Sawyer to Transfer from TCU

djohnnie

Just now, GMG24 said:

He isn't elusive? The dude avoided 20 + sacks while taking 30+ sacks where he had little to no chance to avoid. He'll be just Fine.

In the UTSA game? The comment mentioned UTSA begging to differ. From what I saw in that specific game, no. Overall, I've always been a Fine advocate. Doing what he did last year as a true freshman shows he has "it". As I also stated, if this guy is running for his life half the game he wouldn't get the chance to develop and reach his potential.

4 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

In the UTSA game? The comment mentioned UTSA begging to differ. From what I saw in that specific game, no. Overall, I've always been a Fine advocate. Doing what he did last year as a true freshman shows he has "it". As I also stated, if this guy is running for his life half the game he wouldn't get the chance to develop and reach his potential.

Ok... the dude took one to the house on y'all where I'm pretty sure he had to have a little wiggle to get in the crease then the speed to run away from the defense.  Elusiveness is much more than "juke" moves.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GMG24 said:

Ok... the dude took one to the house on y'all where I'm pretty sure he had to have a little wiggle to get in the crease then the speed to run away from the defense.  Elusiveness is much more than "juke" moves.

I wish the punter would be back. I loved watching him. He was $ with placement. I'll never forget one punt he aimed for the coffin corner and nearly hit the pylon. That guy is precision. Definitely going to follow him in the N.F.L.

34 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

North Texas QB:

It's Wide Open!

After a full year for Mason in the system I think he can and will have a break out season . Year 2 for Littrell has been the year his team's make huge strides. Mason as a true freshman showed us more last year than any of the QBs after DT has showed us. Which isnt saying much but the kid was a true freshman. For an 18 year old his toughness and leader ship and game management showed he should have a very good CUSA career!! 

At the same time I think Delvin has chance to be biggest steal of the class. I believe if he didn't get hurt we don't have a chance for him. I think he would be at a P5 school. And he isn't on campus yet so still could end up some where else if offered. P5 schools are showing interest since he has rehabbed quicker than first thought. I think if he ends up at UNT he has a chance to really be something special. And will push mason for starting job and may give time for Mason to develop even more. Seth had alot of success at UNC with a QB with similar skill set. It should be fun to watch.

Do I think the QB is perfect no. But with the trio of Mason, Delvin and Cade UNT QB room has potential to be very nice for next few years. I wouldn't rule out grad transfer either but it would have to be right fit! Seth and co. Are not just going to pull a Texas state and grab a grad transfer QB just to fill roster spots.

• Upvote 1

Defenses began adjusting to Fiine once they figured out he couldn't throw a deep ball by putting 8 in the box. Just like with Mini Mac. Fine HAS to figure that out. 

QB should be wide open next year with everyone allowed to compete.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Defenses began adjusting to Fiine once they figured out he couldn't throw a deep ball by putting 8 in the box. Just like with Mini Mac. Fine HAS to figure that out. 

QB should be wide open next year with everyone allowed to compete.

Quarterback will be wide open and is wide open. But you just compared a true freshman to a guy who didnt start till his RS jr year. Fine has time to his grow and improve!

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Quarterback will be wide open and is wide open. But you just compared a true freshman to a guy who didnt start till his RS jr year. Fine has time to his grow and improve!

Sort of, I know for a gut-wrenching fact that Mini started at least one game his true freshman season while DT was injured.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Sort of, I know for a gut-wrenching fact that Mini started at least one game his true freshman season while DT was injured.

Career Passing Stats

Year Team G Cmp Att Comp % Yds Yd/A TDs Int Sacked Yds
2011 NorTx  7 28 51 54.9 352 6.9 1 3 6 45
2012 NorTx  1 0 0 - 0 - 0 0 0 0
2013 NorTx  8 5 6 83.3 36 6.0 0 1 0 0
2014 NorTx  10 110 202 54.5 1295 6.4 6 7 11 106
2015 NorTx  8 81 170 47.6 820 4.8 3 4 14 106
Career   34 224 429 52.2 2503 5.8 10 15 31 25

you are right I stand corrected! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Again, my issue with him is his inability to stretch a defense. All deep balls are underthrown and off target. That isn't a learning issue. That's either an arm strength or a mechanics issue. 

Look at all the tape you want. You will not see one time where he hit a receiver deep in stride. That needs to be better next year, because the book is out on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I couldn't find much tape on Fine's season.  What are you watching?  Can you link it?  I would be interested in watching it.  I would argue that our passing game does not rely on the go route and is comprised more or the intermediate routes.

Regardless, Fine strikes me as the type of young man that will put in the time to improve, become more comfortable in the system, etc...  That doesn't give him a free ride to the starting spot, but we also must remember that in one year he moved from a smaller classification high school in Oklahoma to starting at a FCS university that was instituting a new system, playing a lot of new players all after a 1-11 mess the previous season.  I think many QB's would struggle some in this situation.

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I couldn't find much tape on Fine's season.  What are you watching?  Can you link it?  I would be interested in watching it.  I would argue that our passing game does not rely on the go route and is comprised more or the intermediate routes.

Regardless, Fine strikes me as the type of young man that will put in the time to improve, become more comfortable in the system, etc...  That doesn't give him a free ride to the starting spot, but we also must remember that in one year he moved from a smaller classification high school in Oklahoma to starting at a FCS university that was instituting a new system, playing a lot of new players all after a 1-11 mess the previous season.  I think many QB's would struggle some in this situation.

Watching games all year and watching for this to happen is how I arrived at this conclusion. It never did.

