MGB: Recruiting state of the union -- it's too early to panic

Brett Vito

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Vito's article is far from re-assuring.  We are all waiting for recruiting to end with a big upward swing, but there is absolutely nothing at this point to base that on.  Good coaching can not cover up for bad recruiting on a long-term consistent basis.  

Didn't Dickey win us multiple SunBelt Championship with bad classes? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The dead period lasts until Jan. 11. Coaches are not allowed to have face-to-face contact with recruits or their parents. They can’t watch athletes compete or visit their high schools.

What if its just a coincidence? Kind of like the time when Bill Clinton ran into Loretta Lynch in Phoenix coincidentally 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

"They aren’t interested in Twilight Tunes on the square'   I had a good chuckle at this. 

The, "Don't panic yet", is mighty reassuring. It infers that we may need to be ready to panic, so be prepared to panic, just don't do it quite yet. 

Though Littrell did say that there are good players out there in January, but there are also good players available in June, July, August, September, October, November, and December too. Him saying that creates a lazy approach or philosophy. And no, I am not calling any one coach on this staff lazy. It just manifests the idea that they can kick back maybe a little bit (more than other staffs) and wait until the misfits start to roll in at the end of the recruiting cycle. 

There is nothing good about what is going on in that athletic department as far as this recruiting cycle and the near future. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

"They aren’t interested in Twilight Tunes on the square'   I had a good chuckle at this. 

The, "Don't panic yet", is mighty reassuring. It infers that we may need to be ready to panic, so be prepared to panic, just don't do it quite yet. 

Though Littrell did say that there are good players out there in January, but there are also good players available in June, July, August, September, October, November, and December too. Him saying that creates a lazy approach or philosophy. And no, I am not calling any one coach on this staff lazy. It just manifests the idea that they can kick back maybe a little bit (more than other staffs) and wait until the misfits start to roll in at the end of the recruiting cycle. 

There is nothing good about what is going on in that athletic department as far as this recruiting cycle and the near future. 

Short-term should be focusing on the bowl game.. Long-Term should be on recruiting, this staff and Wren have a plan. We may not believe in the process, but we have to trust them.. which is difficult for a lot of us after after the whole RV thing

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Short-term should be focusing on the bowl game.. Long-Term should be on recruiting, this staff and Wren have a plan. We may not believe in the process, but we have to trust them.. which is difficult for a lot of us after after the whole RV thing

I think the whole RV thing shows just how much you don't "just have to trust them."

You hold them accountable every day.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, Eagleisland said:

Yes. But the accountability I hold them to is not how many starred athletes they sign, but how the teams perform with those they did sign. 

Teams don't perform when you lose recruiting battles on a consistent basis. Maybe this is a huge stealth recruiting plan. Maybe we land 8 or 10 guys with more than 8 G5 and above offers each. Odds are against that happening with 50 days left to recruit, but it could happen. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Not panicing.....yet.  But I'm certainly concerned at this point.

Can someone tell me what these guys do? What are their job descriptions?

Scotty Conley, Director of High School Relations(

David Stenklyft, Director of Recruiting

Yeah. That'd be great information to know. Maybe Scott directs relationships of high schools. And David there directs recruiting. What that means, I have no idea. What they do on a day to day basis, I have no idea. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah. That'd be great information to know. Maybe Scott directs relationships of high schools. And David there directs recruiting. What that means, I have no idea. What they do on a day to day basis, I have no idea. 

BTG did an entire segment on it. Not Conley, but Stenklyft for sure

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Teams don't perform when you lose recruiting battles on a consistent basis. Maybe this is a huge stealth recruiting plan. Maybe we land 8 or 10 guys with more than 8 G5 and above offers each. Odds are against that happening with 50 days left to recruit, but it could happen. 

Well, this is the time schools start poaching other teams recruits...that would be super stealth.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2

Well. nothing says that you should be very concerned about bad things happening like someone yelling don't panic. UTSA also has a bowl game to prep for and is recruiting like gang busters. Part of why we wanted to go younger with the coach was recruiting. Yes this class is not over yet, but we are significantly behind schools who have changed coaches etc. Everybody remember how littele time for the new coach was our excuse last season (together with 1-11). We have a better record and a staff in place. Stats say that recruiting usually does not improve as coaches get more tenured. Unless they significantly improve the results from the previous regime, the first two seasons are usually the best ones for recruiting due to all the new coach hype.

It is too early to panic, but we DO need some immediate help at OL and WR. And particularly at WR we need some real playmakers, not average guys. The current state of things is not reassuring.

This, together with the UTEP loss (more the way it happened than the fact we lost) has me at a point where I am more concerned that SL might have been the wrong hire after all than at any other point since he was hired. Fixing the recruiting class is actually more important long term than whether UNT wins that bowl game. And I fear they are not as related as some people think (I.e. winning the bowl game will probably do something for the fan base, but likely not all that much for recruiting).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

If you figure out what Conley does let me know.  We need someone who is in that position who can use social media better than this. 

That's his last tweet, check his timeline out click his name, then scroll.  He only tweets when they go to elementary schools. Never to any HS coaches about practices dates or times... etc pretty disappointing IMO. 

Edit: I know this isn't the only way to build HS relations, BUT most coaches are on twitter now and it's  instant access without having to travel all over the state etc.  I really would love this job I think it would be one of the greatest jobs there is.  Building relationships with HS coaches and helping them get their kids to a D1 University.  I'm WAY under qualified for that gig, but I think it would be a phenomenal and fun job.  From my experience with other HS relations guys they set up coaches coming to practices, make sure you see the facilities, and are introduced to other coaches.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1