2017 Coaches Caravan in review

cjones

5 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

"I don't care for these events" = totally appropriate response

"it's for ass kissers" = totally inappropriate response 

I wasn't directly calling you one. But it's set up for just that. Might as well have coach/AD shrines set up all around each hosting complex. 

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

No doubt that their offense is currently harder to decipher than the norm.  That is obviously, why the service academies run it to make up for generally lesser athletes.  I, however doubt that performance in the following game is significantly thrown off by playing a run option team.  From what I saw in San Antonio, UTSA was a far superior team in just about every phase.  The same for the following La Tech and WKU slaughters , was NT still suffering from having to prepare for Army?  Or why the complete disaster at UTEP,  a hangover from the USM win?  An UTEP team that lose to Army by over 50 points. 

This debate was spawned by my post questioning losing two games of the Army series and scheduling Liberty to allow some unknown matchup.  I didn't state it was a bad decision but rather it better be a good series that has caused all this schedule maneuvering.    Army was and is a good series based on NT's history, I don't know how that can even be questioned.   

But that's my question...HOW does scheduling LIBERTY in a home n home do anything for our scheduling of future opponents. I'm trying to connect the dots. I'm having a very difficult time of doing so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I wasn't directly calling you one. But it's set up for just that. Might as well have coach/AD shrines set up all around each hosting complex. 

I certainly did not take it as a personal insult.  I simply considered the source.  My comments regarding your original response remain as I expect your feelings do as well.  If you are correct, it seems every major program in the country has a bunch of these so-called "ass kissers" as the majority of programs spending a decent amount of staff time time and departmental money and energy to attempt to engage with their fans in locations easy for fans to attend, sure seem to draw a good number of these "ass-kissers"...other than UNT, of course.

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

But that's my question...HOW does scheduling LIBERTY in a home n home do anything for our scheduling of future opponents. I'm trying to connect the dots. I'm having a very difficult time of doing so. 

That very answer was explained to me last evening at the Dallas Caravan by one Wren Baker himself.  Amazing that you would care to know yet will not take the small amount of time it would take to get the answer to your questions by attending one of the local Caravans.  There is a very logical answer...whether you or I might like the answer or not is a personal decision...but the answer provided to me last night at Dot's was indeed very logical.  And, involved opinions from a number of people...not just Wren Baker.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Just now, KRAM1 said:

I certainly did not take it as a personal insult.  I simply considered the source.  My comments regarding your original response remain as I expect your feelings do as well.  If you are correct, it seems every major program in the country has a bunch of these so-called "ass kissers" as the majority of programs spending a decent amount of staff time time and departmental money and energy to attempt to engage with their fans in locations easy for fans to attend, sure seem to draw a good number of these "ass-kissers"...other than UNT, of course.

Uh, all the other programs around the country do have ass kissers. Just many more of them. And the majority of what you call "so called" aren't "so called" at all. They are. 

As for your snarky "source" comment...I slightly withdrew what I was saying to bring clarity. I try to be G rated with you because I know you're a great fan and ambassador to UNT. So don't be a sneaky dick to me when I clarified what I was saying. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Marty

I went to the Plano event and specifically talked to Wren about Liberty and the people on this board will be pleased

with the home and home games (at least 2 teams & more maybe more these changes will free him to schedule)

Sorry I was away yesterday and didn't post yesterday.

• Upvote 3

Kram I have been a season ticket holder since 1972 and a Mean Club member since 1973 and have gone to a bunch of these meetings.   This year I will be unable to attend any of them.   Do you mind telling us what Mr. Baker said about scheduling Liberty?  I do not understand why we did that but would love to know.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't think the point was that Army is too tough a game, but that they are tough to defensively game plan for and throw  you out of a normal routine during the season.

Bingo. It sets the team back at least two weeks, and consequently when a key conference game is the following week, the team is likely sluggish or ill-prepared. Any HFC in the FBS would tell you the same thing.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Huff said:

Kram I have been a season ticket holder since 1972 and a Mean Club member since 1973 and have gone to a bunch of these meetings.   This year I will be unable to attend any of them.   Do you mind telling us what Mr. Baker said about scheduling Liberty?  I do not understand why we did that but would love to know.  

Brett Vito has a piece, that is in another thread and recently posted, that speaks to this issue.  I do not feel comfortable posting any more than I already have from a private conversation.  Sorry.  The one thing I can say is that by scheduling this series UNT has freed up room to schedule team that fit into the framework that Brett lines out in his article and that Wren discussed last night at the Caravan.  Liberty just happened to be the school that fit the timetable and was willing to work with us to move things around.  I do not believe Liberty was targeted, but rather the "opportunity" came up in the many schools and conversations Wren has had in recent weeks as he tries to "adjust" our schedule to better fit what he, Coach Littrell and others feel works better for UNT.  One aim is to not have to schedule those so-called money games for too much longer.  But, that is just one piece in the on-going and developing strategic planning that is going on with UNT Athletics.

One other thing that I have really enjoyed hearing at these Caravans is how much our other coaches in the "Olympic Sports" appreciate what Wren is doing to give them the tools they need to be successful...not just helping football and basketball.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Brett Vito has a piece, that is in another thread and recently posted, that speaks to this issue.  I do not feel comfortable posting any more than I already have from a private conversation.  Sorry.  The one thing I can say is that by scheduling this series UNT has freed up room to schedule team that fit into the framework that Brett lines out in his article and that Wren discussed last night at the Caravan.  Liberty just happened to be the school that fit the timetable and was willing to work with us to move things around.  I do not believe Liberty was targeted, but rather the "opportunity" came up in the many schools and conversations Wren has had in recent weeks as he tries to "adjust" our schedule to better fit what he, Coach Littrell and others feel works better for UNT.  One aim is to not have to schedule those so-called money games for too much longer.  But, that is just one piece in the on-going and developing strategic planning that is going on with UNT Athletics.

One other thing that I have really enjoyed hearing at these Caravans is how much our other coaches in the "Olympic Sports" appreciate what Wren is doing to give them the tools they need to be successful...not just helping football and basketball.

You are a fountain of information and a true ambassador to the University.  Keep it up, and we will have to name an award after you or something. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3