Why Not a Team Like Virginia?

We need a P5 playing at Apogee sooner then Texas Tech in 2027 (a decade from now). North Texas should dump Rhode Island in 2021, and sign a lower level P5 program like Virginia to play at North Texas in 2021 and then UNT could play the return game in 2022. Virginia was 2-10 last season. That is an example of a series North Texas should win against a P5 program. Is something like this on the horizon, or is Baker done reworking our schedule?

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

is Baker done reworking our schedule?

I don't see any reason at all to believe this is true.

As has been noted in a lot of other places, scheduling is never as simple as "We should just play school X" and it's done. Based on what was said at the various Caravan events, our schedule continues to evolve. In 12 months, we now have two teams RV said would simply never again play in Denton. Baker doesn't appear to be one to stop that kind of work and just coast after barely a year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

We need a P5 playing at Apogee sooner then Texas Tech in 2027 (a decade from now). North Texas should dump Rhode Island in 2021, and sign a lower level P5 program like Virginia to play at North Texas in 2021 and then UNT could play the return game in 2022. Virginia was 2-10 last season. That is an example of a series North Texas should win against a P5 program. Is something like this on the horizon, or is Baker done reworking our schedule?

Nowadays, many Power Schools will only play one road game, often its against other Power schools. They can because of their TV money and their gate from a home game, even at places like Kansas, Indiana, UVa, etc...What you will see is some of these downtrodden teams of the P5 play at G5s because they are hope they can get a win on the road against a lower opponent and can help bring a winning attitude to their team. Then, you have guys like Gundy at OSU that likes playing road games at G5s because he views them as good ways to teach his kids about winning on the road before conference season starts up. And, finally, you will see schools play at G5s that give their alumni an easy game to attend and helps with recruiting, like Texas has done with Rice in the past or OU does with Tulsa.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Nowadays, many Power Schools will only play one road game, often its against other Power schools. They can because of their TV money and their gate from a home game, even at places like Kansas, Indiana, UVa, etc...What you will see is some of these downtrodden teams of the P5 play at G5s because they are hope they can get a win on the road against a lower opponent and can help bring a winning attitude to their team. Then, you have guys like Gundy at OSU that likes playing road games at G5s because he views them as good ways to teach his kids about winning on the road before conference season starts up. And, finally, you will see schools play at G5s that give their alumni an easy game to attend and helps with recruiting, like Texas has done with Rice in the past or OU does with Tulsa.

Quick note on the Texas/Rice series - When Texas plays at Rice, the game will be held at Reliant Stadium. The series is basically a 2-for-1 agreement with the last game being a payday for Rice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

My thoughts on P5 we could get here, Colorado St, Iowa St, Washington St, Rutgers, Oregon State, (Boise st even though they aren't P5 good draw I'm guessing) UCONN, anywho.  Plenty of schools we could convince of a 1-1 hey you recruit Texas, why not have a game there we will do a 1-1 with you.  Just my two cents.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And, finally, you will see schools play at G5s that give their alumni an easy game to attend and helps with recruiting, like Texas has done with Rice in the past or OU does with Tulsa.

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Quick note on the Texas/Rice series - When Texas plays at Rice, the game will be held at Reliant Stadium. The series is basically a 2-for-1 agreement with the last game being a payday for Rice.

Texas plays at Rice because they've lost most of their presence in Houston.  aTm and LSU are bigger players in Houston than UT.  Even lowly UH has challenged their presence there, drawing bigger TV numbers than UT.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

My thoughts on P5 we could get here, Colorado St, Iowa St, Washington St, Rutgers, Oregon State, (Boise st even though they aren't P5 good draw I'm guessing) UCONN, anywho.  Plenty of schools we could convince of a 1-1 hey you recruit Texas, why not have a game there we will do a 1-1 with you.  Just my two cents.  

Don't discount your suggestion, but I believe WB has his big boy AD pants on and will figure it all out. Winning will cure almost all ills.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You do know UConn is in the AAC and Colorado St is in the MWC, right?

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

You do know UConn is in the AAC and Colorado St is in the MWC, right?

Yeah realized after I posted, these dang conference realignments kill me because I remember teams in what they used to be.  Carry on.  Lol

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, Side Show Joe said:

2-10 in a new system with very little left and what was left was totally beat down from the previous coach.  UVA will be considerably better in 2021-2022 as long as Bronco Mendenhall and Frank Wintrich are still there.  

Hopefully UNT will be too.

14 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

What's wrong with playing Vanderbilt, Oregon State, New Mexico(I know they're not P5), Iowa State, Kansas, Virginia, and other "low level life forms" of the P5 regime?

Because, by the time our scheduled game rolled around, they would all be ranked in the Top 5.  It is how we roll.

The problem with our schedule isn't the bodybag game-we HAVE to have it to pay the bills around here. Its the fact that we play FCS spares that no one has heard of or cares about every year here. Not a one of them will bring any marginal group here, except maybe a few hundred will show up from ACU when they play here.

SFA and SHSU remain the only two FCS teams worth scheduling and we avoided both like the plague so we could schedule Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Portland State, Bethune-Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, ACU, Houston Baptist, and Rhode Island. These games don't help our cause one bit--they don't bring anyone in from those schools to watch the game beyond a few dozen or so, you don't get any new fans charged up for games from the UNT side of the equation, you get no media coverage for the game, and the game really doesn't help you prepare for actual FBS teams you will play later in the season. That Nicholls State game was the best evidence of this--we beat that team 77-3. We saw Dajon Williams look like the QB we finally wanted to have, while playing in this wide-open offense we hadn't seen McCarney ever call. Then,, when playing the next few CUSA games, we saw that it was all a farce. Even last year's win over BC didn't really tell us much, as Mason Fine looked better against them than he did against anyone else on the schedule.

I've said it before, but that SMU series should have been used to get us a quality home opponent to play here in OOC games, so that you can use that SMU game in Dallas every other year to still be a 6th chance to watch us play near home, while giving us the year they play here in Denton as the chance to play 6 home games, with two OOC games worth watching. Imagine playing SMU in Dallas, paired with the road game at bodybag, then a home game against Army, and a road game at BYU. Then next year, you play SMU and BYU at home, while playing at Army and the bodybag. That is infinitely better all the way around than what we do now. To me, playing at SMU is a half home game anyway, while playing a FCS spare at Apogee isn't worth more than half a game against a real FBS school. It could have been used that way by RV, but he settled for the easiest path (shocker). WB can fix this, but its gonna take a commitment from the university to redo those FCS games for the future. I believe he will try his best to do just that.

• Downvote 1

On 6/6/2017 at 9:22 AM, NTXCoog said:

They're too busy playing Liberty in 2018 and 2019. :-)

But seriously, it looks like they only play 1 road OOC a year and they've got a road OOC game scheduled every year until 2028

Saw TV ad for Liberty while watching channel 5 newscast yesterday! Interesting.

2 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

the poorest P5 programs

That's like the lowest priced store on Rodeo drive. The Big XII teams are getting $34.8 million EACH. Baylor is having about $6 million put in escrow, but they will get that once it's verified they are implementing the 105 recommendations on reforming their Title IX processes.