Grade the Coaching/Performance

El Paso Eagle

18 minutes ago, BigDanTeague said:

This team has fewer players on scholarship than last year, and last year's team would've gotten absolutely woodshedded after getting down 17-0.

The biggest weaknesses were O-line and linebackers. O-line could not protect Morris from SMU's pressure. The UNT D-line did a respectable job after the first quarter, and many times properly protected the backers, who just couldn't get to the ball-carriers.

People who are already mailing it in on this staff ... I don't know what to tell you.

Both of these teams were noticeably better than last year.

I had pretty high hopes this team would come out ready to play, really didn't  see much of that...

I don't know this staff should be sent packing or not, but to lay this big of an egg at home in game one, it's doesn't speak well of the staff.

they could bring outa major difference I results, but so far...

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Graded against where expectations realistically are at this time, I'd give everything a C+.  No, it wasn't a great performance, but what could you seriously expect?  I still say they'll win next week, then find a way to win one they maybe shouldn't by the end of the year.

I expect to be competitive against an awful AAC team...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

i dont think it was all terrible... i think we had a very Dodge-esque moment when we gave up a touchdown on third and half the field...

if we take out the super shaky start, we played them 21-17 over the last three qtrs... i knw we can't do that, but i think we settled in ok after the rough start.

If you thought this team was going to just show up and win this game, you needed to watch where we were last year

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Army of Dad said:

I expect to be competitive against an awful AAC team...

I don't know about "awful."  SMU probably won't compete for a conference title, but they should be significantly better than they were last year.  And we were significantly worse than they were last year.  So if we're about where they were last year, that's about right.

Folks, this isn't going to happen overnight.  We have a very inexperienced starting roster with FCS-like depth behind it.  We should improve as the season goes on, but what is crucial is that this staff builds the team for 2-3 years down the road.

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, BigDanTeague said:

The biggest weaknesses were O-line and linebackers. O-line could not protect Morris from SMU's pressure.

Morris has to make better decisions, and he has to be more accurate.  In the second half he had back to back plays where he made terrible decisions, and then next series he had back to back plays where he missed two open receivers pretty badly.  

I don't know where he will be at by the end of season, he has a lot of rust to knock off.   However on Saturday night he wasn't a good CUSA QB, and that is what this team needs to compete this year.   

1 hour ago, BigDanTeague said:

This team has fewer players on scholarship than last year, and last year's team would've gotten absolutely woodshedded after getting down 17-0.

The biggest weaknesses were O-line and linebackers. O-line could not protect Morris from SMU's pressure. The UNT D-line did a respectable job after the first quarter, and many times properly protected the backers, who just couldn't get to the ball-carriers.

People who are already mailing it in on this staff ... I don't know what to tell you.

Surely nine of our defensive miscues had to do with them having a pretty dang good experience QB running around back there. 

• Upvote 4

I think the opening post is about spot on. On the other hand, this coaching staff doesn't have much to work with. The other threads have beaten a dead horse about the lack of talent on hand. There's a very realistic possibility that Seth Littrell is going to be searching for his first win sometime in the 2017 season (I have this team at 0-12). It's that bad right now. Morris has seen very little action over the past four seasons. He'll need to shake the rust off quickly or I predict he'll be replaced by the time conference play comes around if not sooner. The apparent weaknesses (the offensive line, the entire defense) were magnified against what is a bottom feeder from the AAC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, stryker said:

I think the opening post is about spot on. On the other hand, this coaching staff doesn't have much to work with. The other threads have beaten a dead horse about the lack of talent on hand. There's a very realistic possibility that Seth Littrell is going to be searching for his first win sometime in the 2017 season (I have this team at 0-12). It's that bad right now. Morris has seen very little action over the past four seasons. He'll need to shake the rust off quickly or I predict he'll be replaced by the time conference play comes around if not sooner. The apparent weaknesses (the offensive line, the entire defense) were magnified against what is a bottom feeder from the AAC.

I agree smu is a really bad team. We will be lucky to get two wins this year 

1 hour ago, BigDanTeague said:

OLine played well, IMO.  SMU blitzed on several plays, sending more than NT could block. Morris held onto the ball way too long on many occasions (not just blitzes). 

LBers struggled again tonight, agreed there....

Coaching tonight: D+

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Morris has to make better decisions, and he has to be more accurate.  In the second half he had back to back plays where he made terrible decisions, and then next series he had back to back plays where he missed two open receivers pretty badly.  

I don't know where he will be at by the end of season, he has a lot of rust to knock off.   However on Saturday night he wasn't a good CUSA QB, and that is what this team needs to compete this year.   

Man, I do not know how much of it was him, but it seems like 2 of those interceptions should be pinned on the WR. The first one to Goree seemed like Goree needed to GO GET THE BALL.

The one on 4th and 1 was disappointing, but almost a punt situation where the WR needed to go get it or play defense.

I just felt there was a lack of situational awareness from the WRs for a couple. Maybe Morris was accustomed to the WRs at Alabama attacking the ball harder, or being the physically dominant player in the match-up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

but it seems like 2 of those interceptions should be pinned on the WR.

Both were short into coverage.  There were two other times he threw into coverage where SMU should probably have made the play.  

Thompson should have had a huge night, he got missed when he was open behind people more than once.  

I'm not ready to give up on AM.  People should have expected him to be rusty.  However SL played several freshmen on Saturday so he had better shake off that rust quickly.  

SL is going to play whoever he thinks is going to win RIGHT NOW.

49 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Surely nine of our defensive miscues had to do with them having a pretty dang good experience QB running around back there. 

Spot on... Davis had a big advantage compared to Morris... Not so much in skill set but just in playing and not having the rust.. Also, I think the Defense may have played a little to amped up for this game. UNT was solid at times, but other times they didn't seem in Sync which is to be expected with a young team and new coaches. 

Also... Hamilton looks like he could be a very solid player down the line... Saw him bullrush the LT for SMU and pushed him into Davis. Fine as well looked good

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Both were short into coverage.  There were two other times he threw into coverage where SMU should probably have made the play.  

Thompson should have had a huge night, he got missed when he was open behind people more than once.  

I'm not ready to give up on AM.  People should have expected him to be rusty.  However SL played several freshmen on Saturday so he had better shake off that rust quickly.  

SL is going to play whoever he thinks is going to win RIGHT NOW.

I agree Thompson should have had a bigger night. I know the couple of times you are thinking about and they appeared to be over throws. But not by much. A couple, I saw go through the hands of WRs.

They just looked uncomfortable with each other.

Also, don't mistake me, I prefer SL to play whoever he thinks is best. He deserves that right now.

Edited by MeanMag