Star Telegram's Take On RV's Resignation.

The print version this morning is a small two/three paragraph ho hum effort from wire reports....But the online version has much more detail.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/college-confidential-blog/article79292632.html

After a 1-11 football season that included a group of North Texas fans paying to fly a “Fire Rick Villarreal” banner over Apogee Stadium, the school’s longtime athletic director resigned Monday....

Things got so bad this season that North Texas fans tore a page out of the playbook of die-hard fans of major college football programs, but with a twist. Flying a banner over the stadium has become common practice, with the fans calling to fire the head coach. This group of Mean Green fans called instead for the ousting of the athletic director.....

Rick

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

What some people fail to comprehend is it didn't matter when the banner flew, just that it flew. 

Multiple media members were notified of when it was going to fly ahead of time so the all important visual images could be collected for print. This was ALWAYS about the media the banner would generate and the pressure that would put on Smatresk and the BOR.

RV and Smatresk may have called us "a minute few," but here it is, a short 6 months later and "the minute few" got exactly what they were calling for. 

How much did the banner matter? That will be debated on here for quite some time, I'm sure. But just by the stories on RV's dismissal, it's clear the media thinks it mattered. A lot. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

What some people fail to comprehend is it didn't matter when the banner flew, just that it flew. 

Multiple media members were notified of when it was going to fly ahead of time so the all important visual images could be collected for print. This was ALWAYS about the media the banner would generate and the pressure that would put on Smatresk and the BOR.

RV and Smatresk may have called us "a minute few," but here it is, a short 6 months later and "the minute few" got exactly what they were calling for. 

How much did the banner matter? That will be debated on here for quite some time, I'm sure. But just by the stories on RV's dismissal, it's clear the media thinks it mattered. A lot. 

We get it. You do not have to keep this tirade going. 

It mattered. In less than a month he will be out. Now it's time to move on and take that negative energy and apply it to where it will now be proactive for the program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

qc-pat-on-back.png

I find it funny that the people saying I'm patting my own back are the same people who said and did nothing, always do nothing, and would have accepted 5 more years of the Hattiesburg Hustler without blinking an eye.

Did the funding of the banner by multiple alumni and myself matter? That's up for debate.

What isn't up for debate is those that did nothing affected nothing.

11 minutes ago, JRock said:

The banner is just part of the equation to him resigning. Believe me. We were not the only ones who saw the problems. 

No doubt.

11 minutes ago, JRock said:

The banner is just part of the equation to him resigning. Believe me. We were not the only ones who saw the problems. 

No doubt. But we gave it a public voice. Both sides were needed to undo the manipulation that had occurred with many people.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

I find it funny that the people saying I'm patting my own back are the same people who say by and did nothing, always do nothing, and would have accepted 5 more years of the Hattiesburg Hustler without blinking an eye.

Did the funding of the banner by multiple alumni and myself matter? That's up for debate.

I think your idea of "do nothing" and mine (along with many others, I assume) is very different.    I think most of us here have done plenty to rock the boat.  Mostly with our money and attendance... or lack thereof.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

It's great RV's gone but damn it, a banner flown 7 months ago had nothing to do with it! Quit patting yourselves on the back. Years and years of bitching that only 17 matter but all of a sudden spamming a message board for half a decade and flying a banner midday on a Thursday were the catalyst for change? Get a grip. YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!

This guy, he gets it

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I've been wearing my anti-shark attack bracelet for a month.  NOT ONE shark bite.  This thing works!!!

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think your idea of "do nothing" and mine (along with many others, I assume) is very different.    I think most of us here have done plenty to rock the boat.  Mostly with our money and attendance... or lack thereof.

I think that's nice. I obviously don't think that was enough in this unique situation. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

I find it funny that the people saying I'm patting my own back are the same people who say by and did nothing, always do nothing, and would have accepted 5 more years of the Hattiesburg Hustler without blinking an eye.

Just because you say something, doesn't make it true.

Years and years of you and others claiming nothing will be done, NT doesn't take athletics seriously, etc. Now you take credit when something happens. Expected, but still amazing. At least @untjim1995 was man enough to admit he was wrong.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

It's great RV's gone but damn it, a banner flown 7 months ago had nothing to do with it! Quit patting yourselves on the back. Years and years of bitching that only 17 matter but all of a sudden spamming a message board for half a decade and flying a banner midday on a Thursday were the catalyst for change? Get a grip. YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!

