Poor Timing

UNTLifer

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I get it, some of you are not pleased with our recent recruiting efforts but the timing in discussing this is unbelievable.  Half of the threads dedicated to announcing these young men's committment to our university have slowly turned in to a bitch fest over how some of you have the opinion that we got our asses handed to us.  If I were an 18 year old excited about realizing a dream to play D1 football only to go to my new team's website to read how the fans think we suck in comparison to everyone else in our conference, state, region, etc... I would be pissed.  These kids deserve to be welcomed and given a fair shake at success.  

People come on here and point to our program and the culture that needs changing.  We are part of that culture and these young men are now part of our team.   How about a taking a couple of days to celebrate who we have just welcomed to our team and letting them be excited about being a part of the North Texas family?  If I were one of these young men who just signed with North Texas and was excited about my decision and new team, only to search out their fan's website to read some of the crap on here I'd want to run out for the first game displaying the one fingered salute.  Welcome these young men and understand that they are now part of our university, our team and hopefully, along with their family members, life long supporters of the program.  

Be part of the culture change, support the program to the best of your ability to allow us to continually improve and give these young men a chance before criticizing their abilities in continuing the turn around of this program.

You'll get lots of dislikes for this, but you are 100% right.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

I agree there is no need to bring up general thoughts on recruiting in a specific recruits thread.  I have no problem with people expressing their well thought out opinions in other, none recruit specific threads.  

Leave each recruit thread to that recruit, at the most, how signing him will impact other players or recruits.  

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I agree there is no need to bring up general thoughts on recruiting in a specific recruits thread.  I have no problem with people expressing their well thought out opinions in other, none recruit specific threads.  

Leave each recruit thread to that recruit, at the most, how signing him will impact other players or recruits.  

I won't lie, I am disappointed in the "Rating" of our class.  However, once I went back and re-watched each kids tape I see a lot of ability and potential for this to be a solid class that competes at each position for playing time immediately.  I saw very few "projects" and a whole lot of guys who can make plays from Day 1.  

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, wardly said:

So its o.k. to express your opinion, just not specifically? When you are ranked 12 in conference and 116th in nation it looks to me that people on a national level are specifically  questioning your recruiting classes abilities.

You missed the point.  

It's fine to complain about the class, in the right place. This thread for example is a good place.  If you want to complain about the class, don't do it in a recruits personal thread.

Does that seem clear?  

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

So its o.k. to express your opinion, just not specifically? When you are ranked 12 in conference and 116th in nation it looks to me that people on a national level are specifically  questioning your recruiting classes abilities.

It's one recruiting class. Lots of excuses could be made but why not just say "oh well it's his first recruiting class, he'll do better next time." Why is it so hard to give him a chance to do better next season. Let me ask you this. If nUTSAck consistently pulls the #1 recruiting class under FW and SL consistently pulls 7-9, but SL beats them every year would you still complain about his recruiting? The purpose of recruiting is to get you closer to winning, but if you win what difference does it make if you finish 1,9, or 12?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

If nUTSAck consistently pulls the #1 recruiting class under FW and SL consistently pulls 7-9, but SL beats them every year would you still complain about his recruiting? 

Do you think that's likely?

TCU pulls in much better recruiting classes than we do, do you think it's likely we beat them much?  UT has a great record against us, do you think it's because their helmet logo is better, or because they have better recruits?  

2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

You'll get lots of dislikes for this, but you are 100% right.

Don't care.  Being highly critical of a recruiting class the day young men sign on the dotted line is ridiculous, at least on a public forum.  Everyone has a right to their opinion but I wish some would express them in a more appropriate manner.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, wardly said:

CEREBUS, thanks for a moment of clarity. I just can't believe that anyone would complain on a recruits personal thread.My bad.

This year it's been something of an epidemic. I can think of a couple threads that were locked because it snowballed downhill from there. I think it should be added to the recruiting thread rules/guidelines that the threads are used for people's opinion and evaluations of individual players, not for their overall views on the recruiting future of the program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I thought it was interesting that Coach Littrell said at the end of the Q&A with Dave Barnett last night that everyone needs to speak positively about the school and program as it helps with recruiting. Constant negativity does nothing but poison the well.

I really liked that comment. Spreading positivity can slowly grow into something great but if you start negativity it can spread like a cancer and kill a reputation in a hurry.

Anyone else catch Littrell say that there will be one more addition of an O lineman before fall?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

I really liked that comment. Spreading positivity can slowly grow into something great but if you start negativity it can spread like a cancer and kill a reputation in a hurry.

Anyone else catch Littrell say that there will be one more addition of an O lineman before fall?

Where/When did you hear that?

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Going to need a 2nd, and possibly a 3rd confirmation of this statement before I believe you.
I-dont-believe-you.gif

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Where/When did you hear that?

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Going to need a 2nd, and possibly a 3rd confirmation of this statement before I believe you.
I-dont-believe-you.gif

Straight from the horses mouth last night at the Signing Day Celebration. I might of missunderstood him but I swear he said that

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

I will be the 2nd confirmation. He mentioned another OL they are working on, but that he understandably couldn't say much more than that. The impression I got from his comment was he wouldn't have brought it up if he didn't think it was going to happen.

GMG

At the very least he made it sound like he was leaving room for a late signing (not including the P/K who sent in his LOI in late).

6 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

It's one recruiting class. Lots of excuses could be made but why not just say "oh well it's his first recruiting class, he'll do better next time." Why is it so hard to give him a chance to do better next season. Let me ask you this. If nUTSAck consistently pulls the #1 recruiting class under FW and SL consistently pulls 7-9, but SL beats them every year would you still complain about his recruiting? The purpose of recruiting is to get you closer to winning, but if you win what difference does it make if you finish 1,9, or 12?

The difference is that you improve and move up... Look at what TCU has done... they won, and improved in recruiting and moved up conferences.. Also, it brings in better talent and improves the image of the school and makes UNT which is a great school, a school that people out of state know of more.

Also, would love the OL to be that 3* from RoundRock if he didn't sign anywhere, but I'm guessing it would be a JUCO OT?

22 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I was under the understanding the kicker is a blue shirt. Did the team send out an official announcement like they did the rest of the kid that signed schollys on NSD? 

No they didn't So that would leave us with 2 spots I believe...

With McGhee, TIbbs, Spoon, Izzy(?), King, Gieser(?), Roberts, are the BS off the top of my head

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

No they didn't So that would leave us with 2 spots I believe...

With McGhee, TIbbs, Spoon, Izzy(?), King, Gieser(?), Roberts, are the BS off the top of my head

Brett said he sent in his LOI later in the day: