No 128 Boys. We made it

MGNation92

Just remember, though, even though we are dead-ass last on this list and #126 on another, and coming off a season where we won a miracle game to avoid being winless, as well as adding a brand new head coach and an offense that is completely the opposite of anything this roster has ever run in college, us only winning 2 games against a very difficult schedule for our current situation means absolutely no progress is being made-- because progress means acceptance...and unless we go .500 or better, this year has been unacceptably wasted. (according to a regular poster on here...)

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Just remember, though, even though we are dead-ass last on this list and #126 on another, and coming off a season where we won a miracle game to avoid being winless, as well as adding a brand new head coach and an offense that is completely the opposite of anything this roster has ever run in college, us only winning 2 games against a very difficult schedule for our current situation means absolutely no progress is being made-- because progress means acceptance...and unless we go .500 or better, this year has been unacceptably wasted. (according to a regular poster on here...)

If you dont go from 1-11 to 11-1 in one season you're a failure. Don't you know that?

I seriously think we could win 3-4 games this season. If Littrell and co. do better than that I'll be happily surprised

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I seriously think we could win 3-4 games this season. If Littrell and co. do better than that I'll be happily surprised

This is where I am. Let them implement their vision, and go through the growing pains. Showcase what the potential is.

There will be glimmers of hope in between some grimacing.

50 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If you dont go from 1-11 to 11-1 in one season you're a failure. Don't you know that?

If he takes this roster and wins 3-4 games this season against this schedule, Seth (Or Seat if you work for the AD) won't be coaching here beyond three years. Hell, Morris at SMU gets al kinds of kudos and is always mentioned as a candidate at bigger jobs and he led SMU to two ins last year in his first season following the 1-11 disaster the year before.

I think SMU will win 3-4 games this season, just like USM did under Todd Monken in 2014 in his second season there. Winning 1-2 games in their coaches first year laid the foundation and it really sped up for USM after that, while yet to be seen for SMU, but by all accounts, it looks promising. I'm sure that they had a fan that thought Monken sucked afte rhis first two years of taking over a disaster at USM, since winning 4 games in two seasons after taking over a winless team from the previous coach means ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS was made as it would certainly mean that was acceptable. Fortunately, Monken overcame that fan by winning 9 games and earning a CUSA West Championship. If we are really, really lucky, Seth (or Seat) will be able to say the same thing here...that only starts by improving recruiting substantially from where it has been since the Dodge years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If he takes this roster and wins 3-4 games this season against this schedule, Seth (Or Seat if you work for the AD) won't be coaching here beyond three years. Hell, Morris at SMU gets al kinds of kudos and is always mentioned as a candidate at bigger jobs and he led SMU to two ins last year in his first season following the 1-11 disaster the year before.

I think SMU will win 3-4 games this season, just like USM did under Todd Monken in 2014 in his second season there. Winning 1-2 games in their coaches first year laid the foundation and it really sped up for USM after that, while yet to be seen for SMU, but by all accounts, it looks promising. I'm sure that they had a fan that thought Monken sucked afte rhis first two years of taking over a disaster at USM, since winning 4 games in two seasons after taking over a winless team from the previous coach means ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS was made as it would certainly mean that was acceptable. Fortunately, Monken overcame that fan by winning 9 games and earning a CUSA West Championship. If we are really, really lucky, Seth (or Seat) will be able to say the same thing here...that only starts by improving recruiting substantially from where it has been since the Dodge years.

That's the idea.    

Seth Littrell is not going to be UNT's Bobby Bowden.  

Seth Littrell could be to us what Dirk Koetter was to Boise St. though, and that would be a great thing.

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's the idea.    

Seth Littrell is not going to be UNT's Bobby Bowden.  

Seth Littrell could be to us what Dirk Koetter was to Boise St. though, and that would be a great thing.

Absolutely--but my point is that we won't know if he is a failure after this year, even if we go winless. The roster he has to work with is the reason we are rated 126-128 in two recent rankings. 

2018 is the season I will continue to point to--SL will be in his third year, should have a QB that knows his system, recruiting will hopefully have improved, and our schedule should be much easier, just off of the CUSA East possibilities. This is where I see getting 7+ wins and challenging for a CUSA West Championship as being feasible. Our home schedule in 2018 would be SMU, FCS, La Tech, Southern Miss, UAB and one of these CUSA East spares (Old Dominion, Charlotte, FAU, or FIU). Add in games at Army, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, CUSA East spare listed above, and at the bodybag, you can see that if a third year coach hasn't gotten us competitive enough to get 7 wins against this collection of teams, it probably isn't in the cards for us to make it much further as a FBS program.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Morris at smug gets the publicity not because of his on the field performance. Please understand that. It's because $. Media. And $. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

McCarney took a horrible Dodge team and won five games.  It could happen.  Probably won't, but it could.