Not once.

Thats a problem. What you said about "intermediate passing game" was the same justification given for the popgun arm of Riley Dodge and Andrew McNulty. Coincidentally, neither of them had any other offer at QB from an FBS school. 

The problem with that theory is not having a threat of a deep game allows corners to play press coverage and allows safeties to play up in the box. This cuts out the "intermediate passing game" and hurts the running game, also. 

The coaches tried to go deep on multiple occasions. And no, Fine wasn't under pressure on all of these deep routes. Every sideline route was thrown short and out of bounds. Everything deep down the middle was just short. Some painfully so.

I will challenge anyone on this board to go find me video of a deep route that Fine threw where he hit the receiver in stride. I didn't see all the season (missed most of WKU to avoid the rout), but I view a great percentage of it. 

IT

NEVER

HAPPENED

Thats a huge problem the must be fixed going forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

55 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Again, my issue with him is his inability to stretch a defense. All deep balls are underthrown and off target. That isn't a learning issue. That's either an arm strength or a mechanics issue. OR OFFENSIVE LINE PROBLEM AND BEING A TRUE FRESHMAN PLAYING D1 FOOTBALL. GIVE THE KID A BREAK HE DOESNT HAVE TO BE DREW BREES TO WIN AT CONFERENCE USA*.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

But he has to be able to stretch a defense. I'd be much more apt to give him a break if I saw him hit a receiver in stride deep just one time. I didn't. He didn't get better at it as the season went on.

Look, we all hope he fixes this pretty glaring problem, but this program needs to prepare for that not to be the case. There needs to be no declared #1 QB going into spring. It needs to be wide open.

Look neither you nor I know if he underthrew the sideline fades because they could have been called back shoulder fades which are suppose to be underthrown.  His WR this year had a very hard time getting separation from defenders in the first 20-25 yards.  That makes a typical fade pass which should be thrown in the 24-30 yard window a possible 35-40 yard window.  He doesn't have Alec Morris' bazooka arm. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Look neither you nor I know if he underthrew the sideline fades because they could have been called back shoulder fades which are suppose to be underthrown.  His WR this year had a very hard time getting separation from defenders in the first 20-25 yards.  That makes a typical fade pass which should be thrown in the 24-30 yard window a possible 35-40 yard window.  He doesn't have Alec Morris' bazooka arm. 

Just about every sideline fade was under thrown AND thrown out of bounds where the receiver had no opportunity to make a play. 

The problem is real. We can argue about why it's a problem, but to say the problem doesn't exist is just outright denial. I promise you the coaches no it exists and was probably the reason they were leaning toward a return to Morris even before Fine was hurt.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

Just about every sideline fade was under thrown AND thrown out of bounds where the receiver had no opportunity to make a play. 

The problem is real. We can argue about why it's a problem, but to say the problem doesn't exist is just outright denial. I promise you the coaches no it exists and was probably the reason they were leaning toward a return to Morris even before Fine was hurt.

There is no doubt he has room to improve.  He's a true freshman.  There is a reason most freshman redshirt at every college in America.  He needs time to adjust to the speed of the game.  He made a HUGE jump from the level of his HS play to D1 football.  Hell there is a big jump from 6a/5a football in Texas to D1.  We also went over why some of those throws were either on the play call/caller or the WR for lining up in a spot that all but guaranteed he was going to fail on those throws.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Now what you say is generally true. He has been inconsistent and needs to work on the fade and downfield accuracy in general.

I won't go as far to say that will be the reason he loses/doesn't win the starting job next fall. He's got a year in the system, and that puts him at an advantage for a few games - unless you just can't keep one of the other guys off the field day 1.

These fade routes are sometimes peeks, where the QB is reading defensive keys after the snap, and will cheat and peek the fade. In the GIF below, the cross route from the Y receiver (Thompson) ends up eating three defenders, and Robinson is one on one, with a step on his guy.

The second GIF below is Mesh - the same one that Morris scored a TD with Tyler Wilson in the bowl game (@aztecskin talked a little bit about this). Fine actually throws a TD to Tyler Wilson later on in this game on the same play.

Point is, he's got the ability to move the offense, just needs to be more consistent, and make better choices.

clXtmeeralVx6.gif

7LN9McaUGtPoI.gif

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Now what you say is generally true. He has been inconsistent and needs to work on the fade and downfield accuracy in general.

I won't go as far to say that will be the reason he loses/doesn't win the starting job next fall. He's got a year in the system, and that puts him at an advantage for a few games - unless you just can't keep one of the other guys off the field day 1.

These fade routes are sometimes peeks, where the QB is reading defensive keys after the snap, and will cheat and peek the fade. In the GIF below, the cross route from the Y receiver (Thompson) ends up eating three defenders, and Robinson is one on one, with a step on his guy.

The second GIF below is Mesh - the same one that Morris scored a TD with Tyler Wilson in the bowl game (@aztecskin talked a little bit about this). Fine actually throws a TD to Tyler Wilson later on in this game on the same play.

Point is, he's got the ability to move the offense, just needs to be more consistent, and make better choices.

clXtmeeralVx6.gif

7LN9McaUGtPoI.gif

Hurm. That first throw looks like he hit is man . . . in stride. I was told this didn't happen, tho. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Aldo said:

clXtmeeralVx6.gif

7LN9McaUGtPoI.gif

The first one is a 20 yard crossing route, not a deep ball.

The second one is legit and one I didn't remember. It's also a throw he didn't make this year other than a handful of times at most.

Its a problem that needs to be fixed.

• Downvote 12