ESPN's First All-Time Poll

GMG_Dallas

ESPN just released its first ever all-time poll. There are about 100 schools on the poll but North Texas is not on it instead including schools such as Villanova, Iowa Pre-Flight, William & Mary, Holy Cross, and Fordham. I wasn't here for most of UNT's football history but for those who have been following the program for decades, what are your thoughts? It looks like the program had success in the 60s and 70s...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17201971/ohio-state-buckeyes-oklahoma-sooners-notre-dame-fighting-irish-top-ap-all-top-25

4 minutes ago, James said:

I'm still new to the game of life, but I would assume from what history I know that North Texas would make an appearance somewhere on that list. 

Based on the following criteria? (I don't think we've been ranked enough)

For the first time since that first poll in 1936, the AP has compiled an all-time Top 100 based on a formula that counts poll appearances (one point) to mark consistency, No. 1 rankings (one bonus point) to acknowledge elite programs, and a bonus for AP championships won (10 points).

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

For the first time since that first poll in 1936, the AP has compiled an all-time Top 100 based on a formula that counts poll appearances (one point) to mark consistency, No. 1 rankings (one bonus point) to acknowledge elite programs, and a bonus for AP championships won (10 points).

Further, it looks like the bottom rung of the ladder is credited with 16 points. How many times have we appeared in the AP poll? That should be how many points we have.

34 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

True. I should've actually visited the ESPN page prior to writing. Wasn't aware it was based off AP rankings and not opinion based. 

Seems like just another way for the media to forge the gap between "G5" and "P5." The gap will close in time and to be frank it's only a matter of time. Too many resources in recruiting, too many people around the country are starting to care from Portland St to The U. It's only a matter of time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

But guys, NTSU was a juggernaut in the 70s with REAL tradition and pageantry!

And 40s, and 50s, and 60s, and they were good in the 80s as well. 

As stated before, when you bump into guys like Lance White or Joe Greene at football games, you tell them North Texas State wasn't competitive.

From Odus Mitchell to Corky Nelson:
252 wins, 212 losses, 14 ties; 13 conference titles; .527 winning percentage over 45 years; 29 winning seasons

Go back to the hiring of Jack Sisco in 1929, add in his tenure, and the 1941 season of Lloyd Russell before Mitchell was hired and you have:
329 wins, 254 losses, 25 ties; 6 more conference titles, for a total of 19; .562 winning percentage over 59 years; 41 winning seasons

Stop putting down what happened at North Texas before Dennis Parker took over.  This was an excellent football school. 

Show some respect for the men who played during those great years.  Many of the players and university alumni from that era gave the money that allowed Apogee to be built.  College football didn't begin in 1991.  Sorry that you haven't seen the glory years that a great many alumni with North Texas State University emblazoned on their degrees saw.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1