Mac took a bad, not horrible (they won 3 games and stayed within 9 of a pedestrian K St the previous year) team with a lot of good recruits and won 5 games.

Mac got more than he gave. Much more.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Mac took a bad, not horrible (they won 3 games and stayed within 9 of a pedestrian K St the previous year) team with a lot of good recruits and won 5 games.

Mac got more than he gave. Much more.

Mac destroyed the football team inside and out while complaining about the program and university publicly on multiple occasions.

(And the one year he won a bowl he did it with the players from Dodge who he said were too small.)

This was my feeling when Mac and RV left...

download (14).jpg

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Mac destroyed the football team inside and out while complaining about the program and university publicly on multiple occasions.

(And the one year he won a bowl he did it with the players from Dodge who he said were too small.)

This was my feeling when Mac and RV left...

download (14).jpg

Same 

• Downvote 1

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

... us only winning 2 games against a very difficult schedule for our current situation means absolutely no progress is being made ...

I understand the need to set realistic expectations, but two wins is not progress. It's failure. Coaches in the FBS don't get five years to rebuild.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

I understand the need to set realistic expectations, but two wins is not progress. It's failure. Coaches in the FBS don't get five years to rebuild.

I disagree--when you won a game because a really, really bad team came to your place and had to replace the 4th string QB with the 5th string QB in the second half and allowed a late TD to lose by 7 to us, and that represents your only win last year, you aren't coming from a good place. We should have been 0-12, but we did get to 1-11, including the worst loss in modern college football history. If you only win two games this upcoming season, while being considered the worst team in FBS for the season ahead, if you win a couple of games, it means you aren't the worst team in the country. Right now, that is progress, no matter how much it kills anyone to admit.

When you get buried under 100 pounds of horse$hit, the first thing you gotta do is dig out and get some air. Doesn't mean you won't stink still and that anyone is going to please to be associated with you, but you have made progress in moving up from the current situation.  

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:43 PM, MGNation92 said:

Just because I did this last week from the cfn website ranking the FBS, I went and looked at how Athlon rates the entire G5 of 62 teams for 2016.

#1 G5 team is UH. #62 is North Texas

In the top 10 of the G5s, you have UH, Boise State, San Diego State, South Florida, Air Force, Temple, Cincy, Appy State, Navy, and Southern Miss. Conference Breakdown is 5 AAC schools, 3 MWC schools, 1 SBC school, and 1 CUSA school.

In the top half of the G5s (the top 31 teams), the conference breakdown is 9 AAC schools (UH, USF, Temple, Cincy, Navy, UConn, Memphis, Tulsa, and East Carolina), 8 MWC schools (Boise State, San Diego State, AFA, Utah State, Nevada, Colorado State, UNM, and San Jose State), 6 CUSA schools ( USM, MUTS, Marshall, WKU, La Tech, and UTEP), 5 MAC schools (WMU, Toledo, NIU, CMU, and Ohio), and 3 SBC schools (Appy State, Arky State, and Ga Southern).

Overall ratings of each conference--AAC--19.6 (#1 UH and #51 Tulane), MWC 27.1 (#2 Boise State and #55 Hawaii), CUSA 33.5 (#10 USM and #62 UNT), MAC 34.7 (#11 WMU and #58 EMU), and the SBC 36.6 (#8 Appy State and #60 ULM).

Just wanted to show how another college football media looked at our level of play. CUSA comes up a little better than the MAC on this list, while the MAC was a bit ahead of CUSA in the CFN poll. The AAC and MWC still look much better as a whole, at the top half of the G5, and especially at the top of the G5 in the top ten.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, rcade said:

Thank you. Salaries meet expectations. It's not 1982 anymore. Win or get out of the way for someone that will. I don't expect 10 wins in year 1, but I don't concede to 2 either like Jimmy here does. He keeps beating this drum, but lately he's been wrong on his drum beats. We are Macless when he said it was IMPOSSIBLE. We are RVless when he stated the same. He says that UNT doesn't care about athletics. Yet those things have transpired and not to mention we have a top 5 CUSA budget. So, Jim, beat away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2