UNT Football 2017 Roster Update - Version 1

BillySee58

The first roster update for the 2017 season came out recently (not sure exactly when). Here are some items of note.

Garrett Gunter is back as a Redshirt Senior. He was a Senior last year but suffered a season-ending injury in the 4th game against Rice. 4 games is the max in football for a medical redshirt (hardship waiver if 93-98 is reading), so it looks like he got it.

Devlin Isadore is listed as a Redshirt Junior. Per an interview, it seems he thought he would have 3 years of eligibility left. It turns out his eligibility clock did start back in fall of 2014 while at Angelo State, so he has two years left here.

Looks like Devin O'Hara wasn't eligible for a Redshirt last year, as he is listed as a Redshirt Senior. His former JUCO teammate WR Quinetin Jackson did receive a Redshirt as he is now a Redshirt Junior.

2016 signee Darius Turner is no longer on the roster. I could be wrong, but I think that's the first Littrell signee to leave after actually making it here and being eligible.

Here is the breakdown of scholarship players by grade:

Seniors: 19

Juniors: 16

Sophomores: 15

Freshmen: 5

This totals 55 scholarship players. This includes just 3 of our signees, so the other 16 will bring the total up to 71, if everyone stays. We also have 5 other commits who weren't announced and it appears are being blueshirted. This would bring our scholarship total up to 76 for next year, if nobody left between now and then and we didn't add anyone else.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The first roster update for the 2017 season came out recently (not sure exactly when). Here are some items of note.

Garrett Gunter is back as a Redshirt Senior. He was a Senior last year but suffered a season-ending injury in the 4th game against Rice. 4 games is the max in football for a medical redshirt (hardship waiver if 93-98 is reading), so it looks like he got it.

Devlin Isadore is listed as a Redshirt Junior. Per an interview, it seems he thought he would have 3 years of eligibility left. It turns out his eligibility clock did start back in fall of 2014 while at Angelo State, so he has two years left here.

Looks like Devin O'Hara wasn't eligible for a Redshirt last year, as he is listed as a Redshirt Senior. His former JUCO teammate WR Quinetin Jackson did receive a Redshirt as he is now a Redshirt Junior.

2016 signee Darius Turner is no longer on the roster. I could be wrong, but I think that's the first Littrell signee to leave after actually making it here and being eligible.

This totals 55 scholarship players. This includes just 3 of our signees, so the other 16 will bring the total up to 71, if everyone stays. We also have 5 other commits who weren't announced and it appears are being blueshirted. This would bring our scholarship total up to 76 for next year, if nobody left between now and then and we didn't add anyone else.

Ouch 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

So if we have 16 coming in and 5 freshman on the roster, what about the other 4 scholarships for this class?

We announced 19 signees. 3 are already on the roster (Junior Jevin Pahinui, RS Sophomore Jalen Guyton, and Freshman Cade Pearson). 16 signees are not currently on the roster but will be.

So it looks like we have 1 spot left in the class, not including anymore players we may bring in as blueshirts.

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We announced 19 signees. 3 are already on the roster (Junior Jevin Pahinui, RS Sophomore Jalen Guyton, and Freshman Cade Pearson). 16 signees are not currently on the roster but will be.

So it looks like we have 1 spot left in the class, not including anymore players we may bring in as blueshirts.

Are you counting McGeehee in the 19?  MGS website still only shows 18 signees.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The depth alone should help wonders.

@BillySee58 we're assuming 76 scholly total going into next season.  What was that number going into 2016?

We were at 70 or 71 I believe. And I wouldn't say we're assuming 76, because that would mean everyone makes it in and no one transfers between now and September. I wouldn't count on that.

28 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Are you counting McGeehee in the 19?  MGS website still only shows 18 signees.

Yes I am. Vito said he signed here

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2017/02/breaking-news-unt-adds-scholarship-punter-late.html/

Not sure if that's true and they just didn't bother to update because signing day festivities were over, or if he still hasn't officially signed.

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We were at 70 or 71 I believe. And I wouldn't say we're assuming 76, because that would mean everyone makes it in and no one transfers between now and September. I wouldn't count on that.

What is the status with Horton? Last I recalled he was a 3* with 1 year left if he became eligible.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Do these numbers just including guys that were given scholarships to come to UNT or does it also include walkons that were converted to scholarship at some point after they arrived?

28 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

What is the status with Horton? Last I recalled he was a 3* with 1 year left if he became eligible.

His status is Littrell has moved on but he appears to be very motivated to play regardless. If I had to guess, I would say the only way for him to make the team at this point is for him to tryout with the rest of the unrecruited walkon candidates during the open tryouts that take place right before spring camp. That is, if he is enrolled full-time at UNT, which I am not sure he is.

I see a zero percent chance we offer him a scholarship even if he gets eligible, as we would have to count him towards our 2018 class, essentially tasking us with counting his scholarship and replacing him all in the same class.

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

Do these numbers just including guys that were given scholarships to come to UNT or does it also include walkons that were converted to scholarship at some point after they arrived?

All players currently on scholarship. Guys like Flusche and Gunter who came here as walkons but we're out on scholarship still are included as scholarship guys in my count.

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I see a zero percent chance we offer him a scholarship even if he gets eligible, as we would have to count him towards our 2018 class, essentially tasking us with counting his scholarship and replacing him all in the same class.

I assume when talking "Horton" we actually mean Raveon Hoston?

If he already counted as a signing for the 2016 class, why would he have to be counted again toward another class?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I assume when talking "Horton" we actually mean Raveon Hoston?

If he already counted as a signing for the 2016 class, why would he have to be counted again toward another class?

He was never counted towards any class. Never officially signed an LOI. He was going to blueshirted and be backcounted towards the 2017 class but since blueshirts are nonbinding agreements, it was the same as if he never committed by him never making it in.

Also, I'm fairly certain that if a player doesn't qualify then their spot opens up. I think that was the case as we brought in 7 guys post-signing day and only had to blueshirt 5 towards the 2017 class. The other 2 seemingly took the spots in the 2016 class in place of Cody Hayes and William Johnson.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He was never counted towards any class. Never officially signed an LOI. 

Are you sure?

https://twitter.com/SuperStarRayy/status/738137500208615425/photo/1?ref_src=twsrcEtfw

I'm not saying for sure that that's an actual LOI.  But I am pretty sure I remember SL specifically discussing Hoston, which he can't do until he signs an LOI.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everybody is all upset about our low # of scholarship players, but doesn't every other program have the same issues (guys sign and can't make grades, kids quit, players transfer, etc). Has anyone ever done an investigation into the scholarship numbers of the other CUSA teams? Surely our scholarship numbers can't be THAT different from everyone else. And isn't keeping kids in school and graduating them part of the APR formula, that we score so high in?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1