North Texas running back Willy Ivery no longer with football program

GMG24

Clay Massey | Senior Staff Writer

University of North Texas official Margarita Venegas confirmed Monday junior running back Willy Ivery is no longer enrolled at the school.

Ivery was not eligible for the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl after being deemed academically ineligible following the fall semester. He made 11 appearances for the Mean Green in 2016, carrying the ball 90 times.

Ivery rushed for six touchdowns and 489 yards in a back-up role last season. He also caught 25 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns. The Sulphur Springs native had been with the program since 2014.

A source close to the team later confirmed Ivery was no longer with the football program.

Featured image: Junior running back Willy Ivery (29) attempts to rush for a first down. North Texas rushed for a total net of five yards against MTSU. Colin Mitchell

View Full Article

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We got Wyche as well

I'm speaking in terms of guys that will contribute IMO, I hope Wyche comes around but he didn't look great all year to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GMG24 said:

I'm speaking in terms of guys that will contribute IMO, I hope Wyche comes around but he didn't look great all year to me. 

I think Wyche had to adjust this year, but I also think him getting little playing time didn't help either. Wyche looked on tape similar to Ivery so maybe he replaces Ivery hopefully. With Smith replacing Wilson, and Tucker being the all around/ goal-line guy

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think Wyche had to adjust this year, but I also think him getting little playing time didn't help either. Wyche looked on tape similar to Ivery so maybe he replaces Ivery hopefully. With Smith replacing Wilson, and Tucker being the all around/ goal-line guy

Wilson has another year. If he stays healthy he'll have a hell of a season, Smith will be the number 2 back that dude can go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

We have a couple of ATH in this class that have some wiggle similar to Ivery, but I am also counting on Smith to be the clear #2 with Wilson. 

Yessir.  Also I am telling y'all don't discount Connor Means.  He'll be a downhill in your face back. I'm intrigued by him.

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

to bad he did not work his way back to the team.

The problem with leveling heavy duty punishments (like not playing in the bowl etc) is that it is hard to find a pathway back from that.  Best of luck to Willy, he is a good player and always gave it his all on the field.