MGB: Recruiting state of the union -- it's too early to panic

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

dont the blueshirts count against the 2017 class? or the 2016 class

Yes blue-shirts count against the next years class, from what I have read on from last years NSD... I'm not sure how it would work if we have offered them a PWO such a Mann or Pirtle or any others. But basically the player comes here as a "walk-on" and then is offered a scholarship once fall camp starts, he would then count against the following years class, so in the case of someone like Pirtle or Mann(who i'm not sure were blue-shirt, but I would doubt it) instead of counting towards 2016 class their scholarship would count to 2017

I've been wondering how many/if any blue-shirts did we give out in the last class that could have ate up/filled spots in the 2017 class. With how many commits we have we could have only have a few more spots open/ or we could still be needing another 12-13 kids to fill it if we didn't blue-shirt anyone.

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

They count where ever they get a scholarship,  unless @BillySee58 or someone else knows different.  

They can essentially count for either the class that has just passed via backcounting (in this case 2016) or for the nearest future class (2017 in this case). The thing is, the point behind blue shirting is that you ran out of spots for your most recent class so you're needing to afford some to the next class. So usually they're counting towards the next class.

• Upvote 1

Coaching is a small community, where all your rivals know who you have signed,will sign, and hope to sign.There is nothing stealth about, so I think what you see is what you have

.247 has UNT ranked 11 of 14 with UTSA 1st. Texas State is ranked 1st in the Belt. I don't think its too early to panic, as that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

On 12/18/2016 at 1:25 PM, wardly said:

Coaching is a small community, where all your rivals know who you have signed,will sign, and hope to sign.There is nothing stealth about, so I think what you see is what you have

.247 has UNT ranked 11 of 14 with UTSA 1st. Texas State is ranked 1st in the Belt. I don't think its too early to panic, as that ship has sailed.

Ship sails in February. 

UTSA just had a dude decommit. Things will happen in between now and then. While I don't think any of those things will be miracles, we still have to mostly wait. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Ship sails in February. 

UTSA just had a dude decommit. Things will happen in between now and then. While I don't think any of those things will be miracles, we still have to mostly wait. 

Also, will UTSA's top recruit even be able to show up to campus? Aggravated Robbery

Nevermind. May have answered my own question.

He also retweeted this. Just disgusting that we let him get away.

Edited by Cr1028

53 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Also, will UTSA's top recruit even be able to show up to campus? Aggravated Robbery

Nevermind. May have answered my own question.

Yeah @Harry and I had this mini-discussion on another thread. Even if he plays for them, I can't see it being good for their program long-term, for a number of reasons. So risky. While it brings up their recruiting star-average, it doesn't do the same with me. The chances of the guy playing, not effing up again, and them not reeling from the PR hit are less than those of NT finding a productive guy in the 2-star bin and below. 

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Yeah @Harry and I had this mini-discussion on another thread. Even if he plays for them, I can't see it being good for their program long-term, for a number of reasons. So risky. While it brings up their recruiting star-average, it doesn't do the same with me. The chances of the guy playing, not effing up again, and them not reeling from the PR hit are less than those of NT finding a productive guy in the 2-star bin and below. 

100% agree. Artificially inflating their ranking while not actually being a player that will help their program.

Edited by Cr1028

53 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Hasn't that been the general consensus among a lot of the UTSA commits? Great athletes but questionable in the classroom/criminal history?   

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

100% agree. Artificially inflating their ranking while not actually being a player that will help their program.

**WARNING I ROOT FOR BOTH TEAMS **  Is it your considered opinion that a UNT 2 star is better than  UTSA 4/3 star if he plays? Explain slowly so I can follow.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UTSA Fan said:

**WARNING I ROOT FOR BOTH TEAMS **  Is it your considered opinion that a UNT 2 star is better than  UTSA 4/3 star if he plays? Explain slowly so I can follow.

My opinion is that this particular 3-star is exponentially more likely to end up off the team than a 2-star.

11 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Never!?

Nope. Not among a lot of this board. Criticism isn't allowed and you will be shamed for doing so, no matter the validity of the criticism.

On this topic in particular, you see the same tired excuses from the same people that were made for DMac when Billy was screaming at the top of his lungs (ok, Billy doesn't scream. Let's just say posting very bluntly) about the lack of recruiting. 

I fear we have a staff in place that is just doing what it has always done. Recruiting the same places they have always recruited. Basically, not taking advantage of UNT's location. Not being in talent producing local area high schools is pretty inexcusable.

We will all wait until Feb. 3 to pass judgement, but it may be time to seriously question the ability of this staff to recruit local talent. That is a must if UNT wants to be successful. 

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

My opinion is that this particular 3-star is exponentially more likely to end up off the team than a 2-star.

You mean like the 2 JUCOs that never made it to UNT campus last year? 

Programs like UTSA and UNT NEED to take chances. 

And no one knows the facts of the robbery. Was he simply the get away driver? Was he the person actively committing the robbery? Because the charge is the same for both, and anyone involved in the robbery in any way. 

And wasn't that kid committed to UTSA before the robbery? From right out of UNT's back yard? And hasn't UTSA established a pipeline to Lake Dallas? Another program in UNT's backyard? That's a problem, although the deniers will deny it. 

It really looks like UTSA is outworking UNT in recruiting, and kicking their ass in their own backyard. That's a problem.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You mean like the 2 JUCOs that never made it to UNT campus last year? 

Sort of. Grade risk is a bit different than the troubled life this young man led. Those 2 jucos didn't get kicked off their team.

Programs like UTSA and UNT NEED to take chances. 

I agree wholeheartedly within reason. There is a reason that Baylor and OU are facing a $h!tstorm right now. It can't be "no holds barred".

And no one knows the facts of the robbery. Was he simply the get away driver? Was he the person actively committing the robbery? Because the charge is the same for both, and anyone involved in the robbery in any way. 

I agree with you. We don't know. He will be arraigned January 5th, so we will know if the theft of a firearm (state jail felony - min. 6 mos in jail) or aggravated robbery (first degree felony - min 5 yrs in prison) charges hold.

And wasn't that kid committed to UTSA before the robbery? From right out of UNT's back yard? And hasn't UTSA established a pipeline to Lake Dallas? Another program in UNT's backyard? That's a problem, although the deniers will deny it. 

Yes he was plus USC and UCLA before that. Again, you have to think about the risk of bringing in a player that has had a troubled background. He ran with the wrong crowds and I'm ok with Littrell and co. taking a pass on this one. I do agree with you that the Lake Dallas-UTSA connection and especially Josiah T. signing are troubling to me but that was on Coach Mac.

It really looks like UTSA is outworking UNT in recruiting, and kicking their ass in their own backyard. That's a problem.

I'd agree that it appears that way at this point. I hope that gap closes before signing day.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1