DRC: Why UNT needs a new track venue

Brett Vito

Stagnating the process of baseball to ensure the completion of a track venue is incomprehensible to me. UNT is not obligated to do anything, which includes building said track venue. 

And comparing the stand up of our softball program to the potential start up of a baseball program is beyond naive. UNT butchered the process of starting up the softball program and they have paid for it it since.

UNT could be highly competitive in baseball very quickly for the 11.7 partial rule you stated, and for several others. 1 mainly being the ongoing success of a couple handfuls of Texas D1 programs. I cann't emphasize enough the amount of talent there is in baseball in this state. Also, the support would be there on the outside. It's a fresh program with 0 apathy seemingly that is and hopefully not forever associated with our football program. 

Getting around title 9 is the curveball. But if most every other CUSA team can do it, then so can we. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 19

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

It was reported earlier that funding is in place.

Yes it had been reported, but none of us know how the UNT AD office spends or plans to spend the money. Nor did the article say anything about the funding from what I remember.

That is why I asked, because we would never know if a donor pulls out or something. Also it would seem that the once a design was chosen/location, and finding a builder was complete then would come the price followed by an announcement of when it would be built. The location hasn't changed so it seemed logically that something may have happened in terms of price with it changing or someone having 2nd thoughts is why I asked. 

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes it had been reported, but none of us know how the UNT AD office spends or plans to spend the money. Nor did the article say anything about the funding from what I remember.

That is why I asked, because we would never know if a donor pulls out or something. Also it would seem that the once a design was chosen/location, and finding a builder was complete then would come the price followed by an announcement of when it would be built. The location hasn't changed so it seemed logically that something may have happened in terms of price with it changing or someone having 2nd thoughts is why I asked. 

That is because construction on any level never has a delay.  Could be that simple.....

• Upvote 2

If you look at all construction projects across NT, delay is what they all have in common. One of the biggest issues with the high demand for projects is being able to get a firm number you can budget for or finance. I use the 25/25 rule.. it will cost 25% more and take 25% longer than the quote.

Parking is a money maker for the school. You tear down Fouts and add parking with shuttles and make some $ !!

• Upvote 1

There is so much construction going on in and around DFW that it has caused spikes in raw material costs. It could be when construction companies got their hands on the plans and started bidding, costs came in higher than what the university thought the project was going to be. Waiting a little bit, especially after the start of a new budget year (September 1st) allows the school to come up with more money for the project.

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

If you look at all construction projects across NT, delay is what they all have in common. One of the biggest issues with the high demand for projects is being able to get a firm number you can budget for or finance. I use the 25/25 rule.. it will cost 25% more and take 25% longer than the quote.

Parking is a money maker for the school. You tear down Fouts and add parking with shuttles and make some $ !!

Yeah... it's not like insane weather that causes construction delays or lowest-bidder public contract subcontractors who screw up work never ever happen. 

Public entity construction projects always happen on-time and under budget. Remember when y'all went to the August 2015 opening of the new Union and got to Denton in record time thanks to the new 35 Express toll lanes? 

sarcmeter.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I can't remember exactly, but isn't the latest master plan to have academic buildings where Fouts is?

I do remember that is the plan for pretty much all of West Prairie Street.

18 minutes ago, meangreen16 said:

I can't remember exactly, but isn't the latest master plan to have academic buildings where Fouts is?

I do remember that is the plan for pretty much all of West Prairie Street.

Part of the master plan is to build a parking garage on part of where Fouts is today.

11 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

That is because construction on any level never has a delay.  Could be that simple.....

Yes everyone should expect delays, and with that being said why would they announce a plan without any wiggle room and tell coaches/ recruits/ players that it would be finished by a certain time? Hell, they should have said it will take till the end of 2018 and then finish it early. 

There is no doubt that the venue will be built.   This is not an extravagance. it is a necessity if NT is going to compete in track and field.  It also should help soccer even if the coach won't admit it.   

I also doubt that the track coaches guaranteed recruits when the facility would be built.  They would be stupid not to mention that a new track facility was scheduled for construction.   

I don't see how this changes the baseball situation at all.  Baseball now as before is a nice to have, but is not currently a high priority.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2017 at 0:27 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

The article stated that the $11.9 million was in place. From the outside looking in, it is easy to make assumptions, but having been involved with large construction projects, sometimes things arise that are unexpected, etc...

There are also Title XI gender equity issues to consider.

I think you transposed a Roman Numeral there @Brett Vito

the idea that a team would be good quickly is a bit of a stretch.

While I wouldn't guarantee it, and I'm kinda past bothering to argue for prioritizing a baseball program, the notion that it's a "stretch" that they would be good quickly is, in my humble opinion, incorrect.  The only real obstacle to that with a good coaching staff, a good stadium, the state of Texas, and membership in CUSA would be the intangible curse of it simply being UNT.  I can go on and cite a great number of programs that have started this century and met significant success in under ten years.

Edited by oldguystudent