SMU opens -10.5 versus UNT

Harry

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Harry, this is so yesterday thinking. 

Playing SMU does zero to advance this football program to a higher level. Zero. 

A lot of schools do. RV F'd UNT by scheduling so far out. It was lazy, and I think toward the end, spitefully directed at the program and fanbase. 

Playing, and beating SMU does a lot to advance UNT.  We get a huge leg up in local recruiting.  Believe it or not, SMU still get some nice recruiting attention.  We start beating them on a regular basis, we gather a lot more local attention by coaches, players, news media.  even if we trade wins year over year, and they a good competitive games, we draw a bigger local crowd to both facilities....which give us better exposure to better players, who may want to play closer to home.  SMU vs UNT is a win-win for everybody....  We have to be more than competitive, and win to make it happen

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Playing, and beating SMU does a lot to advance UNT.  We get a huge leg up in local recruiting.  Believe it or not, SMU still get some nice recruiting attention.  We start beating them on a regular basis, we gather a lot more local attention by coaches, players, news media.  even if we trade wins year over year, and they a good competitive games, we draw a bigger local crowd to both facilities....which give us better exposure to better players, who may want to play closer to home.  SMU vs UNT is a win-win for everybody....  We have to be more than competitive, and win to make it happen

Think there will be plenty of recruits on hand for this game?   ...ones that possibly hold offers from both UNT & SMU?   

Even if UNT were to bring in a "recognizable P5" like, I dunno, Purdue/Illinois/Kentucky?  I doubt a win against one of those teams would sway these recruits in the same way a win VS SMU would.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A recognizable P5 program.

Like who? K-State? So we can get throttled in our own stadium(don't bring up PortSU, Littrell would never let that crap happen)? K-State and the like coming into our stadium does more to advance their recruiting than it does ours. The recognizable P5 programs either already have games in the metroplex or would require the game to be played at Jerryworld. It is like you live in an alternate reality that even the good RV did was bad. The SMU series was the best series he could've scheduled.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Think there will be plenty of recruits on hand for this game?   ...ones that possibly hold offers from both UNT & SMU?   

Even if UNT were to bring in a "recognizable P5" like, I dunno, Purdue/Illinois/Kentucky?  I doubt a win against one of those teams would sway these recruits in the same way a win VS SMU would.

bingo.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Like who? K-State? So we can get throttled in our own stadium(don't bring up PortSU, Littrell would never let that crap happen)? K-State and the like coming into our stadium does more to advance their recruiting than it does ours. The recognizable P5 programs either already have games in the metroplex or would require the game to be played at Jerryworld. It is like you live in an alternate reality that even the good RV did was bad. The SMU series was the best series he could've scheduled.

Throttled?

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewContent.dbml?CONTENT_ID=120980

you put last years team on the same field with ANY P5 we lose by 100+.  I cant stand the argument about bringing in P5's, why so we can get blown out in our own stadium.  WELL good thing we sold those extra 2000 beers.  because the only thing people are going to remember is we got are ARSE kicked AGAIN this time by a larger amount.  Give me a 10-0 season against G5 schools and a bowl game (even if we lose in said bowl) over a Raping at home in front of our fans by a P5 school.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If your goal is to be competitive in CUSA only, the above post has some validity. 

If you have higher goals for this program, it doesn't. 

Playing and beating a recognizable P5 at home would be a much bigger boost in all areas you mention than beating a terrible SMU team. 

You need to expect more. 

6 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

you put last years team on the same field with ANY P5 we lose by 100+.  I cant stand the argument about bringing in P5's, why so we can get blown out in our own stadium.  WELL good thing we sold those extra 2000 beers.  because the only thing people are going to remember is we got are ARSE kicked AGAIN this time by a larger amount.  Give me a 10-0 season against G5 schools and a bowl game (even if we lose in said bowl) over a Raping at home in front of our fans by a P5 school.

That's why we fired the football coach and the AD. You want to settle for small time Bulsh? Be my guest. I expect this program to be able to compete with anybody in Apogee, and if they can't, doe heads to roll.

Its called having standards, and the standards for this program have been far too low for far too long.

We get our ass kicked EVERY YEAR by a P5 ON THE ROAD where there is a far less chance for success. The public doesn't care where it happens, only selfish fans like you do, because  you are afraid you may have to watch it in person. I'll choose to give the kids a better chance of winning. If you want to choose to continue to support the largest human trafficking ring in FBS football, well, that's your right I guess.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If your goal is to be competitive in CUSA only, the above post has some validity. 

Playing and beating a recognizable P5 at home would be a much bigger boost in all areas you mention than beating a terrible SMU team. 

You need to expect more. 

That's why we fired the football coach and the AD. You want to settle for small time Bulsh? Be my guest. I expect this program to be able to compete with anybody in Apogee, and if they can't, doe heads to roll.

Its called having standards, and the standards for this program have been far too low for far too long.

