does it again and Mean Green win 31-28.

• Confused 1

So, are they basically the same team, same offense, and basically the same personnel that we played twice last year?

Because we are not the same. We have a more dangerous QB and a different group of WR's than when we played them in the bowl game. 

However, we damn sure better be over our FAU "not-stopping-the-run" debacle.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

So, are they basically the same team, same offense, and basically the same personnel that we played twice last year?

Because we are not the same. We have a more dangerous QB and group of WR's than when we played them in the bowl game. 

However, we damn sure better be over our FAU not-stopping-the-run debacle.

They are basically the same. They have the same QB that they had last year and he can still run the football. They are just more mature now so definitely better. Because of our WRs is why I think we can win. You are right, they had better be over their run defense performance they had against FAU or it will make for a long day. I think they will because FAU was a threat to throw. Army has thrown, but they rarely do it because they are not that good at it. 

Army runs their offense to perfection.  The teams they have beaten however, have been...not good.   

Their wins are against:

• 3-7 Fordham (FCS)
  • 4-6 Buffalo 
  • 0-10 UTEP 
  • 1-9 Rice
  • 3-7 Eastern Mich
  • 5-5 Temple
  • 4-6 Air Force
  • 4-6 Duke (P5)

So they have beaten no one with a winning record yet, though Temple is 5-5 and beating any P5 is always a positive.   We have wins against 3 teams with a winning record (USM, UAB, UTSA).  

Make no mistake about it if we don't prepare correctly Army is going to come in here and kick the tail feathers off of us.   However one of their biggest strengths is they run an offense straight from the roaring '20s and it is so alien that it is very difficult for modern players and coaches to comprehend and defend.  

We are going to see it for a third time in 13 months.  I trust our defensive coaches and players to play it correctly.  I expect it to be a close game but one we should win.

We have struggled against any kind of run that involves the QB.

I am not sure I agree with the above quote. We have struggled tackling qbs in an attempt to sack them when they were scrambling when pressure was on. We have not faced many qb's that are run based straight out of their sets under center. We will see! You probably will not be able to stop Bradshaw, but we may be able to limit the damage by having one guy keying on him forcing him to pitch  more times than not. This way we can make him a secondary option rather than the primary. I believe we will win and can limit his damage. I believe in the Green! Go get em boys!

GMG

I seem to remember years ago when Notre Dame beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl, their game plan to stop Texas' wishbone was to take away the pitch man and make the QB run with the ball as much as possible and to hit him hard and with several people. The thinking was that the QB is probably the least likely to take the beating that the running backs do and by the third quarter or so, he's worn down and may force a pitch in order to not take a hit. Don't know if that would work today or with Army, but I might take that chance. That said, I'm not a professional coach. just a spectator who's watched football since 1969.

The opportunity here is a good one for us. We need national attention. Beating an Army team with top 25 votes in a packed Apogee would do that. Any mention of a win in this game in the national media will be followed by: "and the Mean Green now 8-3 on the season....Seth Littrell getting it done in Denton," etc.

Baby steps but those are the things that start getting the attention of the casual fan.

And yes Army is 8-2 but 2-2 on the road. 

This is the best opponent we've had here since the opener vs Kevin Sumlin's Houston Cougars and we have a real shot at the W. 

A win in this game has an impact on our national image. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

If, IF we were to beat Army, a team that has garnered a top 25 vote this week, does anyone thin we could get a top 25 vote next week ?

Win.

GO MEAN GREEN

No our wins have been too tight but if we knock off Army with authority, same with Rice and FAU we might.