DRC: UNT Wednesday practice notes

Brett Vito

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Could it be that the OL is coming together? Littrell sounded cautiously optimistic

I heard that too.  Fingers crossed!

Also - good to hear that Michael Lawrence is in the mix.  Met his parents at Tony's tailgate and they have a really nice family.

Lastly - Really encouraged to hear that Sid Moore is coming on.  I thought he was one of the highest rated DL recruits we signed.  He has sort of gone under the radar the past couple of years.  If he can get back in the mix it would give us a lot more quality depth.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Also - good to hear that Michael Lawrence is in the mix.  Met his parents at Tony's tailgate and they have a really nice family.

Lastly - Really encouraged to hear that Sid Moore is coming on.  I thought he was one of the highest rated DL recruits we signed.  He has sort of gone under the radar the past couple of years.  If he can get back in the mix it would give us a lot more quality depth.

Yes yes yes......but did they taste Tony's Balls?

13 hours ago, Harry said:

I had honestly forgotten about him, but he looked good yesterday!  He was playing with second team, and was in the backfield often.  Hopefully he clicks in Reffett's system.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

The program needs to really promote our seniors with NFL draft potential this year because the drought HAS to end.  While I assume it's a genuine and honest assessment, but still glad to see Littrell make specific mention of McClain and Wilson

This.  It's not even close to the level of others schools. Ok, some may say we haven't had the talent and this and that, but I see other schools promote guys who barely played and they get looks.

Even if we dismiss the last two years, guys like Akunne and Akunne could have been promoted better.  I saw a nice hype video for Zac Orr, and whoever put it together did a nice job, but most schools are doing that kind of thing for almost all the seniors that have aspirations of going pro. 

I know some will say if you are NFL material, they will find you...and that may be true, but promotion definetly helps.  There's guys who barely played that are getting better looks that our guys.

Pro Day has to improve.  It is trash.

I think the best shot is Nate Brooks next year. He will be a 4 year starter that plays at a high level and he is 6'1 corner.  He will definetly get some looks.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

I think the best shot is Nate Brooks next year. He will be a 4 year starter that plays at a high level and he is 6'1 corner.  He will definetly get some looks.  

I think you are correct about Brooks having a good shot, but there is a guy across the hash marks that might have a chance this year with a good senior campaign. Erik Jenkins has some talent. 

I also hope they promote Kishan like crazy. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

The program needs to really promote our seniors with NFL draft potential this year because the drought HAS to end.  While I assume it's a genuine and honest assessment, but still glad to see Littrell make specific mention of McClain and Wilson

agreed, UNT needs to be finding ways to promote them... 

Would love to see the staff reach out to Orr/Robertson/Dunbar, etc and have them retweet a UNT made highlight clip of them.. 

4 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

This.  It's not even close to the level of others schools. Ok, some may say we haven't had the talent and this and that, but I see other schools promote guys who barely played and they get looks.

Even if we dismiss the last two years, guys like Akunne and Akunne could have been promoted better.  I saw a nice hype video for Zac Orr, and whoever put it together did a nice job, but most schools are doing that kind of thing for almost all the seniors that have aspirations of going pro. 

I know some will say if you are NFL material, they will find you...and that may be true, but promotion definetly helps.  There's guys who barely played that are getting better looks that our guys.

Pro Day has to improve.  It is trash.

Brooks should get a look, just got to help he can develop more and be a good press man CB.

57 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I think you are correct about Brooks having a good shot, but there is a guy across the hash marks that might have a chance this year with a good senior campaign. Erik Jenkins has some talent. 

If Jenks can improve on last year and stay healthy, I think he could have a HUGE season... He is an aggressive CB that goes for the ball.. Was near the top in the nation in Pick 6s... Will be interesting to watch him this year if this front 6 can get pressure. 

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I like Jenkins a lot, but the NFL is losing their minds over any corner that is 6 foot or taller.  Even if his footwork is terrible, they are willing to work with them if they are tall.  Jamal Marshall was in Seahawks camp last year cause he was 6'3...

Jenks will get a look, but if we are talking about drafted, then he has to have a HUGE year with his height and weight.

I think Jenks best shot is free agent.  I follow Kishawn, but unfortunately I think it will be the same case for him too.  He has the size, but the position he plays is saftey and that spot is very limited and a lot of those spots go to P5 safeties as far as the draft.  G5 corners have a lot more success in the draft and free agency.

Kishawn is a stud no doubt, but I don't think he is better than Trice, and Trice didn't get drafted.  He's bigger and faster than Trice though...but Trice was on almost every play or very close to it, and I have to assume that is an intangible that they are looking for at safety.  Trice was rarely caught in no man's land and had a strong football IQ.

This will be Kishawn 2nd year in this defense though, so I'm expecting more game changing plays like Trice had.

13 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I like Jenkins a lot, but the NFL is losing their minds over any corner that is 6 foot or taller.  Even if his footwork is terrible, they are willing to work with them if they are tall.  Jamal Marshall was in Seahawks camp last year cause he was 6'3...

Jenks will get a look, but if we are talking about drafted, then he has to have a HUGE year with his height and weight.

I think Jenks best shot is free agent.  I follow Kishawn, but unfortunately I think it will be the same case for him too.  He has the size, but the position he plays is saftey and that spot is very limited and a lot of those spots go to P5 safeties as far as the draft.  G5 corners have a lot more success in the draft and free agency.

Kishawn is a stud no doubt, but I don't think he is better than Trice, and Trice didn't get drafted.  He's bigger and faster than Trice though...but Trice was on almost every play or very close to it, and I have to assume that is an intangible that they are looking for at safety.  Trice was rarely caught in no man's land and had a strong football IQ.

This will be Kishawn 2nd year in this defense though, so I'm expecting more game changing plays like Trice had.

Xavier Woods was drafted in the 4th round.  It can happen.  I bet Kishawn replaces him on the all-conference list this year.  He may not go in the 4th round, but if he has a big enough year, he can get drafted.

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Xavier Woods was drafted in the 4th round.  It can happen.  I bet Kishawn replaces him on the all-conference list this year.  He may not go in the 4th round, but if he has a big enough year, he can get drafted.

It can happen, but Woods didn't just appear out of nowhere.  La Tech has a pretty good run with the NFL lately and Woods was 1st team CUSA 3 years.  No one is saying it's impossible.

Kishawn is on the Thorpe list so that's a good start.  Just my opinion, but he's gonna need that combine invite and perform really well to get a solid shot at getting drafted.  

I hope the right connections are being made to put him out there like that.  It's not Kishawns abilities that I don't have trust in.  It's his situation.

And with all that Woods and La Tech did, he went 6th round.

Edited by GOMG2013