We get our ass kicked EVERY YEAR by a P5 ON THE ROAD where there is a far less chance for success. The public doesn't care where it happens, only selfish fans like you do, because  you are afraid you may have to watch it in person. I'll choose to give the kids a better chance of winning. If you want to choose to continue to support the largest human trafficking ring in FBS football, well, that's your right I guess.

what are you talking about. We can't even be competitive on the field within CUSA. The smug series is good for both programs. It's better for UNT, no doubt. Smug has poured millions of dollars into being regionally relevant. They reap those benefits in recruiting. We beat them with some kind of consistency then we start to flip the perception switch in the DFW metroplex. We really, really, really need to flip that switch to keep from drowning down into the pits of FCS. Boise earned their perception from owning their conference, scheduling easy OOC games and playing up to their opponents' level in 'unplanned' bowl games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You need to expect more. 

You may not want to believe this but UH got more fans to show up and watch them play SWTSU-SM than P5 Vandy last year. Nearly 6,000 more.

Edited by Cr1028

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Unfortunately for us, Chris Cosh no longer coaches defense for K-State. He is on to killing Richmond's defense now.

So playing a P5 at home doesn't mean we have to get 'throttled', right?

You say SL wouldn't allow another PSU level defeat and yett you don't want to give him the chance to beat a "bigger" fish at home?

That said, I think SMU and Army are good series for us now, but since most football games are scheduled years in advance we should be looking to bring back P5s in the future. Plan for success, not failure.

Edited by Army of Dad

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

consistently winning advances our program.

Consistently winning against recognizable programs advances our program. 

Thats what got TCU to where they are. 

You want to go there or are you happy getting your ass handed to you once or twice a year at a P5 to make enough money to be an average CUSA team? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You want to go there or are you happy getting your ass handed to you once or twice a year at a P5 to make enough money to be an average CUSA team? 

I'd be pretty happy to start winning against anyone.

SMU is not representative of the world beaters I want to compete with one day, but they would be a step in the right direction.

I see how you are so black and white, with absolutes and ultimatums at nearly every turn. I think that's what gets others posters so riled up.  You lump everybody into one of two extremes.

3r4tht.jpg

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You may not want to believe this but UH got more fans to show up and watch them play SWTSU-SM than P5 Vandy last year. Nearly 6,000 more.

Vandy was Halloween night. Should have been higher attendance, but that's part of the reason.

1 hour ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

you put last years team on the same field with ANY P5 we lose by 100+.

I don't think Kansas beats UNT by 100+.  I think UNT could win.  They lost every game including an FCS loss.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Vandy, Northwestern, Texas Tech, Stanford, and Baylor x2. TCU played these teams OOC between '02 and '11 before they became a P5 themself in '12. 6 games in 12 years wasn't the difference. TCU was getting ranked in the polls way back in '00. Winning period advances the program. Winning against P5s helps more, but when you beat P5s, they don't want to play you anymore. See Texas Tech and Baylor. They prefer to beat up on SMUt now.

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'd be pretty happy to start winning against anyone.

SMU is not representative of the world beaters I want to compete with one day, but they would be a step in the right direction.

I see how you are so black and white, with absolutes and ultimatums at nearly every turn. I think that's what gets others posters so riled up.  You lump everybody into one of two extremes.

3r4tht.jpg

You are either moving forward are moving backward. UNT has been steadily moving backward the last 10 years. They need to change what they have been doing in a big way. This is just one example of where they need to change. 

Catagorizing isn't my deal. Kinda sounds like yours?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You are either moving forward are moving backward. UNT has been steadily moving backward the last 10 years. They need to change what they have been doing in a big way. This is just one example of where they need to change. 

Catagorizing isn't my deal. Kinda sounds like yours?

We're moving backward because we suck something fierce at athletic competition regardless of opponent. Just. Win. 

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol. This is the delusional hatred and the way overvaluing a terrible SMU program that UNT fans do on a consistent basis. Beating SMU will mean more to recruits than a victory over a Big 10 team?  Delusional lunacy.,

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

bingo.gif

Well, we didn't get "throttled" by K State the last time we played them at Fouts, did we?

For people who are supposedly UNT fans and supposedly believe Luttrell is the guy to turn this around, you Mofos sure do lack confidence in the product that will be on the field in a couple of years. 

Why is that? I mean this is from people who always accuse me of being negative, but when I try to suggest something that will give this program a chance to take off, these same people assume UNT will get blown out at home by a P5. 

That's optimism, right? 

So dumb.

SMU gets P5s to their tiny 30k seat stadium. But you say UNT can't. Typical negativity from a UNT fan who doesn't believe in the product, program, or new AD.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. This is the delusional hatred and the way overvaluing a terrible SMU program that UNT fans do on a consistent basis. Beating SMU will mean more to recruits than a victory over a Big 10 team?  Delusional lunacy.,

Well, we didn't get "throttled" by K State the last time we played them at Fouts, did we?

For people who are supposedly UNT fans and supposedly believe Luttrell is the guy to turn this around, you Mofos sure do lack confidence in the product that will be on the field in a couple of years. 

Why is that? I mean this is from people who always accuse me of being negative, but when I try to suggest something that will give this program a chance to take off, these same people assume UNT will get blown out at home by a P5. 

That's optimism, right? 

So dumb.

SMU gets P5s to their tiny 30k seat stadium. But you say UNT can't. Typical negativity from a UNT fan who doesn't believe in the oroduct, program, or new AD.

"At the end of the day (SL)", that's just, like, your opinion.