MGB: Spring practice opens tomorrow -- News and notes

Brett Vito

Updated Roster for Spring:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ntex-m-footbl-mtt.html

Curious to see a lot of our linebackers sitting around the 220-230 mark. Looks like they're pushing speed over size.

Really hoping they put Kelvin Smith more at the H-back running routes out of the backfield. I think it'll happen more as the O-line gels together and we don't need to max protect as much with the H-back

Also really interested to see the QB and Slot(A Receiver) battles play out. To me, the slot might be the most important receiver in this offense. We need a Wes Welker/Trent Taylor type that can consistently pick up 7-8 yards a catch and get those first downs in crucial spots

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Something else that was interesting is Vito is saying we are close to filling that open scholarship with a WR, I was hoping for a DL or LB with our depth issues

Can't win if you can't score. Think you'll be surprised by the depth at LB 

In 3-3 stack Eck runs only need 3 LBs then two hybrid guys like baulkman, Preston, type guys.  One high safety McClain/Robinson and 2 corners 

DE          NT          DE.                                                                                                                                                                   

JACK.                                                      BANDIT                                                                                                                                                                  

LB          MLB.        LB 

C.                                          FS.                                     C 

excuse my bad spacing 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Can't win if you can't score. Think you'll be surprised by the depth at LB 

In 3-3 stack Reffett runs only need 3 LBs then two hybrid guys like baulkman, Preston, type guys.  One high safety McClain/Robinson and 2 corners 

DE          NT          DE.                                                                                                                                                                   

JACK.                                                      BANDIT                                                                                                                                                                  

LB          MLB.        LB 

C.                                          FS.                                     C 

excuse my bad spacing 

FTFY.

Also, you bring up a good point. There are currently 10 LB's(11 if you count Hambone) on the roster, not counting Fulp. That effectively gives you a 3 man rotation at every LB spot.

Also noticing a few DB's with some good size on the roster. This defense is gonna be fun to watch. Guys are gonna fly to the ball from any and every direction

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

FTFY.

Also, you bring up a good point. There are currently 10 LB's(11 if you count Hambone) on the roster, not counting Fulp. That effectively gives you a 3 man rotation at every LB spot.

Also noticing a few DB's with some good size on the roster. This defense is gonna be fun to watch. Guys are gonna fly to the ball from any and every direction

Hambone is a 5 technique (head up) DE no more LB from my understanding.  And that is exactly where he needs to play. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, GMG24 said:

Hambone is a 5 technique (head up) DE no more LB from my understanding.  And that is exactly where he needs to play. 

Absolutely. Especially at his size. I just saw him listed as DE/LB on the official roster.

Won't be surprised to see him play in a similar role to Combs last year. Big enough to play DE but athletic enough to cover the flats

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Absolutely. Especially at his size. I just saw him listed as DE/LB on the official roster.

Won't be surprised to see him play in a similar role to Combs last year. Big enough to play DE but athletic enough to cover the flats

Best part of 3-3 is you can blitz and of the 2nd level 5.  Between stunts and Blitzes you have a lot of issues as an OL/Protection schemes 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm assuming he is already on the roster? Hudl says he is a class of 2019 kid...

Looks like a big kid that can find the hole on KR

Yeah his HuDl appears to be off.  Went to Howard Payne and lit it up on special teams returns.  Will be interesting to see how he fares at a higher level.  Interesting that coaches mention him because they usually don't do that unless there is something there.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Just got around to watching the Fine video in this post.

I'm enjoying the chess match he and Pearson are playing in the media.  Both are competitors.
Izzy laying low in all of this.  We'll see what he can do once he's at 100%.

I wouldn't say Izzy is laying low - he's turning a lot of heads from my understanding.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn't say Izzy is laying low - he's turning a lot of heads from my understanding.

Haven't seen/heard anything from him as far as media goes is what I'm saying.   

He's still not practicing at 100%, right?   He could get even better!   I'm certainly not going to base an opinion of him off of 2-3 days worth of spring practice though.  Especially if he's not fully healthy.
But, it would be nice to hear from him to see what he says.