By the tone of your post, I don't think we are the ones that need to get a grip

1 minute ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

Just because you say something, doesn't make it true.

Years and years of you and others claiming nothing will be done, NT doesn't take athletics seriously, etc. Now you take credit when something happens. Expected, but still amazing. At least @untjim1995 was man enough to admit he was wrong.

You still don't get it, do you? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think that's nice. I obviously don't think that was enough in this unique situation. 

I believe you also contributed in the same way didn't you?  You left b-ball tickets behind, right?

I think you doing that, along with 1000's of other people doing the same thing had a MUCH BIGGER influence than y'all's pet project.   Let alone the results on the gridiorn/court...

35 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

Agree...I just can't figure out why in the name of Hayden Fry that damn banner just keeps popping up in news articles?  I mean...what's wrong with these reporters reporting such reports these days? 

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

29 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I find it funny that the people saying I'm patting my own back are the same people who said and did nothing, always do nothing, and would have accepted 5 more years of the Hattiesburg Hustler without blinking an eye.

No doubt.

No doubt. But we gave it a public voice. Both sides were needed to undo the manipulation that had occurred with many people.

You win.  It was all you and your idea for the banner, your idea to berate us for months on this message board, etc...  You win because you were a club level ticket buyer that carries much more sway than us "sit in the stands with the common man" fan.  You win the internet today.  Great job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe you also contributed in the same way didn't you?  You left b-ball tickets behind, right?

I think you doing that, along with 1000's of other people doing the same thing had a MUCH BIGGER influence than y'all's pet project.   Let alone the results on the gridiorn/court...

That wasn't enough.

Look, sporting events at UNT have been woefully attended for decades. It's the norm. Very few notice when attendance goes from 3500 to 1500. No one in the media notices, much less reports on it. More had to be done to penetrate the poisonous culture RV had created for self protection.  I know it burns asses here that I'm the one that created the go fund me, hey, tough tits. Step up and do something next time. There were around 15-20 people who contributed to the fund, including one contributor from overseas that put in a large chunk of it. Those people decided to do something that was effective. You didn't. Live with it and don't criticize those people for getting involved and affecting change (even in the smallest amount).

What is clear is the banner mattered to the media. That is why we are seeing the banner referred to and pictured in articles. The media influence opinion. 

You either get this or you don't. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You win.  It was all you and your idea for the banner, your idea to berate us for months on this message board, etc...  You win because you were a club level ticket buyer that carries much more sway than us "sit in the stands with the common man" fan.  You win the internet today.  Great job.

Come on, now. Don't be a sore loser. Let's kiss and make up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

38 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So what I am hearing is that EVERYBODY is on board again and will buy season tickets and show up for every football and basketball game?  That is Fantastic!!!!

It's nigh on impossible to get 100% for anything. RV stepping down/being fired/retiring/whatever will provide a chance for the fanbase to heal and rally around new leadership.

It will take time to build what was torn down and we won't get everyone back. Some will take longer to return than others (too many crotch kickings make people wary). 

Edited by Army of Dad
Correcting autocorrect
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That wasn't enough.

Look, sporting events at UNT have been woefully attended for decades. It's the norm. Very few notice when attendance goes from 3500 to 1500. No one in the media notices, much less reports on it. More had to be done to penetrate the poisonous culture RV had created for self protection.  I know it burns asses here that I'm the one that created the go fund me, hey, tough tits. Step up and do something next time. There were around 15-20 people who contributed to the fund, including one contributor from overseas that put in a large chunk of it. Those people decided to do something that was effective. You didn't. Live with it and don't criticize those people for getting involved and affecting change (even in the smallest amount).

What is clear is the banner mattered to the media. That is why we are seeing the banner referred to and pictured in articles. The media influence opinion. 

I think diving attendance and 5-19/26-37 records influence opinion way, way more.  

And I think the media agrees with me because just about every single article about RV's 'resignation' says something about losing athletics, and you are able to comb the internet for a handful of links that mention your banner.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1